The Simpsons on Sesame Street

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I looked up the celebrity version of Monster in the Mirror, was watching it all casually, when all of a sudden The Simpsons showed! I was SO surprised and excited at the same time to see one of my favorite shows currently cross over with my favorite childhood show. That is SUCH a big deal, because The Simpsons were pretty much the Family Guy of the 90s. By that I mean, parents deemed it the worst show for kids! It had language, drug references, blood, violence, drinking, smoking, adult humor, religious and ethnic stereotypes, and much much more. I was SO surprised that Sesame Street would put a TV-14 show in one of their episodes, but it made me SUPER happy at the same time. What's next? Will Rick and Morty appear on Sesame Street? Wubba wubba wubba wubba lub lub dub dub, LOL, :excited:. Anyway, why did Sesame Workshop put an adult cartoon on SS? Please discuss this epic crossover below!

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Similar I think to how people like Richard Pryor, Mike Myers as Wayne or Chevy Chase as his Weekend Update persona made cameos in the series and in Chase's case, Follow that Bird. I dunno if it was "Put an Adult Cartoon on SS" as much as it was just another big name to make a cameo. Just happened that they were animated. If I remember didn't Batman and Robin also make cameos early on as well. Pink Panther too? (May need someone to fact check that).
As to WHY they were able to swing that...now...that is an interesting story I'd like to hear. Because it is pretty random.
I'd be all for a Rick and Morty crossover. Heck, use the puppets they used to promote their DVD boxset last year. That'd be perfect.

C to the J

Reaction score
Some of the pieces thrown into the latest Simpsons episodes are something you'd never really see/hear in the earlier episodes. For that, I'd point the blame squarely at today's society and the audience's interest.

And if you think seeing characters from a TV-PG-rated show (TV-14 in rare cases) appear on Sesame Street is odd, check out how many parodies of TV-14 and TV-MA-rated shows were made on Sesame Street. It's that one issue I meant to bring up ever since I joined the forum.

Shame they never bother to make parodies of cleaner shows. Are adults really meant to be subjected to the same highly objectionable content all the time? Not all of us are crazy about shows that have a negative influence on children and the young at heart. What I'd give for shows along the lines of, say, The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some of the pieces thrown into the latest Simpsons episodes are something you'd never really see/hear in the earlier episodes. For that, I'd point the blame squarely at today's society and the audience's interest.
The Simpsons has always been marketed to kids, even when the show became more adult. We had Butterfinger ads made when the show was still a part of Tracy Ulman and we had Burger King Kid's meals as recent as last fall (they were odd little school supplies this time). I even saw a little kid in a Simpsons t-shirt and shorts set at the playground when I was 10 or so. Even the Lego sets and blind figures seemed to say they were marketing this to both kids and Adult Fans of Lego (an actual term). Otherwise Homer would have come with a Beer instead of a Buzz Cola and we would have seen Lego versions of Moe and Barney.

Then of course, back in 99, I saw a Nickelodeon Kids magazine announce Futurama on the front cover...second episode had Leela have relations with Zap. Of course, this show was never directly marketed to kids outside of that.