The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Yep. No one will care about this one. Actually, everyone will make a thing on how this is so terrible.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll admit, it's not Norm of the North bad, but just unnecessary to release to theaters. Kudos for Belgium or France or whatever for making some cartoon movie of their own, but I know they can probably do better. But seriously. We don't get Asterix and the Vikings even though it had US voice actors who the movie was animated to with American-y pop culture reference, making the movie out introduction to the franchise, essentially an Asterix movie for us, but we get this beautifully animated but GAWD awful cliche storm of a kiddy flick instead?

Darnit Summit! Can't you just stick to punishing us with less than mediocre YA novel based movies with the same basic plot?

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
It's bad because it is a foreign dub, slated for release this year, therefore they needed to write a script QUICKLY. Unfortunately, that's how many foreign animated movies dubbed for here (besides anime, probably) are made.

Luke kun

Reaction score
There are a lot of video game movies being released this year... Ratchet & Clank, Angry Birds... and in a year or so, my own Pokémon Black & White: The Movie will hit the big screen... although my film will be 2D animation/Flash, not CGI.

Best CGI hands down is Toonami's between-show bumpers. TOM is sexy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! Would you believe they have a toy catalog on their site that features merchandise of The Littlest Racing Cars (or whatever it's called, I'm probably accurate with that guess)? And if the toy catalog is to be believed, seems like they probably had a Mockbuster of Planes as well, and trying to get an edge up on Disney by making a Boats ripoff before they even made a Boats movie that didn't even happen.

Boy. Would they have been sore if Planes was successful and Disney went with "Trains" instead. And yes, I have every reason to think that if they did "Trains" before "Planes," the films would have been more successful....

ehhhrrr...but don't tell them that.

Seems Brinquendo is out of the picture. Haven't seen of or heard from any other foreign ripoffs of Disney movies for a while either. Other than the two Russian films they dubbed to be Planes knockoffs, the only thing that comes close is releasing Dino Time to DVD around the time Good Dinosaur came out. Or at least inbetween Jurassic World and TGD. And that was made years earlier.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Remember what I've said before about there seeming to be some sort of an unwritten rule that all animated movies now have to include SNL castmembers doing voices? Well, surprise, surprise, that SAUSAGE PARTY movie is no exception: once again, we've got the mandatory inclusion of Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig doing voices again. I don't mind Bill Hader so much, I do like him, but it feels like any movie Kristen Wiig is in she's basically shoehorned into the cast. . . . and I think it's causing her ego to inflate that she had to get nasty with John Goodman at a party just because he wanted to tell her that he's a fan of hers and enjoys her work.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think it's causing her ego to inflate that she had to get nasty with John Goodman at a party just because he wanted to tell her that he's a fan of hers and enjoys her work.
I don't think she was being nasty at all. From what i've seen, John saw her at a party and started fanboying over her and he interrupted her while she was in the middle of having a conversation. So she simply asked him to hold a minute, he got embarrassed. That's all there is to the story.
If anything, it looks like John is the one with the ego, not Kristen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I don't know if I'm going to bother with it or not yet, I really hungered for some 1970's style R rated animated comedy films. Seems that was a completely untapped market. I wouldn't doubt that most of the cast is from SNL since most animated films seem to feature a lot of them now. But at least they have distinct enough voices. Like I said a while ago somewhere else, Dreamwork's folly (before they went full CGI) was casting good looking actors and actresses with no distinct voices whatsoever that didn't give the characters any personality. Like that forgotten Sinbad movie. Quite a lot of voice actors start their careers as comedians, like Tom Kenny. Phil LaMarr started out in MadTV, and he's also a staple. I don't see why you wouldn't want a cast that has experience with impersonations and creating weird characters.

I do like how a good deal of the SNL cast also does television animation as well. There's that series Nature Cat that utilizes mostly SNL talent, except for Kate Micucci and the odd Sesame Street puppeteer. Mainly because it's recorded in New York.

That said, what I find a distinct lacking of is an adult animated action series. Even televised the best we can get is still action comedy. If there's anything I can safely say Japan has kicked the US's butt in in terms of animation, it's the lack of animated action films for the older viewer. I'd love to see something like Golgo 13 or Goku Midnight Eye come out of the west. I at least give credit to DC's line of DTV's. The adaption of "The Killing Joke" is getting a hard R for its disturbing and dark subject matter. Everything else at least manages to be PG-13, so there's that much.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said a while ago somewhere else, Dreamwork's folly (before they went full CGI) was casting good looking actors and actresses with no distinct voices whatsoever that didn't give the characters any personality.
What about Nathan Lane and Lee Evans in MOUSEHUNT?