ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
It was fun while it lasted. At least we know they tried, and we were able to see the Muppets return to primetime television.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How should I react to this?

I'm a little p***ed. Frankly, I'm pretty p***ed about this and their friggin' taking a General Sherman to their schedule and killing Marvel's Most Wanted in the process. I'm ticked off because of the jerkwad running the network. And I'm even more ticked off that we had to wait until freaking May for them to pull the plug like the greedy relative that just wants the inheritance. If they said "Yeah, it's over." a week after, that would have been tolerable. To have the small fandom twisting in the wind just to torture us with news they could have broke months ago. And I swear this is some pathetic attempt to appease the share holders that obviously didn't care that Zootopia, Jungle Book, and Captain America pretty much farted out a steady stream of cash. Nope. Gaming division and TV are losing small amounts of money. OH NOES! Better kill the highly profitable Disney Infinity game. Seriously. THAT should have been the sign. They were willing to chop off a limb with a rusty axe to save money easily recouped by Captain America T-shirt sales. Seriously...*^&%$ share holders.

But frankly, that's nothing compared to what we really should be upset about. The Muppets just don't have an audience. No one wanted to see MMW because reasons. The show lost viewers who wanted the carbon copy of the old series with celebrities they like (all in their 60's BTW) because everyone thinks their childhood is so freaking important that if anything where to slightly question it, it's the worstest thing of all time. Not to mention the younger viewers who just loved to snark about how terrible the ratings were before binge watching something overrated on netflix on their phones. Even the friggin Muppet fanbase didn't like the fact they took the show in a new direction. Even if we were all part of the "why in hades is this still a thing" crooked ratings system it would still have crap ratings. And frankly, I can't even be mad at Disney because they at least tried with 2 movies, 2 specials, and a TV show. Henson would still be trying to make ONE crappy special and even failing at that. Disney's synergy couldn't save a MARVEL project when the movies are making billions. Of course a low budget TV show that could survive bad ratings was burned down. And for whatever reason no one got on the show, all I can say is a hearty "&^%$ It!"

Part of me wants to be optimistic that there's a new project on the horizon, the other part of me says just dump the freaking Muppets into the same "We don't care" pit Disney Afternoon, Emperor's New Groove, and Black Cauldron are thrown in, only to be picked out for a poorly designed T-shirt. Frankly, that part of me is absolutely done with The Muppets. I kinda wish this show was never picked up and instead they chose something with Joey from Friends as the head of a Tropey house hold was picked over it and canned within 4 weeks. I retroactively hate this show and hate all the excitement I felt for it. I'm not going to put everything remotely Muppet related on e-bay or the garbage can just yet, but I think I'm over the franchise. As in franchise any project or product that will either come out to no applause or get stuck in development purgatory.

But what it boils down to is the fact the general public that still consumes media is... I hate them. I hate them all. And not just for this, but the whole imbecilic paradoxical nonsense that shapes how screwed up media is. The same people who desperately want sequels to movies they love but at the same time nothing they do appeases them. People who want shows to come back, but whine about how terrible the quality is when it does. Those who whine about how Hollywood makes nothing but big budget explosion riddled blockbusters, but were conspicuously absent from films that are freaking different and original like American Ultra and Keanu and go see something Michael Bay produced anyway. And...blah blah blah something about how fickle and spoiled the PPG fanbase is because the new series wasn't pulled directly from the butt of Craig McCracken. What we have here is an audience that got turned off that The Muppets didn't just play their greatest hits, yet if they did, the same exact audience would get bored, say "it's just not the same" no matter how the same it is and go to either A) a stale to the point of petrified 14 year old anti-terrorist propaganda piece made specifically for old people to have a freaking Nightlight on or B) phone or internet crap depending on the age bracket.

This is another loss for us, and frankly, I'm starting to not care. There is one thing Disney can do with the Muppets left, and the time for that has come. We're going to have to go "Muppet Babies."

snichols1973

Reaction score
Well here, this is what I've been trying to say.

And now that ABCTM has been cancelled, it feels more like the disappointing sequel reset from MMW:

:embarrassed:: Well, we're together again, we've got the theater and all our fans are back.
:sympathy:: Actually, those were extras.
:embarrassed:: I saw a few tapping their toes.
:wink:: Yeah, those were paid dancers.
:embarrassed:: Oh.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
So what's going to be the Muppets future at this point, will they keep doing stuff or will they be swept away in the corner like James and the Giant Peach.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
We haveMuppets courtyard coming so that shows that Disney still want us

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney wants it but ABC doesn't. All the synergy in the world couldn't save Marvel's TV properties, a freaking franchise that has multiplied the Marvel Purchase several hundred fold if not a thousand in movies and merchandising, what makes you think they'd be able to save a show from a modestly if successful at all franchise that at least has been low budget enough for smaller profits?

I love the bell curve on something like this. The general TV watching public is apparently too smart and selective to watch The Muppets, but are just lowest common denominator enough to keep Last Man Standing and Shart Tank still on the air til the end of time. Maybe make one of the Muppets one of the Sharks? or shove them into "Over Rated, Poorly Written Tweenage Disney Fan Fic" Once Upon a Time?

While I'm ticked that The Muppets will never at least eclipse the number of MT episodes, if they renew that poo splat of a program "The Family," I'll REALLY be annoyed.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I am deeply disappointed in this on so many levels. I thought the show was improving as the season went on, the writing was getting better, the interactions and different character plot lines improving, etc. But the other side of the coin, unfortunately is this doesn't surprise me.

ABC has a terrible history of not giving shows a fair chance, and I came to the conclusion last night I really have no more use for them as a channel anymore: they've canceled this, Muppets Tonight in the 90s, Tim Curry's sitcom "Over the Top" after only 3 episodes, ruined 8 Simple Rules after John Ritter passed by bringing in the talentless David Spade, killed off Sheriff Graham on Once Upon a Time, canceled two of my mom's soap operas after almost 40 years, and no longer show The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights which I always looked forward to.

Waste of airwaves in my opinion at this point.