Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4618 - A Very Cookie Mother's Day

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
In that case it would've been nice for Gina to have been their.
I'm just glad they included someone who's like a mom. It feels like non traditional families are forgotten on Mother's/Father's day, so at least Sesame Street acknowledged they exist.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
I also want to note that things don't follow exact continuity on this show, especially nowadays, so that fact D'Snowth brought up about Nina having few scenes with Big Bird doesn't matter much, as it implies she's been around enough, we just haven't seen it.
I absolutely agree, but I think this cements that the show is really only using Alan, Chris, and Nina as humans now. It would have been so easy to insert Susan or Gina into that spot, but they chose to use Nina instead. We haven't seen any other humans on the show so far this season, and as far as I can tell from behind-the-scenes pictures of season 47 it's still only them.

I think this comes down to the show trying to make itself like the other kids' shows out there. Look at the shows on channels like Sprout. They normally have one (typically young) human and the rest of the characters are puppets. So, I think the show has scaled back its human use to just those three to try and do a similar format in order to compete with them.

This is not awful in my eyes. I mean, I like Alan and Chris and I'm warming up to Nina (I still miss Leela), but I do kind of hope I'm wrong.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I absolutely agree, but I think this cements that the show is really only using Alan, Chris, and Nina as humans now. It would have been so easy to insert Susan or Gina into that spot, but they chose to use Nina instead. We haven't seen any other humans on the show so far this season, and as far as I can tell from behind-the-scenes pictures of season 47 it's still only them.

I think this comes down to the show trying to make itself like the other kids' shows out there. Look at the shows on channels like Sprout. They normally have one (typically young) human and the rest of the characters are puppets. So, I think the show has scaled back its human use to just those three to try and do a similar format in order to compete with them.

This is not awful in my eyes. I mean, I like Alan and Chris and I'm warming up to Nina (I still miss Leela), but I do kind of hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind so much about the older cast members not being there if Mando and Leela were still on the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't mind so much about the older cast members not being there if Mando and Leela were still on the show.
The only thing that really ticks me off about the lack of appearances from those two is that they made such a big deal about both of them coming on the street, only for them to be priced out of the show. I'm sure the fleeting demographic doesn't mind, and only the older kids will wonder why they're gone. Still, to make that much of a fuss to have a contest to cast a new Latino character only to use him for a year or two...kinda d**kish. I'm glad they cast another Latino to fill in for that gap, so there's at least that representation still left. And this is clearly a budget move SW had to make before HBO's money kicked in (before it was even a thing, really). I want to forgive that, I really do... they could have at least kept Mando in.

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
Are Susan, Gordon, Luis, Bob, and Gina only credited for honorary purposes at this point? While I completely understand why they appear less frequently, I wish they at least appear occasionally as grandparent figures (minus Gina).

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
The only thing that really ticks me off about the lack of appearances from those two is that they made such a big deal about both of them coming on the street, only for them to be priced out of the show. I'm sure the fleeting demographic doesn't mind, and only the older kids will wonder why they're gone. Still, to make that much of a fuss to have a contest to cast a new Latino character only to use him for a year or two...kinda d**kish. I'm glad they cast another Latino to fill in for that gap, so there's at least that representation still left. And this is clearly a budget move SW had to make before HBO's money kicked in (before it was even a thing, really). I want to forgive that, I really do... they could have at least kept Mando in.
I honestly think Ismael Cruz Cordova and Nitya Vidyasagar exited the show on their own terms. It does seem unlikely that the show would publicly cover their search for a new cast member only to dismiss him from the show after two seasons. (Unless studies show he didn't test well with the children watching or some other reason like that.) It seems most plausible that those two exited the show on their own terms.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I also found it strange that Big Bird sang about how much Nina is like a mom to him, considering we've only seen them interact together maybe, what, once? If perhaps he was singing about Maria or Susan (or maybe even Gina), I could buy that, but we haven't seen much of Big Bird and Nina interacting. If anything, I almost expected a cameo by Granny Bird.
Yeah. That was strange. Nina only made her debut this season and already she's like BB's mom. Maria and Susan would have made more sense, but since Sonia Monzano is no longer with the show that would have been hard. Susan may have worked and it would have been a good way for her to have an appearance this season, but I don't know. Maybe Loretta wasn't available when this was filmed. It does seem like Granny Bird would have been their best bet.

It's also unusual that the characters have different mother's each time. Recall Two-Head's mother used to look like Telly and she didn't have two heads.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Maria and Susan would have made more sense, but since Sonia Monzano is no longer with the show that would have been hard. Susan may have worked and it would have been a good way for her to have an appearance this season, but I don't know. Maybe Loretta wasn't available when this was filmed.
On one hand, it would've been nice if Susan had made an appearance, but on the other hand it would be confusing to most of the audience if they said she was his mother figure but than she didn't show up for any other episodes. There really aren't that many kids who still know who Susan is.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actually, I wonder about her fate on the show, because as much they've been talking about the departure of Luis, Bob and Gordon, they haven't really said anything about whether Susan will still be on the show or not. I'm thinking she'll probably go as well since she has been phasing out anyway the last few seasons. (Except for a recent season where she appeared in about four episodes, but of course so did Maria, Gordon, Bob, Luis, etc.) So with Gordon and Miles gone, I don't think Susan will have too much of a role anymore. I could be wrong on this. (I was wrong once in 1987, so it's possible.) Hopefully I'm wrong, but you never know.