Now what's going on with YouTube?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Chrome is actually, as I have found out, HORRIBLY HORRIBLY optimized for both Windows 10 and people like me with large screen resolutions. So unless I wanna look at everything zoomed out to microscopic levels, or zoom in and make everything blurry and not displayed properly, I've long since switched to firefox. Chrome is also very very slow anymore compared to firefox. I can't even get chrome to work on my windows 7 ancient slow as a snail computer anymore. BUT I DIGRESS

I just checked to see if anything weird was going on with the Edge browser, and I seem to be getting all of the playback options.

So I highly doubt its google trying to force people to change, It's probably, as everyone keeps saying, EI being a terrible unsupported browser. You gotta remember that site coding is NOT universal. Each browser actually has different requirements for the person coding the site to take into account. IE lacks the features that are so commonly supported in other web browsers a lot of sites just dont bother coding work arounds for it. Im not an expert on the subject so i cant really explain WHY...just that it happens.

Heck, I gotta be careful on tumblr about which tumblr themes I use, because some themes are coded specifically for chrome and dont work properly in firefox cause firefox can't render or display certain features, like pop up boxes when you hover over links.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ugh, listen, when it comes to coding, I had a heckuva time relaunching KGZ last month, because even though the whole site looked fine in IE with no problems at all, both Firefox and Chrome distorted the layout, so I finally had to get a coding expert I know to come in and help work the little issues out so that the site would like right in all browsers. Again, this is one of the main reasons I've held onto IE for so long, because it at least displays sites nicely: both Firefox and Chrome seem to have issues with certain layouts, and neither seem to smooth fonts like IE does, which is a big plus - when reading text in Firefox or Chrome, I feel like I'm looking at sites on a 90s computer.

That being said, the way Google is catering forward to the affluence of people who have these ginormous 4K monitors and setups further makes it clear to me that Google isn't in this to service everybody: just the privileged few. I mean, when I see people happily uploading videos in 2 and 4k, I almost want to comment on them and say, "d00d! there'z so many peepuls out here wut dont got no 4k monitors bruh!" Even though my computer (still operating on 7, thank you very much) is maxed out as far as it will hold in terms of RAM (8GB) and diskspace (nearly 600GB), it still doesn't have the horsepower to render/buffer/load any video format higher than 1080; just trying to watch a 4k or even a 2k video on YouTube results in incredibly choppy playback (like I used to put up with even with 240p videos on my old computer that was still barely puttering along on 512MB of RAM), and my fan starts whirring so loud it sounds like a jet engine.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Ugh, listen, when it comes to coding, I had a heckuva time relaunching KGZ last month, because even though the whole site looked fine in IE with no problems at all, both Firefox and Chrome distorted the layout, so I finally had to get a coding expert I know to come in and help work the little issues out so that the site would like right in all browsers.
So then you should understand what I'm getting at. It's easier for web developers to code things so that they work in chrome and firefox and just ignore IE completely because the people who use it are in lower numbers than FF or Chrome. And honestly? If google was trying to get people to switch to chrome, wouldnt you think EVERYONE who wasn't using chrome would have these issues? If google wanted people to switch, then FF, Edge, Safari, Opera, and whatever other browsers are out there wouldnt work on google owned sites. SO obviously is just google not caring to code in IE support. Just because other websites work fine in IE, doesnt mean they are supported.

Look, I'm beyond the point of trying to get you to change browsers because I really dont care what you use. I'm just trying to help you to understand why you are having so many IE issues.

Quite honestly I think Firefox has a really weird choice of font display myself and I'm not too fond of it but eh.

That being said, the way Google is catering forward to the affluence of people who have these ginormous 4K monitors and setups further makes it clear to me that Google isn't in this to service everybody: just the privileged few.
I'll agree with you there. Google right now has its head shoved so far into the future that its looking at the NEW and EXCITING technologies that hardly anyone can afford and not really looking at the big picture. I guess in my case chrome would look fine if I had like a 30 inch monitor, but no, I'm running a 1980x1080 hd resolution on a 15 inch monitor. Normal resolution for a 15 inch monitor seems to be more in the 1320x720 range (the first number may be off i dont remember the exact size of my old computer). I didnt have to mess with any display settings on firefox. it automatically scaled to fit my resolution, but with chrome I had to mess around with zoom settings on both my computer itself and in chrome and i still couldnt get anything to look right. So I guess now chrome only works if you have a giant freaking monitor that no one can afford.

Honestly why do you even need a 2 or 4K monitor?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Honestly why do you even need a 2 or 4K monitor?
I can understand it if people out there like to play around with technology in general, and have the money to indulge in such hobbies, like people out there who love to go filming with drones and GoPros - or perhaps even some gamers out there. But yeah, for the average joe? Who can barely afford a decent home computer (I'm lucky I was able to get my computer for under $1,000)? Yeah, not so much. Admittedly, I remember seeing these monitors in a computer store looong before they were even common for anybody (this was years and years ago) - I was floored by the sheer size because I had never seen a computer monitor the size of an HD TV.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I feel like I'm convinced that YouTube has some . . . let's just be ambigious and say "perverts" . . . working for them. Because I swear, certain videos are popping up in my recommendation for no reason, and they are just pedo fuel. I'm not lying. All I've watched on YT today were some Let's Play's of Oregon Trail (anyone remember that?) and a SST clip Oscarfan posted . . . and somehow, amongst all that, I get this video in my recommended: it's of a little foreign girl (I honestly can't tell what language she's speaking, but the title appears to be a Latin language), who clearly hasn't even reached puberty yet, wearing nothing more than a sweatshirt and a pair of underwear, doing what appears to be yoga moves or something of that nature . . . and the comments are absolutely disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Some of which are going so far as to even suggest that they'd like to gang rape her. And remember what I was saying a while back how, for whatever reason, I was getting a number of recommended videos for no reason from some preteen girl who apparently has millions of subscribers and each of her videos had like millions of views? Again, I'm starting to feel convinced that YouTube has some perverts working their system or something, because there is absolutely no rhyme or reason why I should be seeing videos like this in my recommended when they are in no way even remotely related to any of the kinds of videos that I do watch on YouTube - and I watch a variety of different things, but none of them pertain to little girls. And again, the very fact that videos like this are clearly getting a lot of attention from people out there (and to top it all off, as I said, the comments on the aforementioned video are beyond unacceptable) has me very bothered and disturbed about just what kind of things are going on within YouTube itself. I mean, when did pedophile baiting suddenly become a function?

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
You could always clear your browsing / search history on YT or hide recommended videos all together. I've not noticed anything like that on my YT, a lot of the time it recommends Minecraft videos, video reviews, and cartoons. Maybe some funky stuff went on and starting with a blank slate will be good.

Sick of Irrelevant YouTube Recommendations?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I've had my search history turned off for quite some time now (that way I don't have to clean it out all the time), and the only other things that were presently in my watch history were a couple of storm chasing videos.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Ah, maybe turn recommended videos off then in your preferences. Or turn history back on and you may get more accurate recommendations. That is odd YT behavior.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Is it just me or are comments being processed much slower than usual?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what Youtube desperately needs? A "Do not give me these piece of &^%$ videos I NEVER freaking want to watch in all my suggestions because I watched a video with one keyword that sort of matches" option.

Errr... a "block all videos from this user" button.

I've said this time and time again, but I am sick and freaking tired of these low quality "Kid's Play-Doh Surprise Egg [fill in the blank cartoon and or movie license]" videos. WHY is that a BLOODY thing?!?! Not to mention videos from "SuperHero Team" which you'll probably recognize as those terrible"Spider-Man Vs. Pink Spider-Man Frozen Elsa Joker Funny" videos. Jeeezawwwz! If anything actually makes me want Disney's lawyers to swoop down and kill Fair Use, it's those endless parades of terrible Superhero Team videos.