Remembering Jim Henson...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Great Menu, Jamie!!!

I remember the sad day, too.

More importantly, I want to remember something else than the terrible dark day we lost Jim.

I remember being a kid and rushing off the school bus and getting inside just a little bit of time after Sesame Street had begun, or those nights (I think 7 pm on CBS?) when The Muppet Show would come on, I would be GLUED to the set. I was fascinated by all these different characters that were talking (and sometimes to 'me') that I was further inspired to create, and Muley the Mule is what was the result.

Jim has been responsible for many people's inspirations, but more importantly he's responsible for many people's happiness. Through is characters we've learned to deal with each other, diversity, patience, and many other parts of society that, without that knowledge, we would be stuck-up and prejudiced losers. Without Jim and the Muppets the world would not be a good planet, but he's left the world a little better place by his having been here.

His wish did come true.

Thanks, Jim, and God Speed.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Muppet Show was an important part of my life growing up. My dad always worked very hard and it was sometimes difficult to see him on the weekdays, but he'd get home in time for the Muppet Show a couple nights each week and he'd watch it with me. Sometimes he can't remember the names of longtime friends, but he can tell you half the cast of the Muppet Show. Along with it being an exceptional show, I also have this wonderful memory attached. Thank you Jim Henson. :smile:

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Jim Henson was the best guy. Better than Disney or George Lucas or anyone. Thank you for the menu tribute Jamie, and I hope you leave it up there for a while.:big_grin:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
It was 1996 when I learned of Jim Henson's death and--come to think of it--Jim himself. At that time, I was JUST starting my Muppet fandom. I was watching a "World's Greatest Performances" special on ABC, and in the opening sequence said "The Muppets say goodbye to Jim Henson" or somethin' like that, and I was like "Uh, what, did he retire or something?" At that point, I pretty much only knew "Jim Henson" as the name at the end of the credits. Then I saw the performance from the 1990 tribute special and realized that Jim Henson, whose characters I had just begun to know, was dead, and had been for six years.

Since then, I have almost religiously followed his work and have even said the "Jim" days were the good 'ol days of Henson, and I wasn't even AROUND for most of that time. :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway, the work of Jim Henson has inspired me to pursue a career in puppetry and experimental puppet film. Watching programs like "The Muppet Show," the fantasy films, and even "Sesame Street," I realize how he and his colleagues pushed the boundary of puppetry and film time and time again, and I think they can be pushed even further. I was already (and still am) interested in a career in media and entertainment from following Walt Disney, but Jim's work made me want to actually create characters--whether they're cute, edgy, funny, thought-provoking, or just plain gross. Now all I gotta do is get a puppet *sheesh*. :smirk:

So thank you, Jim Henson. Though I never knew you, you left me with a lot.

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
I remember it all too well...

I walked into a college class to hear the teacher and a few students talking about the fact that Jim Henson had died. I thought is was a mean joke or prank, as it felt very unreal. I don't remember the rest of that day at all after that point. I do remember cutting school to attend the funeral.

During my life I have been lucky enough to meet my heroes. I met my favorite comic book artist George Perez at a convention when I was 14 or 15. We actually got a chance to talk before his panel.

I met my favorite actor and comedian Robin Williams (a Reeeally nice guy) while working at the Forbiiden Planet sf/comic book/toy store in NYC at the age of 19. We used to joke around and tease the customers until they realized who he was.

I met Robert Plant at the Compleat Strategist, a store in NYC that sells the Dungeons & Dragons game. We spoke for a half hour before I realized who I was talking to.

In life, I never got to meet Jim Henson. It is one of my great regrets. I do however feel that he touched my life in profound ways and that by attending the funeral, I got to meet him in a fashion.

AD

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I agree with you guys. Remembering his life is a much better way than remembering his death.

My parents raised me on Sesame Street and old Muppet Show compilation tapes from 1985 (I had/have Muppet Treasures, Kermit and Piggy Story, and Children's Songs and Stories, the last one turning me into a Scooter fan. Anyone else notice how any character besides Scooter in that (besides the stuff from the Muppet Show) was performed by Jim Henson?), and I think they always thought I'd grow out of it like most kids do. Then, as I got older, I kept watching and actually UNDERSTANDING some of the jokes. These guys were funny! The show and Jim Henson have been big inspirations in my life. Seeing some of his other stuff has also grown my appreciation for him and the Muppets. Like Kevin with his Muley, Jim and his Muppets got me started in making my own characters. And, the Muppets have kind of affected the way I act now.

I know you can't hear me, but, thanks, Jim. And all who made your dreams come true. :smile: :stick_out_tongue: :smile: :stick_out_tongue: :smile:

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
I agree with you guys. Remembering his life is a much better way than remembering his death.

I know you can't hear me, but, thanks, Jim. And all who made your dreams come true. :smile: :stick_out_tongue: :smile: :stick_out_tongue: :smile:
I couldn't help but remember his death, since what it meant to me can be summed up in one post, something that would be impossible for me to do with his life.

Otherwise I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'm also hoping that maybe, just maybe, he can hear us.

We miss you Jim. And we love ya.

Peace.

AD

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Wonderful menu Jamie:smile:

originally posted by Fozzie Bear he's left the world a little better place by his having been here.
Well put:smile:
I too was not old enough to realize when he died and didn't find out until some years later. When someone makes you smile just thinking about them, you know they did well in life and made the kind of difference they always wanted.

Here's to Jim, thank you for giving me one more reason to smile:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's really cool that on this day I got to meet Oscar the Grouch, Caroll Spinney and Dave Goelz. :concern: I've had a very Henson day. It's just weird how that worked out. Been wearing an Animal T-shirt and Kermit watch all day long. :smile:

(PS - Glad you guys enjoy the menu. To answer the question, celebration and memorial menus are usually left up for 24 hours.)

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Being only 17 I barely remember Jim Henson's death but I do remember a little. Although I have loved the muppets since I was very young I have become more into them after his death, im a total muppet maniac now.
I have the documentary on video called The World of Jim Henson and its all about his life and all the magical things he did, I dont like to admit it but its very hard to watch it without having your eyes filled with tears especially nearer the end.

I recomend that documentary to anyone who hasnt seen it, its Excellent and it made me even more of a fan of Jim henson and the muppets.

I also deeply regret that I never got a chance to meet Jim Henson even an autograph would have been great but it would have been difficult as I live in Australia.

:smile: :stick_out_tongue: :sympathy: