The Muppets on Netflix? Hulu? Amazon?

smalltimecrook

Reaction score
So right after ABC cancelled The Muppets, the rumour circulated that Netflix or a similar streaming service might pick it up and then we heard nothing more. Now the show is nominated for an Emmy.

So my question is - does anyone know anything? Are talks actually happening? Is there still a chance that the show might get picked up by someone else or is it now too late?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It wasn't a rumor, it was something fans speculated should happen to the show since ABC didn't renew it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As someone who was annoyed this show got canned, but reasonably understood why, I'd love this to happen.

However, I really think that they should not so much start over, but try to redo the series from the angle of us directly seeing Late Night With Miss Piggy, and keeping the behind the scenes drama to one character arch per episode. They can totally leave the studio, they can totally show a lot of behind the scenes chaos, but show more of the talk show. I almost wish that was the retool.

That is, if this were to be a thing.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I would love for the show to return, but there probably isn't much of a chance. Honestly, I think the reboot or whatever ruined the show, it started good, and then episodes 9 and 10 were just perfection. Then, they rebooted the show. The sketches fell flat, the guest stars were not big and added nothing to the show, lame human characters, the forced songs were subpar, everything was about Miss Piggy, and that annoying trope where the characters "pretend" to like each other for some sort of situation, and end up getting together, this is not the muppet show I wanted to see. What I wanted was for them to explore new things, and they did at first. Fozzie shooting Statler with a T-Shirt gun, Bobo and The Newsman competitively selling girl scout cookies, that plot was gold, I mean when would anyone expect to see those two characters in a plot. Fozzie getting tranquilized, just all new possibilities. The reboot had literally nothing new, and back to the Kermit and Miss Piggy thing, come on. Despite this I wouldn't say the reboot was terrible, but I would have rather have them continued with what they were doing, though if there was a streaming service that would air new episodes great, hopefully they return to more muppety stuff, and not the Kermie and Piggy show.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I would love for the show to return, but there probably isn't much of a chance. Honestly, I think the reboot or whatever ruined the show, it started good, and then episodes 9 and 10 were just perfection. Then, they rebooted the show. The sketches fell flat, the guest stars were not big and added nothing to the show, lame human characters, the forced songs were subpar, everything was about Miss Piggy, and that annoying trope where the characters "pretend" to like each other for some sort of situation, and end up getting together, this is not the muppet show I wanted to see. What I wanted was for them to explore new things, and they did at first. Fozzie shooting Statler with a T-Shirt gun, Bobo and The Newsman competitively selling girl scout cookies, that plot was gold, I mean when would anyone expect to see those two characters in a plot. Fozzie getting tranquilized, just all new possibilities. The reboot had literally nothing new, and back to the Kermit and Miss Piggy thing, come on. Despite this I wouldn't say the reboot was terrible, but I would have rather have them continued with what they were doing, though if there was a streaming service that would air new episodes great, hopefully they return to more muppety stuff, and not the Kermie and Piggy show.
I really don't think the retool is what killed it. They fixed many of the issues that people had with the show and because of it the show started to get much more praise than the pre-retool episodes. I think part of what killed the show was the fact that the hiatus was longer than most of ABC's other shows.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I really don't think the retool is what killed it. They fixed many of the issues that people had with the show and because of it the show started to get much more praise than the pre-retool episodes. I think part of what killed the show was the fact that the hiatus was longer than most of ABC's other shows.
I meant the reboot kiled the show for me, I know other people praised it after it, but it became tedious, the finale was good, but the rest was meh and unintersting, as I said unfunny human characters, forced in sketches and songs, and more interest on Miss Piggy, and completly throwing most of the minor characters that shined in the first half back in the background, I didn't like it, but as I said it was still okay.

JT Yorke

Reaction score
They gave the fans what they wanted Kermie and Piggy back together, i think it went to fast but since its canceled now we will never know what happend on that holiday (unless pepe tells me)

Drtooth

Reaction score
The hiatus was the same hiatus as every show on that night. The problem was they announced the reboot. That was the big "mea culpa" that had the snarkier viewers snarking for the show's downfall because how the heck dare anyone screw with out childhood that we willingly called "gay" when we were 12! And for the record, I'm mixed about the "reboot" too. They were eventually growing to some of what they were about to change, some of what they did change was for the better. I really think that the whole in show problems with the producers really didn't amount to anything that interesting since they blew through it so quickly.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
The show is dead, but I'd laugh if the series hit Netflix just airing season 1. Netflix and Disney have a deal that will start in the fall to give them full access to their entire catalogue. It would be ridiculously easy for Netflix to nab The Muppets and put on there due to the IP. In fact, I could see them adding all five seasons of TMS, the 2011 and 2014 flicks in addition to possibly even TMM, GMC (which was on it at one point), MCC and MTI. Why not? They're just languishing in Disney's vaults and that gives them an entire library of Muppets content to use. Wouldn't it be amazing if they nabbed Muppets Tonight as well?

While I don't think Disney would ever revive this sitcom exactly, I think that this would be a really smart thing to do (although I like the fact that WDW is apparently injecting the IP into three of their parks). The Netflix inclusion of Animaniacs, despite its prior presence on Amazon Prime for years made such a gigantic splash that the entire voice cast is now going on tour.

I think this is what Disney needs to do if they want these characters to really survive: give it into the hands of millenials and old alike. Give them access from the earliest to the newest Muppet content. Everybody uses Netflix.