Where are the older humans?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, let's face it, some of the castmembers have admitted over the years that the budget has always played a factor in their appearances on the show, or lack thereof. I mean, how often do we see all of the humans in the same episode? Usually only for special occasions like season openers or finales, because they otherwise can't afford to pay every castmember to appear in every episodes. Even Caroll noted how big a deal the "Goodbye Mr. Hooper" episode was for having all of the human castmembers on the show, when they typically just have two or three of them at most.

As I previously said, while I'm not entirely bummed about the loss of the older humans, because we know they're not going to be around forever anyway, it's the way they're all suddenly being let go like this that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Katzi428

Reaction score
About Gina not returning:
Although I stopped watching long ago, wasn't one of the biggest plot lines from Season 30something Gina adopting Marco from Guatamala? & they were supposed to show her raising him in the United States? (maybe I'm wrong.)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, they didn't really do much with that, though. He only appeared in like 5 or so episodes since then.

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
I have the strongest feeling that this is mostly due to budget. I still think the big picture isn't so much that the older cast members are being retired because kids would only pay attention to younger cast members, but rather less cast members on the payroll. Mando and Leela's absence is also a thing to note, especially how Mando was part of the huge roll out of the highly publicized Latino casting call. Corners are no doubt being cut these last 2 seasons, even with HBO's money kicking in the filming of season 47. It's not really as sinister as it sounds so much cheap.
Yeah it seems like even tho season 47 will be the first season without the older cast members. It's quite obvious this past season in season 46 they were getting quite the phase out.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I have the strongest feeling that this is mostly due to budget. I still think the big picture isn't so much that the older cast members are being retired because kids would only pay attention to younger cast members, but rather less cast members on the payroll. Mando and Leela's absence is also a thing to note, especially how Mando was part of the huge roll out of the highly publicized Latino casting call. Corners are no doubt being cut these last 2 seasons, even with HBO's money kicking in the filming of season 47. It's not really as sinister as it sounds so much cheap.
But here's the thing. If they wanted to save money wouldn't it make more sense to at least keep Mando or Leela instead of hiring an entirely new cast member?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea why this was preferable. Only thing I can think of is trying to consolidate a female character and a Latino character.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Frankly, I think they should've kept Mando. Not just because they hardly got to use him, but also because I think, Latino men seem to be more harshly stereotyped than Latina women.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
That might have been one of the reasons. But I do know it was a lot of different things that had to do with Northern's behavior that got him terminated from the show in 1989
Actually, the reason Northern left the show after Season 20 was because of his health (he had gotten stomach cancer), which had nothing to do with his behavior--he continued appearing on the show anyway until his 1989 departure.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Actually, the reason Northern left the show after Season 20 was because of his health (he had gotten stomach cancer), which had nothing to do with his behavior--he continued appearing on the show anyway until his 1989 departure.
Actually, he was fired because of his behavior which had to do with mental health issues and drug abuse. He was becoming increasingly hard to work with. As some have said, by the time of his last episode, he could hardly remember even one line. According to the Street Gang book, Dulcy Singer said Northern was let go, but he took the news rather well.