Where are the older humans?

zhelder

Reaction score
This was just posted on Emilio Delgado's Facebook page:

Thanks to everyone for your love and appreciation of Bob, Luis & Gordon. It's very gratifying to experience the outpouring of love and appreciation from our fans. My dear friend and colleague Roscoe (Gordon) prepared a statement that speaks for all of us. It accurately sums up the current news about the fate of Bob, Luis & Gordon ...

"To all of you who have expressed your appreciation and support for the years of work and service to Sesame Street by me and my colleagues, I thank you! Due to your overwhelming reaction regarding the status of myself and others on the show, the new producers of Sesame Street have reached out to us with an expressed desire to continue our longstanding relationship, to be initiated with a meeting in September. Hopefully, this will result in the inclusion of veteran cast members in upcoming productions. I look forward to sharing with you at such time, the results of that conversation. Thanks again for your loving support and devotion to Sesame Street and to what it has meant to the children of the world."

Hopefully we had some effect, but I'm not holding my breath...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hope this is the case. I understand slowly phasing humans out as they've been doing the past few years (it was the Chris and Alan show for a long time before hand), but to just permanently let them go the way they did comes off callous. At the risk of saying "no one lives forever," I'm sure these guys would be spry enough to work on the show a good long time. At some point, they would have either left the show of their own volition or their health would inevitably force them to retire. They should be associated with the show as long as they want to and as long as they're able. Getting kicked off the show sends a nasty message, even one unintentional. I'm glad SW realizes what a PR nightmare news reports saying "Bob got fired" is to older fans, even though they haven't watched the series since their kids grew up.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I read the article about us losing Bob, Roscoe and Emilio. That is sad news, but they may make future guest appearances. Heck, maybe even Sonia will make a guest appearance or two. You never know.

Last edited:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This was just posted on Emilio Delgado's Facebook page:

Thanks to everyone for your love and appreciation of Bob, Luis & Gordon. It's very gratifying to experience the outpouring of love and appreciation from our fans. My dear friend and colleague Roscoe (Gordon) prepared a statement that speaks for all of us. It accurately sums up the current news about the fate of Bob, Luis & Gordon ...

"To all of you who have expressed your appreciation and support for the years of work and service to Sesame Street by me and my colleagues, I thank you! Due to your overwhelming reaction regarding the status of myself and others on the show, the new producers of Sesame Street have reached out to us with an expressed desire to continue our longstanding relationship, to be initiated with a meeting in September. Hopefully, this will result in the inclusion of veteran cast members in upcoming productions. I look forward to sharing with you at such time, the results of that conversation. Thanks again for your loving support and devotion to Sesame Street and to what it has meant to the children of the world."

Hopefully we had some effect, but I'm not holding my breath...
It's statements like that that make me proud to be a fan!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. I read the article about us losing Bob, Roscoe and Emilio. That is sad news, but they may make future guest appearances. Heck, maybe even Sonia will make a guest appearance or two. You never know.

Honestly, I think that's really all we all want. I'm sure most of us who still follow the show were aware that's the extent they were being used in recent seasons. One or two, maybe three episodes a season. I can understand them not being available to keep coming into the studio routinely, rather than a day or two. Letting them go completely was the problem. If it was a case of being welcome to appear on the show in capacity ranging from full episode to cameo or a matter of availability, that would be far more understandable. If it was the choice of the actors to say "I've been on this show 30-40+ years, time to pack it in," totally understandable. The way this was handled was the problem. Doesn't help that it comes on the heels of trying to reboot the show a 5th time.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It would be nice to know Bob, Emilio, and Roscoe have the option to come back if they so desire. I generally don't believe in entitlements, but after each of them put in at least four decades on the show, you'd think they would have at least the SMALLEST say in if they want to continue.
They're fortunate enough to have other extraneous activities to keep them from sitting home and doing nothing. Book signings, personal appearances, etc.
Plus, like Bob, who does a telethon in Canada every year, Sesame has generated enough goodwill to keep him relevant there, if not on the Street.

If it's in their fate to come back, great, hopefully no hard feelings.
If any of them decide to walk, like Joey did, who could blame them?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, kids these days don't even know or care about the human characters, I could understand from a commerical standpoint why they were let go, it's not like they were used much in the seasons before, though seriously that was pretty rude. Here's three guys who dedicated 40+ years to working with a TV show and no goodbye, they're just yanked away, that's just pathetic in my opinion.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Somebody comment on the ToughPigs' Facebook that they blame Disney for this.

People. R. Ill-Informed.
I've even seen somewhere out there where somebody is saying JHC needs to take the show back, even though it was never their show to begin with.

Censored

Reaction score
Seems the old schoolers who refuse to watch anything related to the show are coming out of the woodwork to whine about how terrible this is when if this wasn't publicized, they wouldn't have known or cared about the older cast leaving. And frankly, yes, this is conflicting to me.
There are 2 issues. The many changes that have been made on Sesame Street through the years are debatable and there are arguments on each side. However, betraying veteran members who have been loyal to the show for years and years is quite another issue. Prejudice and hatred of seniors is a major, and often overlooked, problem in this society. One doesn't have to watch a show to see the injustice in it.