Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Overall, the one thing that makes this a better second film than the actual second film is that at least it hits different notes on the way to a similar plot.
I'm right there with you. Especially Erin's frustration at being ridiculed, which wasn't something that ever really bothered the guys.

I also liked the ways the Internet and YouTube was incorporated into the plot. Felt very spot on, which strangely isn't always the case in Hollywood movies.

Though, for what its worth, I like Ghostbusters 2, and I especially like the scenes with Murray and Weaver in both films, and if there's one thing I feel this new film is missing, it's something like that.
I get the impression they were trying to avoid adding a romantic subplot so they wouldn't be labeled a chick flick, hehe. That's another thing that's really cool about GB16, the lead female characters aren't "sexualized" in a "gratuitous" way, like in many action movies. And frankly, I'll be blunt, I do think that was the reason some (not all) fans were turned off by this movie.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Nostalgic Critic gave a perfect explanation of this debacle towards the beginning of his review.
If you mean the part about the world having more important things to worry about, I agree. :smile:

All in all, it hasn't been a debacle, apart from some very toxic "fans." A lot of people ended up enjoying the movie, and again, outside of the Internet, people are able to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I get the impression they were trying to avoid adding a romantic subplot so they wouldn't be labeled a chick flick, hehe. That's another thing that's really cool about GB16, the lead female characters aren't "sexualized" in a "gratuitous" way, like in many action movies. And frankly, I'll be blunt, I do think that was the reason some (not all) fans were turned off by this movie.
The one thing that impressed me was that despite all the bullcrap about how "feminazi" this movie was, they managed to make a small statement about double standards with Kevin the secretary. He was only hired because Kristin Wiig's character thought he was hot.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The one thing that impressed me was that despite all the bullcrap about how "feminazi" this movie was, they managed to make a small statement about double standards with Kevin the secretary. He was only hired because Kristin Wiig's character thought he was hot.
Right, it's not like they're supporting the double standard. Abby points out that Erin's questions are illegal (which was my first thought, lol).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So a fan board just told me, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." And a few other oh so pleasant things. Why? Because I defended the reboot of course.

Has it all been worth it? I just don't know anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Ghostbusters fanbase has proven themselves to be the worst fanbase online with this. And that's saying something because all fanbases online are essentially terrible. I mean, definitely the Sonic the Hedgehog "everything they made after Sonic Adventure was horrible, but we'll make X-rated fanart of every character anyway," Transformers half "everything that's not G1 is terrible" half "you're not a true fan unless you like everything" dysfunctional mess.

There are things I totally understand. Ghostbusters does not need a reboot or sequel or even a new cartoon series. Doesn't even need the comic book. Didn't even need a sequel back in the day. It's a franchise that can rest entirely on the laurels of the original movie and maybe the cartoon series (though for me, it's cartoon series first, movie second). If there's any one the fanbase should be rightfully indignant about, it's Sony for trying to milk the franchise when they really didn't need to. No matter what movie would have came out of this, be it a third film, a reboot of any kind, female or not, or even a one off side story, a certain amount of the fanbase would have hated the film anyway. That's just how things go. And no matter the quality of the film, someone's going to find things wrong with it, down to nitpicky nonsense, that's also how things go. But the behavior, even now, has been ridiculously terrible.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Ghostbusters fanbase has proven themselves to be the worst fanbase online with this.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt a bit and say it's just the latest symptom of fan entitlement, which has been a growing annoyance. Ghostbusters just happens to be the latest victim.

Say what you will about Ghostbusters II, but they did try to warn us about negativity. Who would have thought it would be the fans to create the next River of Slime.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt a bit and say it's just the latest symptom of fan entitlement, which has been a growing annoyance. Ghostbusters just happens to be the latest victim.
That's something I usually come to accept. Just... I get being angry that there's a "reboot," even though it's basically just a placeholder film because Sony grew tired of waiting for the third movie to actually happen since everything's been stop and go. That's a given. I can even understand being a little annoyed by the gender flipped cast, though I complete disagree. But the behavior has been disgusting. You even get flamed if you didn't hate the movie enough. Just...I agree the movie probably shouldn't have been made no matter what form it took. I think we got the best option, a disconnected film that has no backwards bearing to the original 2 movies. No botched worse sequel, no prequel trying to explain things and ruining their meaning in the original movie. Just an alternate universe film that's basically a one and done (I doubt there's going to be a sequel, even though they announced it) with like 2 other GB films still coming.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But the behavior has been disgusting. You even get flamed if you didn't hate the movie enough.
Not that it's any earth shattering crisis but I probably won't be going to Comic Con this year. I know there are good geeks out there, but right now I don't want anything to do with this culture. It's incredibly sad.