HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And I know everybody says I complain about this too much, but this is on TV too much, so I'm going to keep complaining about it as long as it enters my attention . . . but already, this new show is automatically bad, because guess what one of the aspects of the show is? That's right! Sex! Already in the promos, one of the daughters tells her parents about sleeping with another girl (and denying she's a lesbian), the other daughter talks to her mom and sister about birth control, and even the wife/mother looks and dresses like a cheap whore. This is all what television is about anymore, and I've been saying it for years, but I'm going to keep saying it until something happens: this needs to stop. Enough is enough. Every show doesn't have to be about sex, but it's become the go-to thing for every show. And so many people out there have become so desensitized by it that their only response is, "just don't watch then." Yeah, that solves all our problems right there.

And y'know, I actually like Patrick Warburton - he's a funny guy - but, it's like all he does now when he's not doing voice work is crap. Same with David Alan Grier: I love that guy, but I'm sure THE CARMICHAEL SHOW is bad since all new shows are automatically bad now, so my being a fan of his hasn't been enough for me to even check into it.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
And here's what The Mysterious Mr. Enter has to say about The Goode Family. I do agree with a great deal of what he said about the show, namely about how it feels like a nearly complete antithesis to King of the Hill, except TGF rarely mocked far right ideologies in the same way KotH mocked far left ideologies. Also, the voice Mike Judge used for Gerald Goode is just the hippie teacher from Beavis & Butt-Head, not Hank Hill with a stuffy nose.

There was a Canadian show from many years back that I feel did this sort of thing a lot better, and that's called The Tofus. The big difference is that the kids often clash with their parents' decision to return to a more natural lifestyle, but are willing to stand up for them when others (namely, their alarm system salesman neighbor) try to keep them down, as opposed to them all being the same one-note personalities, like the Goodes. I believe it was shown on Jetix in the U.S. according to Wikipedia, but I'm not exactly sure.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with The Goode Family is the same problem I have rewatching the first season of American Dad. King of the Hill may have meant to be a parody of southern conservatives, but it really becomes more of a series about how Hank Hill is a button down guy who just doesn't get modern ideologies, and as he has a quirky set of neighbors and family members, he's the one that's relatable and sane and it went from Hank being incredibly, comedically button down to the reasonable, rational one that tries to maintain a level of sanity within his family and friends. To the point where it got really formulaic in the last season, and I think it ended before it became too repetitive.

Where as the Goode family is a stronger parody, one that's not quite as affectionate of suburban leftists to the point where they are the odd ones in the neighborhood. It's not exactly cartoonish, but far less subtle than KOTH was. But the thing that would have fixed it was time and more episodes. Early on, Hank was on the hilariously uptight side, but he evolved into a more human character very early on. There were signs of small character evolution for Gerald, and they did have that episode where they were banned from Whole Foods and had to shop at a Cost-Co expy. And if there's one thing I think they did hilariously well was that the lower class buy in bulk types... ehhh...a phenomenon I've noticed is how the cheaper the grocery store you go to, the less attractive people get, so that's a nice gag that's never been done.

The Goode Family isn't a bad show, just one that never got to reach its potential. I'd say another season or even a handful more of first season episodes, and it would have been good. Not KOTH level, obviously, but still a decent show.

Also, the voice Mike Judge used for Gerald Goode is just the hippie teacher from Beavis & Butt-Head, not Hank Hill with a stuffy nose.
And Hank Hill's voice is that of Mr. Anderson, also from B&B, to the point where they almost considered making Tom Anderson Hank's father... but then we wouldn't have had Hank's actual father, so that worked out for the best. And this also gets hilariously lampshaded in the book "That Boy Ain't Right," where under Hank's movie picks and pans, he mentions catching "Beavis and Butt-Head do America" on TV at a motel and saying something about how that Tom Anderson guy has a very annoying voice.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Did it bother anyone else that the dad on The Goode Family looked the exact same age as his kids? That's just a minor nitpick, but still.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Didn't Kim Possible's mom look just like her only with a slightly different hairstyle?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If CRISTELA was such a "groundbreaking" series, how come it only lasted one season?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently Matthew Perry's version of THE ODD COUPLE is successful enough for a third season. I'm . . . surprised. People thought it would flop - not because it's a remake, but because the subject of divorce isn't as tongue-in-cheek as it was back in the days of Tony Randall and Jack Klugman.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm shocked as the second season was basically dumped not only at mid-season, but just before the other shows were going on Summer Break. And they ran them 2 episodes a week, obviously well into getting rid of the episodes territory.

Now for the multiple complaints I can make about this show, the most cutting thing I can say is that it's exactly the humor and tone of one of the terrible, forgettable 90's sitcoms that was trying to be the next Friends, lacking the charm and overall reason to exist that Friends has. And I'm not a fan of that series, but respect it's place in pop culture history. This new Odd Couple could be called anything and be the same show. A bad throwback to how lousy 90's sitcoms that weren't the big named ones were. The jokes are unfunny, the laugh track makes them even less funny, the actors who are funny in other things aren't funny, the whole show feels generic and pointless.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't know what to feel about ABC's mid-season replacement Imaginary Mary, which is premiering tonight. On the one hand, we have another sitcom with an animated character, much like Son of Zorn, giving it a bit of edge. On the other, there's a lot of overlap with the film Drop Dead Fred (which was a rightful flop in its time, and was totally forgotten about until the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it), though Mary doesn't appear to be an obnoxious troublemaker, but rather someone who may screw things up for her friend, but has her heart in the right place. Plus, there's Jenna Elfman as the star, whose last real career was in Dharma and Greg, and she was just annoying in that show.

However, like with SoZ, I'm really intrigued by the behind-the-scenes stuff. They shoot two takes: a rehearsal with Elfman and a large puppet stand-in of Mary to react to (that I would love to see), and the final take with just Elfman talking to thin air for Mary to be added later. The CG animators use puppet Mary as a reference point.