The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I've been saying. You can take any kid's show and say it's full of Christian messages. Even Animaniacs did like 3 Bible stories.

However, if we're talking bad CGI in a TV show (since no *&^%in' way does Dorbees count as anything beyond TV series that never took off), I'd be at a loss not to mention the abysmal Transformers Energon.

Here's a clip:

Now, yeah. They've tried something that had not yet been done in a Transformers cartoon, blending 2-D with CGI. But in an attempt to make the CGI look more in line with the stiff animation, they made horrible, clumsy plastic toys that do less than the plastic toys they're based on.

Even the 1996 all CGI Transformers Beast Wars managed to look a crapload more impressive, and CGI animation didn't come as far back then.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The Groovains had bad cgi but, not as bad as Dorbees. The Groovains look like they had a budget of sorts.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The article also refers to an Ice Age Live show that I've never heard of, and those are based on popular movies. The Nut Job barely made back anything but was considered a success because its budget was cartoon TV show episode low. It's not a well known or well liked movie. Just one that was painfully lucky to be the less than a hit it was.

I hope this, and its sequel bomb.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
The article also refers to an Ice Age Live show that I've never heard of, and those are based on popular movies. The Nut Job barely made back anything but was considered a success because its budget was cartoon TV show episode low. It's not a well known or well liked movie. Just one that was painfully lucky to be the less than a hit it was.

I hope this, and its sequel bomb.
I agree with that last one.

I would say that the makers of the "franchise" are almost reaching Active Enterprises or Wolf Tracer levels of hopeless delusions, except The Nut Job actually did make back its money and is at least somewhat better made than Action 52 or Rapsittie Street Kids.

I heard that the studios behind it are making a different CGI film called Spark which is supposedly due next month. Needless to say, I can't expect too much from it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Nut Job was the highest family film opening for a January release. But that was a very low bar. KFP 3's modest, not very successful 43 Million opening easily toppled it.

Nut Job was lucky to be the only family movie released in January. I guess kids were sick of Frozen at the time.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
The Nut Job was the highest family film opening for a January release. But that was a very low bar. KFP 3's modest, not very successful 43 Million opening easily toppled it.

Nut Job was lucky to be the only family movie released in January. I guess kids were sick of Frozen at the time.
Well, I can't say I would blame any one who got sick of Frozen.

As for the studio's upcoming non-Nut Job film, its premise amounts to this (a paraphrase for the uninitiated):

"A teenage monkey and his two pals, a fox and a warthog, set out to take down an evil general and save the planet from him. Meanwhile, the monkey goes through the universe, discovering the secret of his true identity."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sounds like a not that bad idea for a TV cartoon, but a movie? Nah... sounds close to the already awful Space Chimps.

Well, I can't say I would blame any one who got sick of Frozen.
Luckily most families held out until February and poured money into The Lego Movie. At least you got to see Will Arnett and Liam Nieson in a good kids' movie. Too bad that everyone got family film fatigue in March, but I don't want to go into that rant again.

Still... how freaking bored with Christmas presents were kids to actually force their kids to see Nut Job? Still haven't bothered seeing it on Netflix.