Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Reevz1977

Reaction score
My opinion (for what it's worth)*, the movie was absolutely dire. It was an embarrassment to watch and to the franchise. I know, like everything in life, as many people will love it as loathe it, but for me I fall definitely in the latter. The humour was not clever...at all, the visuals were awful and it just came across as an unfunny spoof. The trailers were awful but the actual movie managed to be worse!! I also never thought I'd write this, but one of the most terrible aspects was Bill Murray, who is my hero!!

I don't have any problems with the gender-swap aspect, though admit that element was clearly a gimmick purely designed to be controversial, and I am a Paul Feig fan with only Bridesmaids being on my "meh" list. It was just an awful, awful, movie and definitely a movie that really did not need to be made. I would personally put Ghostbusters in the list, alongside Back to the future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jaws, ET... of movies that should not be remade. Ghostbusters II has, for years, been given a hugely rough ride by "critics", but the one thing "Ghostbusters 2016" has done, is make Ghostbusters II look like an absolute masterpiece!

I am sad what the terrible box-office returns and audience reception means for the future of the Ghostbusters brand. It has survived for over 30 years with a very successful merchandise range which the fanbase has lapped up and supported it, but I can't help but think this movie AND the horrible reaction Sony had to fans (not the "misogynists") who were angered by the remake, I think a lot of goodwill towards the franchise may well have withered.

Again, just my opinion, but Ghostbusters has been my favourite movie for over thirty years and I am quite passionate and disappointed by everything that has happened to it since the loss of Harold Ramis, which was tragically the catalyst for where it stands now.

To draw comparisons with this and my Muppet obsession - I currently feel about Ghostbusters like I did about the Muppets after Studio DC...*shudder*

*I expect the usual suspects on this forum to shoot me down for the audacity of having an opinion that differs to theirs, but so be it.

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Anyone want a ticket to Comic Con? I won't even charge for it. That's how little I care at this point. :wink:

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
the loss of Harold Ramis, which was tragically the catalyst for where it stands now.
His daughter has already said she doesn't like people using her father's memory to bash this movie. The death is what is tragic, not your feelings about a movie.

Like I said, if you want the Comic Con ticket, you can have it. I'm done with fandoms.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
His daughter has already said she doesn't like people using her father's memory to bash this movie. The death is what is tragic, not your feelings about a movie.

Like I said, if you want the Comic Con ticket, you can have it. I'm done with fandoms.
That's not what I was doing but thanks for misinterpreting my words. It's well documented that it was his passing that made Ivan Reitman step back from any continuation. It was also the moment control reverted back to Sony - up until that point, Bill, Dan, Ivan and Harold had full control over Ghostbusters. Bill Murray negated his rights by turning down the opportunity to star in a sequel twice. Once Harold passed on and Ivan stepped away, Sony had the full rights to the future of the franchise. If I remember rightly, Sony barely waited a week after his death to announce a continuation.

Harold's daughter Violet said she did not like people using her fathers name to support sexist or misogynist ideals. Completely different to what I wrote above!! But thanks for proving my point and jumping on my comment.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Harold's daughter Violet said she did not like people using her fathers name to support sexist or misogynist ideals.
Read the article again. She wasn't only referring to the sexism thing. She also mentioned people freaking out over reboots.

"As much as I wanted to stomp my foot and align myself with the opposition, there was no way I could stand behind the viciousness and ugliness that seemed to fuel these fundamentalists. From flat-out rejection of women as funny, to remarks about the actors’ looks, to the invocation of GB84 as ‘untouchable’ and disgust with ‘reboot culture’ generally, I was shocked by the anger and outrage. Are these people for real? I wondered. Sure, the timing sucks, but ****! I mourn my dad’s absence in this world as much, if not more, than anyone, but for people to say that he is “rolling in his grave” or would never have let a female-centered cast happen is INSANE. In his personal life, Harold Ramis was a kind, generous, and gracious person. Professionally, he was always about sharing the spotlight and making the other guy look good. Please, stop using my dad as an excuse to hate the new Ghostbusters. It degrades his memory to spew bile in his name." http://splitsider.com/2016/07/on-my...ostbusters-torch-to-a-new-generation-of-fans/

Reevz1977

Reaction score
"...but for people to say that he is “rolling in his grave” or would never have let a female-centered cast happen is INSANE"

I said:
"I am quite passionate and disappointed by everything that has happened to it since the loss of Harold Ramis, which was tragically the catalyst for where it stands now."

I'm not sure how you are judging my comments against what his daughter said??!! I judged it as a film on it's own merits and a film that was a reboot of a movie that I loved and thought it was terrible - am I not allowed to hold that opinion?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I said:
"I am quite passionate and disappointed by everything that has happened to it since the loss of Harold Ramis, which was tragically the catalyst for where it stands now."
You said:

"I would personally put Ghostbusters in the list, alongside Back to the future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jaws, ET... of movies that should not be remade." That is the anti reboot culture she was talking about. And you bemoaning "where it stands now" wasn't about the sexism thing either. You were using his death to complain about the state of franchise, which she clearly wasn't thrilled with fans doing.

And chill, I have never been one here to say someone "isn't allowed" to hold an opinion. I pointed out that one part of your comment is disrespectful. You are free to disagree. But no one is telling you not to speak.

Anyway, like I said, I'm done with fandoms. I can't remember the last time they were fun (and no, that doesn't mean I want everyone to have the same opinion).

Reevz1977

Reaction score
What part of "I would personally put Ghostbusters in the list, alongside Back to the future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jaws, ET... of movies that should not be remade" is disrespectful?????????? What I would personally consider is disrespectful???!!!! Are you insane?? That is fundamentally the definition of what forms an opinion!!! Did I tell anyone to agree??? Did I say anyone else was wrong???!!!!!

I also don't think the Muppets should be CGI if that was ever considered, is that disrespectful too?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What part of "I would personally put Ghostbusters in the list, alongside Back to the future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jaws, ET... of movies that should not be remade" is disrespectful?????????? What I would personally consider is disrespectful???!!!! Are you insane?? That is fundamentally the definition of what forms an opinion!!! Did I tell anyone to agree??? Did I say anyone else was wrong???!!!!!
Please read the article again. And do not ever speak to me again. I'm done. With all of it.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Please read the article again. And do not ever speak to me again. I'm done. With all of it.
Let's not fall out, it really isn't worth it. I just thought I would weigh in & share my thoughts on a topic I am passionate about on a forum that I am part of, but didn't expect to be called disrespectful for expressing it. Like anything anyone loves in life, people have their own beliefs as to what they would like to see happen with it. Do these feelings make a jot of difference? No, not at all, but everyone has them and is entitled to them...otherwise this forum and every forum would be pointless.

Friends?