Mixels Thread

C to the J

Reaction score
Well, the site's been updated (sort of) to include series 8. There's something screwy about it, though - Splasho's section on the Products page has Kuffs' animation, the series 8 Mixels are not present when you 'add your mix' to the Gallery, and the instructions for the series 8 Maxes have yet to appear in the Downloads section. However, you can access the series 8 Max instructions by clicking on the Build tab and selecting any one Mixel in that series. Now let's say you want to build the Pyrratz Max. You would go to Build and select either Sharx, Skulzy, or Lewt. There, you can open up a PDF of the instructions. And I think you'll be in for a treat when you build the MCFD Max.

C to the J

Reaction score
Oddly, there was no appearance of Mixels in this year's Comic-Con. Guess we never will know if there will be a Series 10.

Back to the subject of the TV show, the next special, 'Nixel, Nixel, Go Away,' will be airing this Fall. Apparently, the title was found within other random titles of Cartoon Network programs via Turner Classic Movies' site.

And after looking at some of the concept art (there's a book belonging to the Nindjas), I just might know what to expect. At this point, what I am expecting is Cartoon Network will focus on fewer characters and perhaps add something new to their personalities (they did have Camillot act like a wembler in the previous special :coy:).

I'd hate to complain, but why do they even bother? What's the point of having a TV show if they're not going to justify the roles of every Mixel with a LEGO set? For a crew focused on releasing two specials a year, you'd think they'd have enough time to make everything run smoothly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be a little bummed if there's no series 10+, but on the same level, I'm kinda okay with it ending with 9 series. If you got every single one, that's 81 little Lego sets. Sure, I only have a couple from series one and two cuz I really didn't get into them until series 4, and I have to track down two Spikels from series 3. I can't collect these forever. I'd love to see these keep going for the sake of other fans, sure, but I'd have to find a natural stopping point.

AS for the cartoon, yeah. I don't see why it can't be a recurring series of short specials or even an 11 minute cartoon. I really liked how "Every Knight has its Day" focused specifically on one tribe, and even then, one character in the tribe. If it was a more regularly produced series, I'd love to see every tribe get that treatment. I can see why they'd cheap out and just do 2 specials a year, but I really dislike that they have to. More cartoon episodes would have helped those sales.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So without major confirmation, it looks like these will end with series 9.

I'm a little broken up about it. A little. I wish they could at least make a series 10 or rerelease some older sets that are now impossible to find. I really agree they botched the cartoon series and didn't give any decent alternative media.

Other than that it kinda stings, but I wasn't really on board with collecting many more of them due to space limitations. I don't have the heart to break them back up and toss them in a big bucket with the manuals (that would be a freaking mess to put them back together), and it was a fun thing while it lasted. I'd figure this at least cuts down on my visits to the Lego store until I have the money to get something much bigger and more expensive.

C to the J

Reaction score
I had a feeling you'd be catching on. I found out about the news just yesterday. I do have just enough room for Series 9 on my Mixels-only shelves, and I suppose LEGO's decision to end the franchise is understandable.

I also found that production on the final special has been wrapped up last month. Hopefully, Cartoon Network didn't go all willy-nilly on this one. There are backgrounds from the concept art that have yet to appear. And they do have just 18 more Mixels to show on TV. Considering the direction they've been taking, I'm thinking at least one won't even get a chance to shine, let alone a chance to speak.

IMHO, if the Maxes make an appearance, they should dispense with the rocket thrusts on their feet and leave it to the Orbitons Max and 2015 Infernites Max. This ability is fine with Mixes that have Infernites in them, though. It's weird the other winged Maxes never used their wings to stay afloat. I even find it odd that they made the 2015 Glorp Corp Max the only Max to speak in AQFtLM, and in Krog's voice, which would have been used if the 2015 Frosticons Max was included.

With 'Nixel, Nixel, Go Away' being the final episode, I can only hope they didn't louse up the visuals, character/voice match, camera movement, or consistency. Even the intro should be one that will make up for the rushed performance of the EKHiD title sequence. Maybe have it more like a cross between the intros to MMM and AQFtLM.

And we still haven't verified that Fred Tatasciore performed Kraw. Are users really that afraid to ask the crew and voice actors involved in the show about these things?

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I still think they should find a way to continue the franchise as toy only, pfft...whatever. At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of pre-existing blocks (with the exception of the rounded tooth piece) bunched together that someone else designed. It's not like they had to spend money on licensing or specialty pieces. Doesn't sound like they'd lose that much money on them. Yeah, if a series 10 were to happen, I'd consider buying them if the tribes were good enough. At least this year's product line was exceptional. They got far more creative with character designs, and far more inventive with the career based characters rather than elemental ones. The only shame is that Mixopolis could have been its own thing and there's endless possibilities that they just didn't bother with. Hopefully another cheap piece to price ratio/minifig free character building theme based project will come out of them in time. Hopefully without the almost useless help of a network.

C to the J

Reaction score
I guess what was said in the documentary was a bit of an overstatement. In the upcoming special, we could see something better or something on the same level of mediocrity. Either way, it'll be something entirely new when late September comes.

Also, I might expect a cameo appearance of some of the Mixels in the next LEGO Movie.

C to the J

Reaction score
It would appear that Nixel, Nixel, Go Away will air on the same day on which Series 9 officially comes out. I came across this sneak peak clip (Coordinated Group Dancing), and it would seem that background Mixels, including Booger, will once again get a chance to shine. I suppose the Nindjas will play a big role in the special, but there's no telling if they'll make up for relegating other Mixels to minor appearances. Great to see Krog and Vaka-Waka, though. And yes, there are bound to be a few errors in the special (keep your eyes open for one when Booger grows in size).

If I were part of the crew working on the cartoon series, I would have given suggestions for 2-3 minute story ideas. Then again, a lot of people with unique ideas could lead to a greater difference in opinion, which is why we only got fewer half-hour stories. After the special, I'll have to look for solid, clever, well written fan fiction to satisfy my imagination.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it appears unceremoniously dumped next Weekend at 5:30, provided CN doesn't dump another crap movie in the timeslot. Kinda can see why there's a lack of interest in the product on their behalf.

Seeing as the screenshot in the wikipedia page for it, it looks like it'll deal more with the toyless characters from last time, which kinda feels disappointing already. Personally, I think the toy line at least ends with a bang with some pretty interesting tribes. But the cartoon looks like its going to fizzle out and just be forgotten. As in there's no toys to support the cartoon, there's no cartoon to support the toys, let's end it here. I honestly don't care if it's a fitting end or just a "aw who cares, let's throw a bad movie in their time slot" deal. They really could have kept the thing going with outside media. Seems the lack of care and attention to that sort of thing is why this thing never fully took off.

That said, I saw the last series pop up in the Lego Discovery center gift shop yesterday. Kids seemed to be interested in them. It's really bittersweet that it's over. Really wish they'd at least do a cartoon-less series 10 just to even out the number to 90. 81's a pretty strange number of characters to end on. I honestly can't get mad at Lego, though. I like Lego far too much to pick on them for moving on to something else. And as far as CN, I'm more annoyed at their airing practices than I could be at them not giving a crap last 2 episodes.

C to the J

Reaction score
I was able to check out Nixel, Nixel, Go Away the other day, and how can I put this... the premise is engaging, with Mixels (95% of which have no LEGO sets) being tricked into trading normal Cubits for i-Cubits so King Nixel can rid Mixopolis of color and make the city his own (Nixopolis). Booger (with one remaining Cubit) and his three friends (whose names have nothing to do with the tribes to which they belong) are the ones moving the story along, and the Newzers (plus one who acts as a cue screen) have a pretty decent subplot in which they pick up news about the Nixels' plans.

That part where zombified Mixels are restored does remind me of Captain EO in some way.

King Nixel (in his puny form) abandons his larger color-infected body and takes off in a tiny rocket, only to be disintegrated by a bug zapper mix made of Slusho and Tungster.

What's more, we got more voices:
GREGG BISSONETTE: Camsta, Myke
STEVE BLUM: Aquad, Kuffs (second voice), Spinza
LEONARD GARNER: Cobrax
JESS HARNELL: Zabo (Muncho), Hydro, Surgeo
RICHARD HORVITZ: Scrud (Frosticon), Splasho
PETER JASON: Fire Chief, Sharx, Tuth
TOM KENNY: Blip (Spikel), Mysto, Screeno

Now that I think about it, Booger does sound like Tom Kenny's take on Woody Allen, albeit younger. No known voice for Skulzy, though. And the Trashoz have no lines at all - (Compax and Sweepz's appearance was the shortest of all).

While the MCFD, Nindjas, and Newzers, to get a good amount of screen time, this episode seemed to neglect so much more (like Tapsy, Lewt only appeared in the intro), just like Every Knight Has its Day. And the 'Mix' effect artists were so lazy that they just take the word 'Mix' from the Mixels logo and have it appear for a split second. Just sayin'.

Cartoon Network sure had some way to salt the wound, but the story itself delivered quite well. Now to figure out how to convince Miranda Dressler to show off her art of all the Maxes from Series 7-9.