The Muppets on Netflix? Hulu? Amazon?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's obvious that a certain percentage of casual Muppet fans just want The Muppet Show, but even if we got that exactly, it'd be all like "Ew! I don't like such and such celebrity! Why can't they work with such and such who's either incredibly old or probably dead that I like much better?"
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think audiences tend to forget that celebrities age, lol. They get used to seeing them the same way over and over on DVD.

I actually have no problem with newer celebrities playing with the Muppets, except they aren't always given the proper direction. They're supposed to be sort of wry straight men for the Muppets to play off of. Gervais did that pretty well in MMW, but like Tina Fey and some of the others, it was all about them being funny instead of the Muppets.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I think Disney right now is realizing the characters' greatest strengths in modern pop culture:

1) Nostalgia
2) interactivity

Sure the show did poorly but no other show can gain so much mileage off of its own characters reacting to it. It's hysterically fitting that the TV show in which the Muppets are making callous show biz decisions without blinking an eye got cancelled lead to a viral video in which one of those characters reacts to a callous show biz decision made against them. Then he proceeds to appear on a show where the joke is pretty much him reacting to heavy adult humor in an innocent fashion. And people ate it up, because the juxtaposition was funnier than melding the two.

Instead of trendy sitcoms, Disney is going for a more interactive experience in addition to some nostalgia-laden aspects. The Magic Kingdom show will be nice, zany and anything but "hip and trendy", and will feature a Muppetized version of traditionally maudlin history. The "new land" will still consist of the 70s/80s era aspects with the store and film, but will also capture a callback to the successful 2011 film and a restaurant which I believe mostly leans on Muppets Take Manhattan.

I don't expect much filmed, scripted material to debut anytime soon.