The line between puppetry and ventriloquism

Alvin

Reaction score
That was pretty good! Loved it. Not bad without a stage...I could do that :smile: lol

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
For me they are very close. If I'm in view of the audience, I use ventriloquism. If I'm not I just use my puppeteering skills. Although I've been told I still don't tend to move my lips.
I do feel if you are hidden, it allows you to move the puppet's body more though.

Walter

Reaction score
I think there is a clear difference between the two, however like many of you have said, Peple in general see no difference. Whenever it is brought up that I build puppets, people say most of the time "Like jeff Dunham." I also say "Like The Muppets". often times when I have a puppet with me and I'm holding him, I don't speak..I just make him jester or give sarcastic movements. For example, with Walter I make him smile or nod(although I may talk as him from time to time...I am NO good at ventriloquism..so it's very difficult to keep the kids(or adults!) focused on the puppet..adults are harder...because while kids look at the puppet as a living creature, adults will immediatly look at me... Uncle deadly is a little easier.. because I can't do his voice. his prescence alone is scary enough!(seriously, my little cousing are crazy scared of him!)

DannyRWW

Reaction score
You know I don't know anything about Ventriloquism, but I've often found myself with a puppet out in the open. Usually i just make the puppet talk, move, etc; and the people ignore me and pay attention to the puppet. The funniest example of this was I was on the news once with my puppet and they kept putting the microphone up to the puppet and I kept trying to explain that my voice wasn't coming from the puppet....not sure how that works with a ventriloquist with the whole voice throwing thing though. I mean in the end they are both forms of puppetry, but I'd rather be behind a stage or on camera than in front of the audience holding the puppet. Though is suppose Avenue q and the Jim Henson Improv group did that ok (don't they show the puppets on a screen though for the improv)