The breakfast cereal thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't even know there was an orange cream Capn Crunch. :embarrassed:
Mentioned it a couple pages back. Had a surprising list of character returns on the back of the box...

Unfortunately, the only picture of the back of the box I could find was this:

Even Simon the Quangaroo. I mean, it's the wrong version of Quake (the Dudley Do-Right looking guy with a mining helmet), but I'm not complaining.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Saw Frankenberry at Walmart today (and strangely enough, not the other two), so I got my first four boxes today, and I see this year they're mocking the election season by having you go online, vote for your favorite, and try to win $5,000 or other prizes.

I noticed on the back of the box, they stealthfully slipped in the Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy mascots in the crowd, but I don't know if that's an indication that they'll actually have those two cereals out this year, considering you can only vote for the main three.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Meh, whichever of them can get Fruit Brute's endorsement will manage to swing the entire state of Florida in their flavor. :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I noticed on the back of the box, they stealthfully slipped in the Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy mascots in the crowd, but I don't know if that's an indication that they'll actually have those two cereals out this year, considering you can only vote for the main three.

Nah. They're just there for Mythology Gag purposes like Wilma the White Whale and Simon on the Cap'n Crunch box. I think that was a one time deal. Which kinda sucks since I really liked the orange cream flavor of Yummy Mummy. I liked the Cap'n Orange Cream cereal, but it tasted more like those orange cupcakes Hostess puts out mixed with standard Cap'n cereal.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, they even have an official election map and everything, and presently, Count Chocula is dominating the polls . . . meanwhile, Boo Berry is leading in only a handful of states, and apparently Frankenberry is leading only in Montana.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find Chocula my favorite of the bunch, but I do get at least one Frankenberry a year. I tend to try and horde Chocula and save some boxes for the spring or something, but Frankenberry's more of a once a year and I'm good. Boo Berry, however, I want to like but just think the main problem with the way the cereals are formulated currently the flavors are a little too subtle. If they just fiddled with the formula and gave the tastes a slightly stronger feel, like they've done with Cocoa Puffs, which are the best they've been in a while, they'd be bigger draws. Frankenberry and Chocula taste exactly what they should taste like, but Booberry seems to be so subtle, it's like it's only slightly sweetened if anything.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can agree with you there on Boo Berry, it's flavor really isn't that impressive - but at the same time, as I've also said before, I find Chocula to be just too overwhelmingly chocolatey. I like chocolate, but not when the flavor is so strong and powerful that you can't eat the stuff . . . just like I like cheese, but sometimes something can be too cheesy, such as these cracker samples I tried yesterday: didn't taste much when I first put it in my mouth, but then just before swallowing, this overwhelming cheese flavor punched you in the back of the mouth. Not pleasant. Frankenberry, as I said, I find taste like what Berry Berry Kix used to taste like (just with marshmallows added), and BB Kix was one of my very favorite cereals as a kid, though it was always so hard to find. Like I said, when I tried Fruit Brute, I found it tasted like a less flavorful version of Frankenberry - subtle, slightly sweetened.

I still think they should bring out a vanilla monster cereal with an yeti mascot, and a cinnamon flavored cereal with a zombie mascot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fruite Brute was supposedly Cherry Lime flavor. It almost tasted like that, but more like a tart cherry with undertones of citrus bitterness. If I'm to believe what the testimonies of those old enough to have eaten the original version, the cereal pieces were cherry and the marshmallows were supposed to be lime when it first came out.

It's clear that the seasonal only release prevents them from adding new (or even rereleasing old) flavors to the line up. Especially since Chocula tends to sell out by the end of the season, but Frankenberry and Boo Berry are all over the place when they're cleared out until all the Halloween stuff is gone. I'd be surprised if they added a new Monster Cereal, but I'd bet you they'd make a Pumpkin Spice flavor, considering.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they added a new Monster Cereal, but I'd bet you they'd make a Pumpkin Spice flavor, considering.
I didn't even think of that, but you're right, everything is pumpkin spice flavored this time of year. Heck, there's only one flavor of egg nog already out in the stores, and it's pumpkin, lol.

I'd even guess perhaps apple cinnamon or something like that, considering apples play a big part in the season as well: candied apples, caramel apples, apple pie, what have you.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, waddayou know?

Apparently Pebbles isn't the only cereal that the Flintstones shill. In the UK, they were briefly the spokescavemen for Nabisco Team:

Here's one where they didn't bother to get the original voices:

Note Wilma's line about "He never got this excited from Flint Flakes." Seems like a small nod to their American breakfast cereal.