The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I was saying in the Box Office thread, what the heck was the point of releasing "The Wild Life" to theaters in the US? Sure, it made its probably low budget back in its native Europe, but the film is barely DTV at best. They didn't even bother getting celebrity voice actors, or even name voice actors that are part of a union. Even the awful Russian and Chinese mockbusters of Planes had celebrity voice actors. How was this supposed to grab anyone into theaters? The bad animation?

Luke kun

Reaction score
Let's just say that THANK. GOD. Steven Blum has never had a role in these crappy CGI movies. I mean, they're trying to put him in all these roles that don't fit his voices. Crocodiles aren't supposed to be sexy. Leopards aren't supposed to be sexy. Robots can be sexy, and Steven Blum's performance as TOM proves it.

November 6? Isn't that supposed to be a Saturday? Does this mean Trolls will be released on the 5th? Are you out of your mind, Drtooth? :confused:

Long John Silver in MTI?

He was also Nigel Thornberry, the hotel manager in HOME ALONE 2, a secondary villain in the CHARLIE'S ANGELS movie, narrated A SESAME STREET CHRISTMAS CAROL, and other things.
And S.I.R. the robot from Disney's Alien Encounter attraction. AKA the predecessor to TOM as both are sexxxxxy robots. :stick_out_tongue: Although the attraction closed in 2003, when TOM got real sexy.

Comic Sans font slapped on it (something I hate no matter what fanbase)
Even Undertale, which has a character named Sans whose dialogue is displayed in that font?

The second movie wasn't as successful as the first, but it did well enough to bring the Chipettes back into the spotlight since they've been a major part of the fracnhise since the 80s, but it got mostly mixed reviews.
I actually thought the Chipettes were introduced in that film when I saw it. I was 6 or 7, guys! :embarrassed:
I'm glad Rainmaker's coming back with a new ReBoot sequel series. There was a serious lack of closure from the original that I hope this new series will resolve.
I only know of ReBoot because of Megabyte, aka "MAH FOURMAT: VAIRUHS". :laugh: He's voiced by the same guy who played Frollo. And since that guy died, who will play Megabyte in the sequel series?
BTW, this CGI computer virus is better because it's sexier...

mimitchi33

Reaction score
As I was saying in the Box Office thread, what the heck was the point of releasing "The Wild Life" to theaters in the US? Sure, it made its probably low budget back in its native Europe, but the film is barely DTV at best. They didn't even bother getting celebrity voice actors, or even name voice actors that are part of a union. Even the awful Russian and Chinese mockbusters of Planes had celebrity voice actors. How was this supposed to grab anyone into theaters? The bad animation?
It was successful. It's been beating every other kids' film recently, until Storks came along.
The Swan Princess is out with its 6th movie, and apparently Odette and Derek adopted a daughter in the 5th installment who now stars in this movie. And why bother calling it a Swan Princess movie by this point? I can't imagine fans of the 1st movie being all too happy about this as Odette isn't a main character here, and kids unfamiliar with the original wouldn't care either way.

Just retire already, Richard Rich. :grouchy:

Odette's so-called "daughter" reminds me of another popular princess. I wonder if it was intentional...

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was successful. It's been beating every other kids' film recently, until Storks came along.
It was already successful overseas. Any US release it had was just icing on the cake money, and the only reason it beat other kid's films was that they've mostly been out a couple months. Really feels like a direct to DVD RedBox film along the lines of Russian and Chinese films dubbed to resemble Planes knockoffs.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
I've been hearing some negative response to the news that Disney is doing a remake of The Lion King.

Me, I've been hearing about the positive reception to Disney's remakes since last year, so I'm not too certain that it'll go over badly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The same director behind the amazing looking Jungle Book remake is at the helm. Disney's been doing mostly well with these to the point where, despite the low box office turn out, even Pete's Dragon got some good reviews. I don't even really count the Alice in Wonderland remake sequel. But I don't think anyone thought Jungle Book would be successful let alone such a huge box office draw that it was. Compare that with the ugly, crappy look of this year's CGI effect heavy Tarzan film, Jungle Book looked great and far more realistic. No wonder they greenlit a Lion King movie so fast.

Though, there's no way to really make a Lion King live action film the same way they had with Jungle Book as no humans are in the film. Sure, Jungle Book had other villagers aside from Mowgli, but I don't get why they'd assume and even label a movie that has no human characters to use in live action when it's most likely just the same CGI style used in Jungle Book, and no live actors on set.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Dom DeLuise was in a lot of Don Bluth movies, but that was really the only time he voiced the lead character - most of the time, he was the hero's sidekick (much like how Charles Nelson Reilly was often the villain's henchman or lackey).
Then again the only notable villain Reilly has ever voiced is a talking mud bubble so yeah

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyone else besides me think one of the Trolls looks awfully familiar?

This almost feels like the whole Jeanette/Irma duplication meme.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Anyone else besides me think one of the Trolls looks awfully familiar?

This almost feels like the whole Jeanette/Irma duplication meme.
Actually when I saw Secret Life of Pets, my friend said that troll look like the pink fairy Muppet from Sesame Street, he's not a Muppet fan.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's painfully obvious THIS should have been the Troll based movie Dreamworks should have released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=116&v=J2oNgZlbSKI

Yes, I'm glad it's an animated series and it managed to live on as one instead of going to the Dreamworks graveyard with B.O.O. and Me and my Shadow. I get the sense that DW thought "Great...another Rise of the Guardians" and dumped it, while Del Toro lobbied for it to be released somehow for a decade. But Dreamworks has that Trolls license that it had to use or they would have wasted money on the license. I'd say the one tiny thing I can say in Trolls' favor is that it's probably what the Smurf movies would have been like if The Chipmunks didn't come out and Sony felt the need to copy that example.

Which now doesn't look good for the reboot Smurf movie that's incredibly similar.