Halloween is just around the corner

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... What happened to Halloween is Grinch's Night, Raggedy Ann & Andy and The Pumpkin that Wouldn't Smile, Witch's Night Out, The Halloween That Almost Wasn't? These are all spooky sentimental favorites from my childhood that never air anymore.

Harleena

Reaction score
Listen. I get the point that little kids need safe costumes, and therefore we were bound to see the hat mask thing that . But if you're over 5, maybe 6 years old, there's no reason for that. I mean, I hate the heck out of mass market costumes and all their suckitude from sexulaized cartoon characters that shouldn't be sexualized (if anyone remembers the movie Mean Girls, Halloween is an excuse for hot women who wouldn't normally dress like hussies to do so) to just...ugly, saggy, baggy, cheap looking 50 dollar sets that look like they were made for a buck fifty. Just... Masks are one thing. Large rubber masks of characters I get and I like. But the suits they have are less convincing than the old costume kits that have characters wearing their faces on their clothes ("Just like Bubs all the time wears! Picture of his self on his self."). Adult costumes shouldn't look like what a 5 year old wears for safety reasons. Especially for the price.
I agree. Like why do costumes have to look like this?

Like if you want to dress sexxy, then maybe don't dress as a Sesame Street character?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Halloween is Grinch Night was released on DVD several years ago under the alternate title "It's Grinch Night." Kinda wish I bought those Dr. Seuss DVD's when I had the chance. I really should have replaced my VHS copy of Pontoffle Pock back then. Grinch Night may be on Youtube, but those things have a tendency to be taken down.

I'm mixed about watching Fat Albert's Halloween special because...well... And I wish I could watch my VHS tape of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show episode where Peppermint Patty and Charlie Brown go to the bowling alley Halloween Night and Chuck's stray bowling ball (he was facing the wrong way) knocks over Marcie and Linus waiting at the Pumpkin Patch, mistaking it for The Great Pumpkin. A lost classic that doesn't get much attention because it was only animated in that forgotten TV show. And you just know no one reads the strips. Otherwise, there's that great aftermath of Marcie's parents taking her to get "deprogrammed" of Linus's influence.

As for "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," it's a shame that there isn't much of a 50th anniversary push, other than McDonalds having trick or treat buckets at the end of the month. Seeing it's not the Christmas one and all. And yeah, it's a defining classic, if kind of overrated as far as Peanuts specials go. But it's such a shame that Great Pumpkin lives constantly in the shadow of the Christmas special. Of course, I suppose that it's equally unfair that the Thanksgiving special lives in the shadow of both.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If we're going to complain about Halloween safety, need I once again point out the same thing I've been bringing up in this thread year after year about the newscasts the day before Halloween, with the dreaded stories about, "Are predators living in your neighborhood?"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh man...you guys need to watch this, lol. This is safety gone horribly silly, lol.
Think I watched it a while ago under Muppetdude's YT account. Can't remember if he made it a commentary or a YTP or something...

Still, I have no problem with little kids having safe costumes, but hate that they do that with adult costumes. It's cute on a 3-6 year old, but it's pathetic looking on an grown man. I don't see why they make those like that.

Oh...wait...I get it. They're cheaper that way. Don't give anyone a decent mask with a costume. If you want a good mask, you have to shell out another 30+ bucks for a good mask. I'm not going to say that they don't make good grown person costumes anymore, but when did they ever before the (at the very earliest) 90's?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not to mention that both Arthur and Berenstain Bears willfully stole from that special. The whole "she's not really a witch, she's a lonely old woman who somehow has the best treats on the block" bit. Arthur's Halloween was a blatant knockoff, as were the Bears. The Bears had theirs animated in the 2003 Nelvana series. At least when Arthur had a Halloween episode animated, they went for a new story.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not to mention that both Arthur and Berenstain Bears willfully stole from that special. The whole "she's not really a witch, she's a lonely old woman who somehow has the best treats on the block" bit. Arthur's Halloween was a blatant knockoff, as were the Bears. The Bears had theirs animated in the 2003 Nelvana series. At least when Arthur had a Halloween episode animated, they went for a new story.
True, lol. Now, Witch's Night Out, that was much more original and edgy, both in plot and animation. I was actually worried about what would happen to Small and Tender, lol. And Gilda Radner, great job of course as the witch. And you know I just found out recently that Small and Tender and Bazooey (a name you'd only hear in a 70s special, lol) came from an earlier Christmas special, The Gift of Winter.

Last edited: