Star Wars Rogue One in theaters December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Star Wars Rogue One Teaser Trailer!!!!!!!!

I think It looks fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So apparently Rogue One is undergoing four weeks of reshooting because Disney wasn't happy with it.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
from Making Star Wars they are really reliable!

June 2, 2016June 2, 2016
How extensive will the Rogue One reshoots be?
by Jason Ward (editor-in-chief)

Since the weekend, there was a lot of dust kicked up on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. By late Sunday night, the news began to hit the gossip sites and the trades alike. I reached out to several sources to find out exactly what was going on with Rogue One. When I asked a few crew members what was being reshot they laughed and said “everything.” Of course they were kidding but from the sound of it, the shooting will be extensive.

Here are the common themes in what people behind the scenes are saying:

• Some crew initially heard J.J. Abrams was supervising the reshoots.
  • Gareth Edwards is doing the reshoots himself but with a partner, Christopher McQuarrie.
  • Christopher McQuarrie, the final writer on Rogue One will be working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.
  • Christopher McQuarrie’s draft of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was considered superior to the film they shot previously.
  • It was not Edwards’ fault as McQuarrie’s draft wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.
  • 32 sets have been recreated for the reshoot.
  • The crew expects they are reshooting 40% of the film.
  • They are working 6 days a week for 8 weeks.
So that’s the word on the reshoots going down. The vibe doesn’t seem bad. It seems like they’re making the movie right. When the movie began filming there was a lot of talk that the budget had been greatly reduced slightly before shooting meaning more CGI would be needed. Now it looks like the movie is going to cost what it was supposed to cost from the start. The quality of the film wasn’t bad, it just needs to be better and all involved are happy to make that happen.

It is important to remember that this movie doesn’t come out until December. If it were September and people were saying the movie was awful we would be screwed and stuck with a bad film. That’s not the case here. The reshoots were always part of the plan but they’re way more shots to be redone than they initially thought.

I’m not that crazy about execs saying what works for films. They tend to turn out the same crap over and over again. It doesn’t sound like the situation is exactly like that here. It sounds like its a pretty good situation where everyone wants to make the film better than it was. As a Star Wars fan, I’m pretty happy they care enough to make sure it is right.

May 31, 2016May 31, 2016
Reshoots will not affect Rogue One: A Star Wars Story release date?
by Jason Ward (editor-in-chief)

Deadline has run a piece attempting to clarify a little of the news story going around since late last night about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story being in trouble. Since before this broke we had heard that reshoots would be happening in June and July. There were rumblings of weird things going on and books and merchandise being pushed back to the DVD release because of revisions happening to the script itself.

Deadline:

To clarify, there were no test screenings and rather a re-shoot decision was made after Disney suits and producers watched the initial cut of the highly anticipated first spinoff.

According to sources, the first cut was lacking the edge that Force Awakens had, and the story needs to jell. The film’s December 16 release date will not be affected, according to one insider — and with Comic-Con fast approaching, hopefully the studio might be able to tease fans with at least a little something.

They also say there was no test screening (which we found odd too) just like Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I really don’t think this is anything for fans to worry about. The concept is solid and honestly the concept would probably work in the lighter genres or the harsher ones. It’s a good pitch and I think they’re just trying to find that perfect balance between edge and what we know Star Wars to be.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Up Next
Star Wars: Chris McQuarrie Denies Rogue One Reshoot Involvement

72shares

As you may have heard, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is thought to be in a bit of trouble. Reports earlier this week stated that Disney higher-ups are unhappy with the current condition of the upcoming Star Wars prequel film, and have ordered reshoots. Reports have conflicted over whether the reshoots were planned in advance, whether they’re about the film’s tone or more overall dissatisfaction from studio executives, and whether the new footage will include the young Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) – Disney, for their part, issued a statement that these reshoots were always expected.

The reshoot rumors have led to speculation that new footage will require additional writing. While the most recent report indicated that noted screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie will be on set with director Gareth Edwards for the reshoots, the writer is disputing that on social media.

McQuarrie, the Oscar-winning writer of The Usual Suspects who also directed Jack Reacher and Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, took to Twitter to respond to the rumors:

According to a report at Making Star Wars which cited several sources, McQuarrie had written a new draft of the script during initial shooting, and while Disney was happy with the writer’s work, McQuarrie’s draft “wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.” Therefore, McQuarrie would be “working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.” It would appear that McQuarrie is not disputing that he did writing work on the film previously – it was reported as far back as October 2015 that he was involved in the script – but rather the new report that he’ll be on set for the reshoots.

Christopher McQuarrie on the set of Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation

Should Star Wars fans be worried about the project, between the reshoots and the questions about the script? The story of the film’s writing has been tumultuous – Gary Whitta was announced as the screenwriter at the project’s outset in 2014, but left the film early the following year; Chris Weitz came in at that point, and McQuarrie was reported to have taken his own pass at the script. The final credit will likely be a matter of some interest, if not dispute.

Then again, Star Wars: The Force Awakens also lost its original screenwriter, Michael Arndt, early on, and additionally engaged in both reshoots and scheduling complications following Harrison Ford’s injury; none of that stopped the franchise revival from breaking multiple box office records or becoming one of the most beloved Star Wars film in decades. As for what’s really happening on set and at what level Christopher McQuarrie is involved, we’ll likely get some definitive answers when Edwards appears at the Star Wars Celebration next month.

Next: Why Rogue One May Be the Prequel Star Wars Fans Always Wanted
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
opens in U.S. theaters on December 16, 2016, followed by Star Wars: Episode VIII on December 15, 2017, the Han Solo Star Wars Anthology film on May 25, 2018, Star Wars: Episode IX in 2019, and the third Star Wars Anthology film in 2020.

Source: Christopher McQuarrie, Making Star Wars

ChristopherMcQuarrie ‏@chrismcquarrie 4h4 hours ago

Attn: bloggers. I'm reading some horse^^^^ rumors tonight. You know where to find me. Do your jobs.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the official trailer which premiered last night during the Olympics...

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score

I love this trailer, the visuals are beautifully stunning and it almost has a feel of Star Wars Rebels which I love! The new Droid is really cool and the last shot of Vader is great! I wonder if the trailer music is Alexandre Desplat? It sounds great, really star warsy but different in some way!

mimitchi33

Reaction score

I saw this during Life, Animated and I want to see this now. I haven't seen Star Wars before, but it looks cool.
Also, the new robot reminds me of some character in a Ghibli Movie. I think it was one from Castle in the Sky?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the second trailer which debuted this morning during Good Morning America...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh is that Diego Luna? Cool, I was actually wondering what he was up to, lol.

The trailer gives off a "generic action movie" impression, but as I've been telling people for the past few months, you can't judge a movie just by its trailer. :wink: The "Thanks!" line was pretty funny though. And thankfully it wasn't that 4th wall Marvel humor they stuck in Force Awakens.

VentSenpai

Reaction score
I'm a fan of star wars and i'm really excited for this one because of high budget, at least graphics will be great :stick_out_tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.