Sesame Street Special "Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another mythology gag I forgot to point out, but did anyone else notice Mr. Hat from EW had his own magazine?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Forgetful and Buster were on the newspaper the 2-Headed Monster was fighting over, too.

One thing I was gonna say: I really wish that "Holiday Lights" song was longer. Your big opening number and it's over in a minute?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wasn't paying that much attention, but I noticed during parts of the story that took place in the vacant lot where Big Bird's nest usually is, there were signs hanging by those two doors in the brick side wall indicating that a barber shop and a dentist's office were there: are those subtle new changes to the set, or was that just for the story?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I've finally found it online so now I can comment on this.

This special was very nice. The songs were good, Grover and Mr. Johnson were funny, the costumes were very good. It was nice to see Ernie in a prominent role in this special since he didn't get a line last season.
I agree. Billy really shined as Ernie in this one. He really nailed that trademark 'Kee hee hee' laugh. :smile: I wouldn't have known it wasn't Jim or Steve doing Ernie. I also agree with the above comment on Ryan's Elmo. You wouldn't know it wasn't Kevin. Seems like these new performers are doing a great job.

I liked how Mr. Johnson had a big role that wasn't about feuding with Grover,
Yeah. Seems like they made him more of a villian type of character rather than just a grumpy guy and that role seemed to work for him.

I know I've been saying for the past few years that Big Bird, sadly, just isn't sounding quite the same . . . well, Oscar's catching up now - there's an almost listless quality in his voice now, he was even lacking the usual gruffness throughout. :frown:
Yeah. I've noticed a difference in Oscar's voice lately. It's the same with Big Bird. I used to be able to tell when it's Carroll or when it's Matt voicing BB, but now it's harder to tell as there's a bit of congestion in both BB voices. But still you have to admire him for being persistent and sticking with the role of performing both characters for so long.

Thank you. Why did I type Stephanie? At least I was still within my editing timeframe to correct that.
Oh, it's an easy mistake to make. Heck, I wouldn't know who performed any of the female characters without reading these forums.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've finally found it online so now I can comment on this.
Where'd you find it? If you don't mind me asking.
Yeah. I've noticed a difference in Oscar's voice lately. It's the same with Big Bird. I used to be able to tell when it's Carroll or when it's Matt voicing BB, but now it's harder to tell as there's a bit of congestion in both BB voices. But still you have to admire him for being persistent and sticking with the role of performing both characters for so long.
I think it's partially due to Caroll's voice aging, but more than that, i've noticed that he tends to sound a bit off whenever he pre-records the voices instead of puppeteering.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 do you knlow where I can find online the Halloween episode from season 46? Thanks!

WereFox

Reaction score
So Sesame Street used to be a mean, rotten place back then, before becoming the cheerful, beloved place of today.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I was finally able to watch the special today and overall it was good, not fantastic but still good.

This was probably the most I laughed at the show since season 45, it finally had that signature Sesame Street humor that was lacking in most of this year's new episodes.

All the songs were catchy and I especially liked the "Try a Little Kindness" song. I definitely wasn't expecting Ernie and Bert's remake of "Two is You and Me". And speaking of Ernie and Bert, it was great to finally see them in a major role again. I'm still having a hard time getting into Billy Barkhurst's Ernie, but he has improved slightly over time.

Meanwhile, Ryan did a flawless job performing Elmo, he's just completely embodied the character and made him his own. This may be the first time i've ever said this but- Elmo was definitely the highlight of this special. Not that I dislike the little red guy, it's just the writers have rarely succeeded at making him a compelling character for so many years now, it's refreshing to finally see him develop more as a character.

And as someone else said, Leslie did a great job as Smudge. She's a fantastic performer, but she's not always right for some of the characters she gets, so she was well cast here.

All that being said, I think this whole special would've been much better if it was shorter. The pacing was a little off at times and it became pretty dull about half an hour in. I honestly feel the special should've just been around 30 minutes.

As for the guest stars, Audra MacDonald's cameo added nothing to the plot and was easily forgettable and Jim Gaffigan - well, he really didn't need to be there either. He didn't get much to do, so, they could've literally cast any other actor as Santa and it wouldn't have made a difference.

And one other thing, Elmo constantly interrupting the story got pretty annoying after about the third time.

Also, Joey's absence has already become very noticeable. In fact, the lack of Joey characters in season 46 felt a little odd, but had Joey still been with the show, he no doubt would've gotten some part in the special (besides the Two-Headed Monster, I mean). And speaking of Joey's characters, i've grown up with Joey's version of Two- Headed Monster, so it was a little strange hearing him played by someone else.