Now what's going on with YouTube?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Okay, really? For years, I've been speaking out about how YouTube screws us over, but it always falls on deaf ears - now, since PewDiePie is a huge YouTuber will millions of subscribers speaking out about the same thing, suddenly everybody is agreeing that more people need to start speaking out against these issues?

Really?
Yup, and PewDiePie even said that he was going to delete his channel over it once he got to 50 million subscribers. And do you know what happened? Well, apparently a lot of people dislike him because he reached the 50 million goal in no time.

But than do you know what happened? TURNS OUT THIS WAS ALL JUST A BIG PUBLICITY STUNT!!

Gosh, he's such an a**hole for misleading his audience like that! I didn't really care what happened to his channel before, as i'm not a fan, but now I really want that butt-hat to delete his channel. :mad:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And as I've said before, I really don't think that these guys with these bigger channels even realize just how much of a struggle it is for smaller channels to even try to grow because of how YouTube screws its users over. I once spoke with the Baracksdubs guy (he presently lives in my area, but apparently he's pulling a zefrank and is "selling out" and moving to L.A.), and we got to talking about building up viewership and what have, and I explained to him some of the struggles I've had with my channel, but I don't think he fully comprehended that YouTube limits growth for smaller channels more so while they allow the bigger channels to keep growing and growing. Again, tags are practically dead for small channels: yes, they're still there, and yes, you can still add tags to your videos, but if you're under a certain number of subscribers, your tags won't even be picked up by the search results, which really hurts growth for small channels because people aren't finding your videos or your channel. Now that I've just recently passed 100 subscribers, I'm now able to "brand" my channel (which means I can watermark my videos rather than actually add one myself when editing), but there's still certain other features that are being withheld until I reach 100,000 subscribers (that ain't gonna happen, lol).

But again, it just seems a little pretentious that these bigger channels are talking about these issues and being affected by them when it's really the smaller channels that are being affected by this, and have been for a long time now. Heck, just last week when it was that Casey Neistat guy who was doing something similar, I tried to use it as an opportunity to speak out about these issues and raise awareness of them . . . next thing I know, I got a few trolls out there that hunted my channel down to dislike videos and spam comments accusing me of accusing him of stealing subscribers away from me and all that crap, so I mean it's like . . . :sigh: Now here's PewDiePie speaking out about these same issues, and suddenly people are talking about how more awareness needs to be raised to bring this to people's attention . . . uh gee, yeah, I've been doing that for years and just get brushed off for it. I guess even on the internet, you have to have clout for people to listen to you.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Whelp, now i'm starting to get ads on Youtube videos, despite the fact that I have Adblock.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is why I have multiple adblockers installed - one is never enough with YouTube (and essentially any other video sharing site, especially Dailymotion), because they always find a way to bypass them. When I used Internet Explorer (which YouTube would always screw with to get people to switch to Chrome), I had at least two: AdFender and AdBlock Plus for IE; now that I use Opera, I have four or five installed as extensions, two of which are specifically for use on YouTube, and so far, they all work great.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never chose to monetize on YouTube (even though some of my videos are eligible for monezation) because I was aware that YouTube itself (and, in a way, Google) would be taking a percentage of whatever my earnings would be, but last night I learned that percentage is a whoppin' 40% of revenue . . . that's almost half! Google's business practices have always been sketchy, and they've been screwing people over for years, which is why I am never going to allow them to take a percentage of profit off content I create - especially not nearly half of it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Considering the business of YouTube is something the likes of which have never been seen before, I don't think there's any rules in place that would say it should be otherwise. There's no science as to who's getting views either; it can be anything from high-quality sketch things to simple vlogs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Accordingly, the revenue doesn't even come from views anyway (which makes sense, considering YouTube likes to keep freezing viewcounts anymore to "ensure accuracy"), but rather, the commercials that people click on, which certainly explains why they like to try and punish adblock users, while also trying to entice people to use this YouTube Red thing: if they can't get money one way, they'll do it another. deviantART is getting just as bad.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Has anybody else been getting the "video will play after this ad" thing on whenever they watch a video, It's ticking me off since I can't seem to skip any of YouTube's ads so far. :mad: