Muppet Film and TV References

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, and it's not like they haven't had to rebuild characters before, I mean heck, there are some Muppets that have to be replaced every 5-6 years, and some that have to be replaced every 10-12 years.

Unless, perhaps, maybe, Johnny's being phased out and retired like some characters are over time. Or, it could also be to free Bill up since Rowlf and Dr. Teeth have been brought back to more prominent roles - all the while still performing Pepe and Bobo.

When you think about it, Johnny (and by extention, Sal) didn't necessarily play that big a part within the context of the Muppets in general. Outside of MT, their biggest roles in a Muppet project seemed to be MOz; other than that, their roles in others seem to be very minor and small. Were they even in LTS? I don't even remember.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
And I still fail to see why they can't just build a new Johnny, they already rebuilt basically the entire cast back in 2010-ish.
I honestly doubt anyone working with The Muppets really remembers him aside from Bill Baretta.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
An old SNL reference not mentioned on the Wiki. During one of the SNL News Breaks (with Brian Doyle-Murray) during the show's rather dull 7th season ('81-'82), there was a joke about Big Bird being shot by a kid during a Sesame live appearance. What's notable about this reference is that it features actual footage from a Sesame cast tour - during the early days, at Matt Robinson is featured.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
On the British sitcom, The I.T. Crowd, Roy was wearing a Kermit shirt and somebody called him asking,
"Where's my bloody money?" and then he said,
"Just kidding ya Muppet!".

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
On The Simpsons, Chief Wiggum said something about how "a bunch of Muppets can take Manhattan". I don't remember the rest of the reference, but that was pretty much the main part.

Skywalker82

Reaction score
What about American Werewolf in London? it has a clip from the Muppet Show

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Well, it's official. Family Guy has parodied every main classic Sesame Street character except for Oscar, Snuffy, and Herry (all of which I'd like to see appear in the future).

Muppet Master

Reaction score
In last night's The Middle, Frankie reminisced about putting on Sesame Street cassettes for her son when he was little. Then her husband, Mike, chimed in that their son was always afraid of The Count.

Then Frankie remarked about how Elmo sang "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon". I was like ugh did they really have to have such an inaccurate reference?

To my surprise, like 2 minutes later, Mike chimed in about how it was Ernie who sang it. Good ol' Middle.