Little things we've noticed

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
I like how one monster is just Little Bird in horns and angry eyebrows.
In this lovely number
[youtube]
Placido sings an Italian Street song, backed by a bunch of animals.
We have Duchess, Watson and Dimples as the dogs. Two Sesame Street Pigs, some cows, the Sesame Street Board of Birds wood ******, and a snake. And of course, a Sesame Street duck. But then, we have the Sheep, Chickens, Frogs, and Ducks, and the seal mom from the Muppet Show.
Heck, one of those chickens may be Camilla
So we have Rowlf, Kermit, Rufus, Baskerville, Robin, and possibly Camilla.

cjd874

Reaction score
You are correct. You can read it on the Wiki, but they had shot a version of the segment with a different intro that didn't test well: some imaginary monsters invade the street and Ernie's room, scaring him. So, they re-shot enough to sort of work around it.

I can't confirm it, but I'm almost certain this picture is from when they shot the initial version.

Looks like Henson's puppet designers went all out to make those monsters look as ugly and scary as possible. I'm trying to figure out if those are just generic Anything Muppets decked out in fur and sharp teeth. It seems like it's the Fat Blue, Pumpkin, Lavender, and Little Bird with horns and orange hair. I wonder why they didn't throw this one into the mix: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Snitch_Whistle

Is it me or does the blue monster with the white beard look a little bit like Grover?

Jared DiCarlo

Reaction score
You are correct. You can read it on the Wiki, but they had shot a version of the segment with a different intro that didn't test well: some imaginary monsters invade the street and Ernie's room, scaring him. So, they re-shot enough to sort of work around it.

I can't confirm it, but I'm almost certain this picture is from when they shot the initial version.

Hey, is that orange monster supposed to be Frazzle?

cjd874

Reaction score
Hey, is that orange monster supposed to be Frazzle?
Yep. Frazzle was originally an anonymous Anything Muppet monster, first used in the "Beat the Time: Cookie Monster" and "Dialing for Prizes" game show sketches from 1973 and 1974. He got his name in 1975 in a classic song sung by the Frazzletones, consisting of more Anything Muppet monsters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
During Season 19, there's evidence that they were in the process of updating the set by adding actual texture to structures, such as the brick siding of the buildings rather than just painted-on walls, but here's an interesting shot that reveals they hadn't finished the side wall of Hooper's at the time of this taping:

You can see they only got about as far up as that trellis at the side door, and everything about that is still just a flat, painted wall.

gravy

Reaction score
At the end of a lot of SS Podcasts, you can see an editing error where it says ''Closing Graphic'' towards the end.

gravy

Reaction score
At the beginning of ''I don't want to live on the moon'' you can hear the director yelling ''Action!'' if you listen closely.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's a few random inserts where you can hear somebody yell "Action!" or "Cut!" There's one insert that starts with a director (presumably Jon Stone) yelling, "Quiet please!" with Grover repeating it on-camera and shaking before starting the bit.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the song "We Coulda", when Biff and Sully imagine themselves in other careers, they don't fully change clothes, mainly just headgear and occasionally have some clothing accessories added.

I rewatched a few times before I fully noticed this (before, I really only noticed that, when they are doctors, they don't wear doctors coats). Like when they are actors, shown in Shakespearian clothes, they really just have capes (and in Biff's case, a collar) applied. And when they appear as presidents, they just have ties and some white collar things attached around their necks (for a long time, mainly just by going by one still at Muppet Wiki, I thought they were in proper suits).

I guess they didn't want to spend a lot of time changing their clothes (I wonder how difficult/time consuming it is to change clothes of puppets, especially when they have arm wires or arm sleeves in the way, though I think one of the behind-the-scenes clips on the 40th anniversary DVD shows somebody changing the clothes of a lavendar live-hand puppet).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
In all forms of media, time is money. There's about eight different scenes not on the street set in that song and they had to spend probably a short amount of time setting each one up. Changing the entire puppets' outfits for each one would've been much more time consuming.