The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Back to the Future II, when Doc and Marty find that the police of Jennifer found her asleep and are to send her to her 2015 home, Doc tells Marty "what'll we say, that we're time travelers? We'd be committed."

But they have the time machine with them. They have the evidence that they are time travelers (though I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the cops to get in there to prove they are time travelers).

I've seen the original "Number Two" draft of the script, which has a scene with Doc telling Marty that time travel is supposed to be a secret. I think the comic book series also shows a backstory where Doc decides this. It would have been better to have had Doc tell Marty that time travel should be a secret.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Even though it's Easter, I'm, for some reason, in the mood for Halloween right now.
It's the changing weather. Right now it feels falling here...all last week, highs in the 50s. Also, the hotter it becomes, the more I long for autumn weather!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You an me both, sister! It was comfortable and more fall-like the last few days here as well, but our temps have jumped way up now into the upper 70s and possibly even the low 80s for the next couple of weeks, so as you well know, I'm not too happy about that, lol.

At least there's halloweenradio.net for the time being.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
You an me both, sister! It was comfortable and more fall-like the last few days here as well, but our temps have jumped way up now into the upper 70s and possibly even the low 80s for the next couple of weeks, so as you well know, I'm not too happy about that, lol.

At least there's halloweenradio.net for the time being.
Too early for me to listen to that kind of music.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Liar Liar, there's a deleted courtroom scene where Fletcher defends a client, named Skull (and played by Randall "Tex" Cobb, who also played Lyle in Ernest Goes to Camp and the guy Ace delivers a package to at the beginning of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective). Later on, there's a reference to this, with Greta telling Fletcher that Skull called and hit another ATM and needing his legal advice. Seems like a random moment (though for a long time, after noticing the actors name in the opening credits and seeing that he played a character named Skull, I kept wondering who this "Skull" was - it doesn't help that his head had been shaved for this movie and his one line that made it didn't seem to be from a real notable character), but in the scene itself, Skull is never referred to by name. Fletcher just refers to him as "my client". So if it was left in, it could still seem like a random scene (unless we were paying attention to the fact that an ATM was involved).

I first learned of this scene in the trivia section at the Internet Movie Database, which points out that so much of the character was cut that he ended up with only one line (after the court case, he thanks Fletcher and asks if he'd like back the coat he loaned him). But in the courtroom scene, he doesn't get any dialogue at all. Of course the scene does focus on him, and maybe he's keeping his right to remain silent when not being questioned in court, but it's still interesting.

IMDB also mentioned another deleted scene with Skull, one that I haven't read about anywhere else or seen official confirmation about (and I'm assuming it's not on the DVD), where Skull is Fletcher's cell mate when he gets arrested. If that's true, I'd like to see what happened there (I wonder if there's any drafts of the script online). Of course in the one scene that made it into the final cut where Fletcher is shown behind bars, I have noticed a character sleeping on a bed in the cell who looks like Skull. Maybe it is him, or maybe it's just somebody who looks like him (and the IMDB user assumed there was a deleted scene based on this).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One of my favorite sitcoms ever (and one of the best ever on tv) is "All in the Family".
When I was younger, I thought Archie Bunker was just a loud, ignorant racist pig. Just like my dad.
I thought Mike Stivic, the hippie liberal that I identified a lot with, that's how I was going to end up like. But things change.

In the beginning, much of the humor came from the tensions between conservative Archie and the liberal Meathead. But as the series progressed (and as I got older) I began to see Archie wasn't always wrong, and Mike wasn't always right.

Archie (when the series started, the character was 49, like me now) was a white, conservative, blue collar working stiff, stuck in a soon-to-be-outdated-job, unable to keep up with all the world changing around him. But he had a solid marriage to Edith the Dingbat, and strong Christian ties underneath his bigotry.

Mike Stivic was the polar opposite of Archie. Liberal, left-wing, aetheist, but felt entitled to live for free under Archie's roof and criticize his "old-fashioned" beliefs. Mike was the poster boy for the 70's equivalent of "Black Lives Matter", going out of his way to be Lionel Jefferson's best friend, and furthering the cause for Black people. But for all his self-righteousness, Mike was every bit as stubborn, cheauvinistic, and narrow-minded as he accused Archie of being.

I didn't think it was possible, but I can identify more with Archie now than I ever can with Mike. And that's not a bad thing.
Thank you Norman Lear, and your writers, for making the characters so deep over the course of nine seasons, as opposed to shallow stereotypes.
Some of the topical humor may have not aged well, but "All in the Family" can still strike a chord today.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
At the end of the Looney Tunes short Porky Pig's Feat, Daffy gets the idea that Bugs Bunny can help him and Porky escape from the hotel, ranting and raving about Bugs Bunny being his hero. This is in contrast to when they would regularly star in cartoons together later on, but I've come up with a theory that makes sense (I also added this to the Wild Mans Guess section of TV Tropes' Looney Tunes page).

Daffy was a big fan of Bugs Bunny, and with the early Daffy acting more like a child, he saw him as a hero. But then when Daffy needed Bugs to help him, Bugs was unable to, disappointing him greatly. This affected Daffy's spirits, making him a bit bitter and resenting Bugs Bunny for not being the hero he appears to be in the movies. Heartbroken, he would soon start to act more like an adult as he would become more and more resentful of Bugs, especially when Bugs was associated as the star of the Looney Tunes. When duck hunting season comes, Daffy specifically changes the signs to rabbit season (he could have picked a different animal), and he's not just content with changing the signs, he needs to actually see Bugs Bunny get shot.

It could also explain why Bugs wasn't in The Scarlett Pumpernickle. Daffy wrote the screenplay and imagined who would be playing who, but wanted Bugs to be left out (of course, he could have imagined Bugs in an embarrassing role). But could you imagine if that short had a different ending, where the producer decides to greenlight the script but would rather have Bugs play the title role?

Of course, that doesn't explain why Daffy would occasionally travel underground with Bugs, or why he'd take a vacation to Bugs' hole in The Million Hare (unless it's a case of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer").

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Bugs and Daffy feud was already long-established when I was a kid, so seeing Daffy regard Bugs as a hero and speaking so highly of him in that short did seem quite odd, out of character, and out of context.

But what confuses me more than anything is how the manager of the hotel basically imprisoned Daffy and Porky in their room for not paying their bill . . . in a real world setting, the manager would have kicked them out and tosses all their belongings out with them.

I also find it amusing that, according to their bill, the room itself was only $60. That even seems steep by today's standards, where most hotel rooms run $35-48, but I guess back then $60 must have seemed astronomical.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
But what confuses me more than anything is how the manager of the hotel basically imprisoned Daffy and Porky in their room for not paying their bill . . . in a real world setting, the manager would have kicked them out and tosses all their belongings out with them.
I would have thought he'd send them to jail (a real jail, not a hotel room looking like a prison cell). Of course if they are unable to pay before they leave, then it'd be hard for them to get the money to pay. I wonder if the manager considered having them work off the debt.

[QUOTE="D'Snowth]I also find it amusing that, according to their bill, the room itself was only $60. That even seems steep by today's standards, where most hotel rooms run $35-48, but I guess back then $60 must have seemed astronomical.[/QUOTE]

There's been a few times in the shorts when characters complain about paying what seems cheap today (like Daffy complaining about paying 25 cents for a taxi ride in Show Biz Bugs, or Daffy complaining about how much a 1990 movie ticket cost in Box Office Bunny), I guess this is one of those cases where the expense is still relevant.