The Muppets (2015) One Year Later

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I actually just watched through the series again (bought them digitally on Amazon since I'm not expecting a Blu-ray anytime soon) and this show was brilliant. I can't believe that it wasn't more popular (I'm guessing a lot of it had to do with bad press from those ****ing cows running "One Million Moms").

I get why it was canceled though. I'm sure it wasn't cheap to make.

And I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I liked the show more before they did the "retooling", didn't need that at all. Every episode was great though.
I can't agree more, episodes 1-10 were gold, I just can or ever will understand the hate. Outside of the finale, I did not enjoy any post-retool episodes.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, the trouble is that a lot of people complained that it wasn't family-friendly enough for a Muppet show and I don't totally disagree with that. (Recall my beef with the song they sang in the "Tale of Two Piggies" episode.) I personally think ABC did better with "Muppets Tonight!" I know a lot of people weren't too fond of that one, but that's okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
We finally viewed the whole series over the past couple of months. I saw from the individual threads here that the show deeply polarized the MC community, and I don't want to retread arguments.

But.

Though I didn't care for the writers' take on the characters for the first few eps, I could see where they pulled their material from. In TMS, Kermit DID waffle over what/who he really wanted romantically, and was sometimes a total jerk; Piggy was sometimes insecure and shallow-acting; even the Newsman acted too full of himself --

:news: Hey!

Well, you DID. Sometimes. Which is why stuff fell on you.

So, while I didn't agree with the characterizations in several episodes, I could at least grudgingly acknowledge there was some basis for them in classic Muppet fare. Fozzie seemed completely out of character for most of the series to me, but I'll freely admit I've never been able to write Foz well either. I prefer to view Newsie as insecure and blustery to try and hide that weakness, but dedicated to his craft, to truth, attempting to bring sobriety to an utterly insane troupe despite his tendency to, as Lady Ru has put it, attract disaster like a trailer park. The new show's writers clearly saw him as more of a puffed-ego, sensationalist hack, which had been Fleet's job instead on TMS. But hey, I could see the raw ingredients in the source, so I was willing to go with it and see what happened.

The last few eps, from, say, 12 on...were marvelous. Kermit realizing he did miss Piggy, and actively supporting her. The departure of the overly airheaded Denise. Camilla back with Gonzo. Actual character development over cheap shots! YES! I was very disappointed it was canceled, as the writers seemed to have finally found their footing, and realized most people DO want to see Kermit and Piggy grow towards each other.

Failed experiment? Unfortunately.
Will that stop us fans from loving the characters we grew up with?
It shouldn't. And for me it won't.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
In my opinion Episodes 1-5 were ok but could have been a lot better. 6-10 were fantastic the writers were getting it right but 11-13 were back to episode 1-10 standard to frog and pig heavy for me. 14-16 were getting back to the shows best and i feel that these last three were part of the original 13 episodes.