How big was Kermit's role on Sesame Street?

WiGgY

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about that. I think part of Kermit's not being on the show has to do with the separation of Sesame Street from the Jim Henson Company.

I miss the old style of Sesame Street. Before I started reading stuff in this section of the forum, I hadn't even bothered to watch it for many years. Now I see the new format and it's not the same Sesame Street I remember. All those great little skits were wonderful and the show actually happened on the street. Now only a fourth of the show is on the street and the rest has to do with JTE, Elmo's World and the Number and Letter of the day segments.

Do they even do that classic "Sesame Street was brought to you by...." anymore? ARGH! Change sucks.

ssetta

Reaction score
That's why I think they should keep Unpaved, or better yet, release a DVD series of every Sesame Street episode ever made. I know it sounds unfeasible, but why can't they do it? Sure they could!

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Kermit had a huge role on SS during the first season, and was used to give lectures and explain concepts to children. Then, he was taken off and replaced by Herbert Birdsfoot, who took over as lecturer.

Then Kermie re-appeared in 1971-1972, and then was seen less regularly once THE MUPPET SHOW debuted in 1975.

Censored

Reaction score
Jeffrey Gray said:
He was on street segments...sort of. He often participated in "One of These Things..." segments, which were set on the street. He also sometimes did interviews on the street.

After "The Muppet Show" started, Kermit appeared on the street much less; possibly not at all.

:smile: And I recall a street segment where Kermit was ill and Susan had him lie on the window. He complained, "I'm bored." He also interacted with Big Bird and a child in "Christmas Eve On Sesame Street."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
MIKEB97 said:
Aside from episode one, Kermit has also been in street scenes at other times;

*The Third Season Premiere(1971)
*The Fourth Season Premiere (1972)
*Drawing the Letter K with his magic fingers(1972)
*Drawing the Letter M with his magic fingers(1972)
*Kermit slept in Big Bird's nest beside Big Bird and Snuffy in "Big Bird's Story Time"(My Sesame Street Home Video, 1987)
*Christmas Eve On Sesame Street (1978)
*Put Down the Duckie (1988)
*Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting (1989)
*Slimey landing on the Moon (1998)
*Slimey arrvies home (1998)
*Part One of the Hurricane Series (2001)

Kermit and Oscar were seen together in Put Down the Duckie, In Ernie's bathroom and There was a skit were Oscar and his grouch possy attempted to build a bus stop in Kermit's house and they ended drving a bus through it.
Don't forget that also in 2001, Kermit introduced Kep Mo singing a song with some other S.S. muppets, as well as the long lost Frazzle.

ssetta

Reaction score
I seem to remember this Kermit/Grover sketch from 1998, I think this was the only time it ever aired, and I could swear it was with Steve Whitmire. Kermit was in his house explaining about dark and light, and he has a lamp. So he turns the lamp off to explain dark. And at that moment, Grover came in through the door, letting light in. Then, he closes the door, the room is completely dark, and their eyes just move around in the picture, and Grover keeps crashing into everything. So then, Grover opens the door, the house is a complete mess, Kermit ends up with the lampshade on his head, and Grover says, "I love that hat! Where did you get that hat?"

CherryPizza

Reaction score
There was a tendency in early season 30 to have a number of "crowd scenes" on the street. Classic characters would be seen populating the street as "extras" while Elmo, Baby Bear, Elmo, Telly, Elmo, Big Bird, Elmo, Snuffy, Elmo, Zoe, Elmo, Rosita, Elmo, Elmo, Elmo, Elmo and the other characters who were given an occasional role in the street story would be in the foreground.

At one point, Big Bird was walking down the street saying hello to everybody, and Kermit was actually sitting in Gordon and Susan's window and Big Bird said hi to him. Sure, no speaking role, but we gotta take whatever trace of the good old days we can get :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Does anyone have that episode? Of Kermit and the Grover one as well?

billyk

Reaction score
I saw Kermit on the "I Love The '70s" series. He was one of the commentators.