Return to the Labyrinth (Sequel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aofbabe

Reaction score
Gremlin said:
this seems to be the most overdone hoax since bigfoot.:mad: im pretty %@#* depressed now, my hopes were up but not any more:frown: I was fooled, :cry: I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly wanted this movie to be real, I need a hug........................

Hey grimmy! have no fear here's a hug! a/s/l? :flirt:

chibireaper

Reaction score
Labyrinth News

Well, while that story movie you all where talknig about was not real, this is:

Jim Henson Company and TokyoPop are collaberating together to make a true sequel, titled "Return to Labyrinth". It will be produced in manga form (graphic novels, as they are also known). The artwork will be done by Chris Lie, and the story will be writen by Jake T. Forbes.

The actual plot of this sequel will be about Toby, now 13yrs old, who returns to the Labyrinth to assume his role as the heir to the Goblin Kingdom.

This manga (graphic novel) will be available in all book stores begining in August of this year (2006).

The collaberative team working on Return to Labyrinth will also be producing a manga for Mirror Mask, and a prequel Manga for The Dark Crystal. There has also been news that a prequel movie for The Dark Crystal is also in preproduction for theatrical release.

To learn more, all of this information is available at Tokyopop's main website.
Just type "Return to Labyrinth" into the search bar and look for the article titled "The Jim Henson Company, TOKYOPOP, and Neil Gaiman Set to Bring MirrorMask and Classic Fantasy Titles to Manga"

Hope you found this news as exciting as I did, and repost this info other places to help inform people of this great news and let them know prequels and sequel to some of Jim Henson's greatest work is just around the corner.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, Chibireaper! I knew that a manga was in the works, but didn't know that it was coming out in August. I guess that explains the "Return to Labyrinth" T-shirts that Henson.com is selling, and why there's a 20th-anniversary screening of the film in L.A. tonight. (I mean, a 20th-anniversary screening would be cool anyway, but I'm guessing that Henson is doing it specifically to promote the comic.)

One correction, sort of: All information on Dark Crystal 2 (the movie) up to this point indicates that it's a sequel taking place many years after the original. The prequel story will be comics (manga) only. But if information surfaces that indicates a change in direction, I'm happy to hear it.

Do you know a good site to order the comic from? I'm guessing most retailers won't bother to carry it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of manga, but looks like I'm about to become one! Great news and looking forward to seeing this stuff happen!

chibireaper

Reaction score
Return to Labyrinth

Absolutly not true about it not being carried anywhere. Since you guys probably aren't as familliar with the manga/anime biz as I am (love it as much as Labyrinth) the publisher that has agreed to make the manga is Tokyopop, the largest manga giant on the entire planet. If any book store carries its stuff (i.e. Borders and Barnes&Noble, and many comic book and anime shops) I can almost garentee that you will be able to find it there. However, if for some some bizzare strange reason you can't find it at Borders or Barnes&Noble, you will be able to order directly online from the main Tokyopop website (just add a .com after tokyopop). It will be a bit more expensive online (they don't lower prices to compensate for shipping and handling). All manga runs at $10 a volume no matter where you get it (except special art books and oddly sized books, which will not apply to Return to Labyrinth). I would probably wait till about the second week of August to try looknig for it in stores, because shipping new stuff from Japan takes a while to get into stores.

Oh, and on a side note, Tokyopop is making a really big deal about Return to Labyrinth this weekend at the San Deigo Comic Convention (SDCC). They are having Henson reps, the writer, and the artist talking about it at special pannels and having a large autograph singing session after where they are giving out free "Return to Labyrinth" posters.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I know my local comic shop will be selling the book. So, I'm pleased with that.

A buddy of mine who owns www.toshigawa.com was trying to get "in" with Tokyopop. I think they've talked.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome about all the publicity it will be recieving! Also glad to hear that it will end up at most comic retailers. I guess I'm just used to my favorite Jim Henson movie being ignored by retailers of any kind (i.e., the Labyrinth shirts produced for Hot Topic but not available anywhere in the Chicagoland area). Also not used to being able to find non-Marvel, non-DC titles at my local comic outlet (any issue of any Dark Horse STAR WARS series is usually very difficult to find, or issues of Innovation's QUANTUM LEAP or Acclaim's SLIDERS for that matter).

I had heard of Tokyopop, but didn't realize how big they were.

So this is all very good news. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it! :excited:

alorindanya

Reaction score
Please save yourself the money and DO NOT BUY THIS manga. We all need to protest for a rewrite with someone who actually knows what they are writing about. See for yourself http://dreamtlove.livejournal.com/33287.html

Labyrinth is my passion, so there is no way I am going to not say something when CRAP like this is shown to the public. Give me KL Morgan's "A Forfeit of Dreams" as a comic, now THAT is a story worth reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.