Marilyn Sokol appreciation thread

animalrescuer

Reaction score
We all know that Marilyn Sokol is best known for voicing Ma Otter in Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas as well as doing songs and voiceover for Sesame Street. But as this video clip shows, she's a fantastic actress and she's funny, too!

Let's take a moment to appreciate this talented woman.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
She was also Aunt May at Camp Echo Rock, who could never get that blasted whistle to work.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, you picked the right month to start this thread, since her most famous voice role was on "Emmet Otter". I always really liked her voice. Her singing was always beautiful sure, but she also has a great speaking voice. She has this sort of great mother type voice that I always liked about her.

I think my favorite bit she did was the "Bumble Ardy" cartoon from Sesame Street:

Interesting thing about Marilyn: Like Richard Hunt and Fran Brill, she was originally hired by Jim as a puppeteer in 1970, working on "The Great Santa Claus Switch", but after working on that special she decided she wasn't a very good puppeteer. So, because Jim needed more female voices, she ended up staying with the Muppets as a voice actor instead of puppeteer.
Y'know, I wonder what would've happened if she had continued puppeteering. She didn't think she was very good, but I don't think Fran or Richard were either, however they did improve a lot over time.

cjd874

Reaction score
As far as her voice goes, one my favorite songs is her belting out "I Want a Monster to be my Friend."

That's been one of my favorite SS songs ever since I found the original Monsters album nearly twenty years ago. Years later when I found this video on YouTube, it really sealed the deal for me. It goes from an innocent song into an all-out blues number. Although Marilyn Sokol rocks it here, I get a kick out of watching the monster musicians doing their thing, especially the saxophone monster. On a side note, Marilyn sings a "Monster Lullaby" on that album too, and it's really beautiful. She's featured with Richard Hunt on that one.

I'm trying to figure out who did the puppetry for each character in this number. I'm pretty sure Jim, Frank, Richard, and Jerry are working the Muppets here, but as for which one's they're performing, it's still a mystery.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That's been one of my favorite SS songs ever since I found the original Monsters album nearly twenty years ago. Years later when I found this video on YouTube, it really sealed the deal for me. It goes from an innocent song into an all-out blues number. Although Marilyn Sokol rocks it here, I get a kick out of watching the monster musicians doing their thing, especially the saxophone monster. On a side note, Marilyn sings a "Monster Lullaby" on that album too, and it's really beautiful. She's featured with Richard Hunt on that one.

I'm trying to figure out who did the puppetry for each character in this number. I'm pretty sure Jim, Frank, Richard, and Jerry are working the Muppets here, but as for which one's they're performing, it's still a mystery.
To me it looks like Frank is manipulating Betty Lou. As for the monsters, i'm not sure. However, I do know a lot of the time when they have speaking roles, Jim was often Harvey (the dark blue monster), Jerry was Maurice (the one with the green nose) and Richard was occasionally the little purple one.

Pockets 8

Reaction score
Her voice I never forget in a Sesame Street clip/song many people don't remember but I sure do; "Pockets". I first seen that song/clip when I was little and remembered it. My mom would sing along whenever it was on and she sang it around the house. I still remember the first scene; a tan jacket with a flap and snap pocket on the chest. That music on a clarinet started playing and Marilyn sang,"what would we do without pockets?"

Pockets 8

Reaction score
Her voice I never forget in a Sesame Street clip/song many people don't remember but I sure do; "Pockets". I first seen that song/clip when I was little and remembered it. My mom would sing along whenever it was on and she sang it around the house. I still remember the first scene; a tan jacket with a flap and snap pocket on the chest. That music on a clarinet started playing and Marilyn sang,"what would we do without pockets?" I think this is her best song with her voice.

gravy

Reaction score
Her voice I never forget in a Sesame Street clip/song many people don't remember but I sure do; "Pockets". I first seen that song/clip when I was little and remembered it. My mom would sing along whenever it was on and she sang it around the house. I still remember the first scene; a tan jacket with a flap and snap pocket on the chest. That music on a clarinet started playing and Marilyn sang,"what would we do without pockets?" I think this is her best song with her voice.
Do you mean this?