Remembering Jim Henson, 27 years after May 16, 1990

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe it has been 27 years since Jim's passing on May 16, 1990. Like many of you, we'll never forget that day. Share your memories of May 16, 1990 and the impact Jim Henson continues to have on your life. Feel free to also post art, poems or favorite Henson video clips in honor of Jim.

Listen to the music of Jim Henson on Muppet Central Radio. Read our Jim Henson tributes for many stories from the days and weeks after Jim Henson's passing. Our "Remembering Jim Henson" menu designed by Jamie is also now on our home page.

Join us in celebrating his legacy that will live on for generations.

theSHE124

Reaction score
If you guys wanna more recent share, here it goes: last Sunday (Mother's Day), I was in Seymour, Texas. Not much to see more there--[cue rimshot!]--except for the Whiteside Museum of Natural History. Fossil excavating has renewed in that county, and one Permian creature of currently unknown species was named after me. That's because my Dad loves to volunteer in fossil finding--all he has to do is dig! :busy:

Anyway, I went there to help in the research, just three of us: Dad, myself, and Chris the lead paleontologist. My Dad often takes videos updating on the digging. Sometimes, they do a little review when leaving a site; other times, they do something silly. One fun thing they like to do is Paleo-Karaoke! That's when they record an impromptu singalong, no need to remember all the words, it's part of the fun.

Since it was Mother's Day, I thought about singing something for my Mom. She loved Barry Mantilow back in the day, though this was the best song I can easily remember from, well, y'all know where...

Probably not a true Jim Henson memorial thing, unless you count good old Rowlf tickling the ivories! :sympathy:

gravy

Reaction score
Today I'm going to watch basically the timeline of Jim Henson's projects, starting from Sam and Friends to the memorial and then the tribute.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Cherished Jim...I'm still in mourning; he truly was a creative genius...
Loved him; Millions were sorry and sad that he had to leave this world..
His work was..what can I say.. 'in the pocket'...Peace still be to Jim Henson
:smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
27 years goes by in the blink of an eye.
it's hard for me to feel sad for Jim anymore, knowing we will be reunited with him in Heaven. So we're just on our own, for now.

I hope you younger folk can appreciate how brief and how fragile life is. I was 22 when Jim passed. Now, I'm almost the age he was when he died.

If you want to remember and honor Jim, don't waste your time while you're here. Someday our time will come for us to leave. No exceptions. Do you want to look back on your time here and feel satisfied, thinking "I made a difference"? Or do you want to squander it being angry, hateful, jealous, bitter, and worrying about things you can't change?

Jim had as much time as anybody else. And he didn't waste it.

gravy

Reaction score
it's hard for me to feel sad for Jim anymore, knowing we will be reunited with him in Heaven. So we're just on our own, for now.

I hope you younger folk can appreciate how brief and how fragile life is. I was 22 when Jim passed. Now, I'm almost the age he was when he died.

If you want to remember and honor Jim, don't waste your time while you're here. Someday our time will come for us to leave. No exceptions. Do you want to look back on your time here and feel satisfied, thinking "I made a difference"? Or do you want to squander it being angry, hateful, jealous, bitter, and worrying about things you can't change?

Jim had as much time as anybody else. And he didn't waste it.
Well said.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Like you all know, growing up, Thomas was always my thing, but there's something about the Muppets that's just so great... and it's no surprise considering the man who made them. RIP