PBS launches first-ever national 24/7 PBS Kids Channel via broadcast OTA and on-line

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Yes, they have to have those too. Although, the problem is, 90s kids would've watched different shows (besides SST and Mr.Rogers) than the kids in the 70s and 80s. So they would have to figure out how to divide the shows if they were to air them.
Reading Rainbow and Ghostwriter definitely were watched by a lot of kids in the 90s, so those should be included...although the latter only had 3 seasons, while the former has a wealth of episodes that can be shown.

Very hard to say. As I said before, SST has been watched by multiple generations, so it would be hard to really decipher which episodes after the early 90s would count as classic. Some people consider seasons 30-32 classic, while others don't. I'd say anything from seasons 1 through 32, as most of the audience from that time is now around twenty and older.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I'd agree. Seeing how back in 2008, they considered anything before Season 25 classic, but then Season 25 got promoted to being considered classic when a few episodes from that season were included in the classic episodes put on iTunes, then when the HBO deal started, well...you get the idea.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here's how I see "classic" sort of: if you base it on that 2008 labeling, everything after season 24 was "new." However, that's been almost nine years ago. Does that cut-off stay where it is? Probably not. In 2008, 1993 was 15 years back. Now, it's 24. If that's how they're going to define things, using a certain number of years prior to the current season as opposed to setting a specific season mark, then so be it.

As for the HBO "classics," I can see why they chose the episodes they did: most parents who are probably watching the new shows with their kids grew up on those 90s stuff. Not so sure about the post-season 32 ones, but whatever. I'll go with it.

And frankly, I kind of prefer seeing the 90s shows because even though there isn't as much classic stuff in each show, there's a wider variety of segments. In any of those given shows, you can see something new, something from the 80s, 70s or even '69.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What is up with this disgusting framerate of the episodes broadcasted on PBS Kids' 24-hour channel? It looks like it's 12fps or something . . . very choppy, and very poor quality (like trying to watch a 360p YouTube video on a dial-up connection): not something I would expect from a premium digital cable channel.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Every time I've tried to tune into classic ARTHUR this week, modern SST has been on instead.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I get the channel here. It's called Kids Thirteen in my area, and has existed since 2002. Anyway, it seems to be the same schedule as it was before the relaunch, which has a heavy focus on Thomas and Friends and Sesame Street. I actually remember watching Kids 13 pre-relaunch, and usually they would air preschool shows in the morning, stuff aimed at older kids in the afternoon, and shows for parents like A Place Of Our Own (which I watched on the main Thirteen channel as it came on before PBS Kids) at night. In between shows would be specially made promos for the shows on the station. For example, there was a Sesame one that started with Grover saying "Aloha!" and a kid's voice asking "Are you ready to go somewhere exciting?" or something, a Barney promo which had a scene where he stood next to a treehouse and a Mr. Rogers promo that began with him looking at the trolley. I could only find this Kids 13-exclusive promo online:

And this isn't the first PBS Kids cable channel. There was an attempt to bring a PBS Kids channel to cable in the late 90's/early 2000's, but it failed because it was only on one cable provider (DirecTV) and some shows, like Sesame Street, were not on it due to other cable stations having the rights to them (Noggin had the rights to Sesame at the time). Here's an article about it.

I don't see why they don't show Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. We need his lessons now more then ever.
I did see one local PBS that had a kids' station that showed it around the time this channel premiered...at 5:30AM (at the time, episode 1520 was on). This was followed by an airing of a Season 1 episode of Arthur (the one with "Meek for a Week"). I forgot which channel it was, though...

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I get the channel here. It's called Kids Thirteen in my area, and has existed since 2002. Anyway, it seems to be the same schedule as it was before the relaunch, which has a heavy focus on Thomas and Friends and Sesame Street. I actually remember watching Kids 13 pre-relaunch, and usually they would air preschool shows in the morning, stuff aimed at older kids in the afternoon, and shows for parents like A Place Of Our Own (which I watched on the main Thirteen channel as it came on before PBS Kids) at night. In between shows would be specially made promos for the shows on the station. For example, there was a Sesame one that started with Grover saying "Aloha!" and a kid's voice asking "Are you ready to go somewhere exciting?" or something, a Barney promo which had a scene where he stood next to a treehouse and a Mr. Rogers promo that began with him looking at the trolley. I could only find this Kids 13-exclusive promo online:

And this isn't the first PBS Kids cable channel. There was an attempt to bring a PBS Kids channel to cable in the late 90's/early 2000's, but it failed because it was only on one cable provider (DirecTV) and some shows, like Sesame Street, were not on it due to other cable stations having the rights to them (Noggin had the rights to Sesame at the time). Here's an article about it.

I don't see why they don't show Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. We need his lessons now more then ever.
I did see one local PBS that had a kids' station that showed it around the time this channel premiered...at 5:30AM (at the time, episode 1520 was on). This was followed by an airing of a Season 1 episode of Arthur (the one with "Meek for a Week"). I forgot which channel it was, though...
The only Caillou thing I remember from when I was younger was Caillou's Funtime Theater. That, and a Caillou cassette tape.