The Muppets: Originals vs Recasts

Princeton

Reaction score
You sure you wanna open this can of worms?...Here we go.
Steve: So like most of us, my first exposure to Steve's Kermit was MCC and since I was only four years old when that film came out, i couldn't ell the difference. And because so much time went by before I realized Steve replaced Jim, they both gelled in my mind as Kermit's voice. I don't like Steve's Beaker or Statler (but then again I didn't like Jerry's Statler either).
Eric: I know Eric has been performing Frank's characters for 15+ years but I will always loathe his performances of them. He makes absolutely no attempt to make Piggy sound female and it's so troubling. His overall performance of Fozzie is a little shaky but when he really shines as Fozzie is when doing interviews on talk shows. It's so clear that he really boned up on Fozzie's personality upon being cast. If Eric has a best performance, it's probably Sam but since Sam's nothing but a Muppet Mitt Romney, who cares?
Bill: As a whole, his performances of Jim's Characters have been pretty solid. The one slight moan was the decision to not have Rowlf speak until the first James Bobin film. I really feel like they shot themselves in the foot by casting Bill as Bobo and establishing him as a character first because by the time Bill performed Rowlf for the first time, you realize Bobo and Rowlf have the exact same voice. So now we're back to square one in terms of Rowlf's appearances being limited because you can't have Bobo and Rowlf be in the same scene.
David: In my mind, there are two perfect recasts and David's Cookie is one of them. As far as Richard's characters go, they're not pitch perfect representations but they do Richard proud.
Matt: I've said it before and I'll say it a million more times if I have to: Matt's performances of Jerry's characters sound exactly like Dave (and frankly so does Constantine, but I highly doubt they're bringing him back again so it doesn't really matter). So for all the difference it makes, give Jerry's characters to Dave because not counting Chip, Dave has the lowest workload in terms of characters. Now remember when I said that there were two perfect recasts? The other is Matt's Sweetums. In the Muppets TV series, for the longest time I thought they dubbed in Richard's voice.