Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Good news about the full-length bonus episode that appears on this disc: The opening theme song is included! I guess there's no longer an issue with including the theme song on DVD.
Well, I just found that, although the opening is included, the closing credits are cut.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've seen that the next Sesame Street DVD is coming August 8, and will be the first Elmo's World DVD to contain episodes of the new format. It'll be titled Elmo's Wonderful World (ever since I saw the new opening, which has that among the lyrics, I've felt that the reformatted segments should have been titled Elmo's Wonderful World).

I wondered if maybe it would have all 25 episodes introduced this year. Muppet Wiki says that it'll be an hour, so with them being five minutes each, that'll be 12 episodes, so not the whole series yet. Then again, there have been previous DVD releases that listed incorrect run times before (remember when it was announced that The Best of Elmo 2 was to be 27 minutes?).

I got the Elmo Loves Animals DVD today, and it's interesting. The half-hour episodes from season 46 are pretty much presented as half-hour episodes, with the extra segments following the street stories, while earlier street stories are just presented as stand-alone street stories, without extra segments. The DVD actually opens with the season 46 opening (and the number 4603), but the opening and closing isn't presented with all the half-hour episodes. Also absent are the season 46 cold openings and the PBS outros.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, on August 29, there's going to be a new DVD called Trick or Treat on Sesame Street, obviously Halloween-themed (and two months early). I think this will be the first time since Warner Home Video got the video rights that they put out two new Sesame Street releases in a single month (to be fair, one comes out near the beginning and this one comes out at the very end of the month).

I forgot to say before, when I talked about the announcement of the Elmo's Wonderful World DVD, but that one will contain two bonus episodes of The Furchester Hotel, marking the shows first region 1 DVD release. I think I said this sooner, but episodes of that show should have been a bonus feature on the Elmo and Cookie Monster DVD (since those two are regulars).

Please tell me, is Tomato the Musical 11 minutes long? I would hate to know that they edit ETM down for DVDs too.
When I saw this question, I thought Tomato the Musical was one of the segments produced for season 46, one that had to be shortened for broadcast. Then I looked at the Elmo the Musical guide at Muppet Wiki and saw that it was broadcast before the show was shortened to a half hour (and before Elmo the Musical segments were edited).

But the DVD does have an Elmo the Musical segment. I don't really know off-hand if it's edited (though I did see it on television, I think when it premiered). I'll have to watch the DVD and time the segment to see it's length.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just saw that Once Upon a Sesame Christmas will be released on October 10.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently got the Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas DVD. The special was good. Interestingly, when new DVDs are announced, we get to see the cover and full info on the bonus features within days of the announcement, but with this release, they didn't announce the features until closer to the release date.

I had thought that Christmas Eve on Sesame Street would make a good bonus feature on this (even though I already have the special), but the bonus special/video is A Sesame Street Christmas Carol, which in thinking about it is a better choice, as it includes clips from most of the previous Christmas specials (and it's the only one I had not seen, not counting that Christmas concert thing).

In video news, it's been announced that the next release will be The Best of Elmo 4, coming February 13. And for once, I actually don't care so much about knowing what will be included this time. Don't really know off-hand what Elmo segments are left (not counting '80s/early-'90s segments), but I have a feeling that it'll contain street stories (I think the description mentions those), I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a showcase for Elmo's World (new or old) and Elmo: The Musical.

And since Warner Home Video got the Sesame Street license, I think we're currently at the longest gap between video releases (about four months), unless there's an exclusive release coming out somewhere that's not announced (a number of initial Target/Wal-Mart exclusives weren't announced before their releases).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Can't believe I didn't report the news here sooner, but in March, there will be Love to Learn Vol. 2.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a new trend here, giving volume or sequel numbers to previous releases. We got Singing with the Stars 2 two years ago, and now we're getting Love to Learn Vol. 2, and of course there's going to be The Best of Elmo 4. I'd really like to see a "Best of Friends 2" (though I wouldn't be surprised if it just focused on the current "main 7").

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been a few months since the last release and still no news on any further releases. Makes me wonder if they're still going to put out releases.

If they stop now, I guess I'm not surprised. People often say that DVD is on its way out the door (but they've been saying that for years and we still get new DVDs), and I believe one of the reasons the HBO deal began was because video sales had dropped (actually I think they said merchandise sales, can't remember if they ever specifically said physical video sales). Of course I haven't heard about any new digital releases (if Sesame Workshop wanted to go that route).

Maybe it depends on Sesame Workshop's contract with Warner Home Video, I don't think it was ever said how long it would last (and I think all videos deals ended just because the companies went out of business). If a home video deal did end and they didn't go with another company, would there be an announcement (it seems we only know about the past deals ending because they started new deals, as well as the old companies ending the video business)? And there have been quite a few things in the past year that seem like awesome stuff to put on video (not to mention the 50th anniversary coming up soon).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, after all these months of no new announcements, there's finally going to be a new Sesame Street DVD, Elmo's World: Elmo Explores. And according to Amazon (which I checked after seeing it pointed out in editing history at Muppet Wiki), it'll be released by Shout! Factory, though I haven't seen any official announcements that Shout! has the Sesame license.

If this wasn't a mistake, then I guess we should start a new thread for Shout! getting the license (though I'd like to see an article or something on the subject first). I guess one of us could contact Shout! (they usually answer fan posts on Facebook). All previous home video deals ended when the video companies ended, but I assume Warner Home Video is still active. With Shout's releases often being for collectors (even if this Elmo's World release obviously isn't), it could be good for the fans. Maybe we'll finally get Old School Volume 4 or some other releases for adult fans, maybe they'll be able to clear things that haven't been cleared on home video before (of course the last few new releases I've seen do contain the theme song).