I sure do miss Sesame Street of the 90s

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
Ive been thinking. With all the major changes to the show recently, I was thinking how great the show was in the 90s. Right from the start of the decade until late 1998 were some fantastic years. Sure the 70s were great cause the show was fresh and new and had sonme amazing memorable bits. And the 80s were unique as well. Lots was changing for the show during the 80s but it still stayed true to it's roots. Why I like the 90s so much is because it was starting to break away from its roots but at the same time kept elements of the old days around. There was still lots of classic inserts being shown. While we were being introduced to newer modern ones to fit the times. The whole baby bear and goldilocks storylines were great as were ones with the furry arms hotel. However they didn't make this new stuff the total focus. We still got plenty of big Bird and oscar plots. And characters like the count herry biff sully and mumford still managed to have a place on the show. I just wish things could have stayed the same on sesame street as they were in the 90s.

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
Same. While the 80s were my years for being in the age group for the show, I liked the 90s a lot too. Pretty unique times as we got to see a lot of unique stuff unique changes during that whole decade.

Luke kun

Reaction score
The 90s animated inserts were the best. Sally Cruikshank, Ken Brown and Lisa Crafts (F for Faces and AT especially), Karen Aqua, Merril Aldigheri, Rose Rosely, John R. Dilworth, John Mohiynan and Mort Todd, Jane Aaron, Mo Willems, Craig Bartlett, Buzzco Associates (following their 80s work), Klasky-Csupo, artistMike, and William Wegman made great inserts.

cjd874

Reaction score
In my opinion, the 1990s were pretty good for SS. The cast and puppeteers were very seasoned by this point (e.g. Bob McGrath and Caroll Spinney), and there was new talent as well (e.g. Annette Calud and Savion Glover). As mentioned, there was a good blend of modern cartoons and old-school sketches too: viewers were just as likely to see a Sally Cruikshank cartoon or a Wegman dog film as they were to see a classic Guy Smiley game show or a Super Grover segment. In other words, Sesame Street was still in the phase where entire families could watch together and adults could say, "OH! I remember seeing that one on TV when I was a kid!" It still had that multi-generational appeal, which I don't really think the show has as much of as before.

Plus, Gina was as hot as Kate Beckinsale vacationing in Miami Beach in the middle of July. :flirt: But that's my opinion. :smirk: :laugh:

Newsflash

Reaction score
The Alphabet Jungle is pretty much my favorite animation from the 90s. And the Slimey to the Moon arc was probably the best storyline in that decade.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Many people seem to rag on the 90's era, but honestly I enjoyed the around the corner sets and I also loved the various letters/numbers skits cartoons (including the leaves, fish in the ocean, CGI moon, spinning letters and paper crumpling segments).

My only beef is when some skits had additional music or sound effects. Some were pulled off well like Ernie pretending Bert's asleep, others were just unecessarry like the sound of Harvey Kneeslapper and his Fat blue victim running in "X marks the spot."

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The Alphabet Jungle is pretty much my favorite animation from the 90s. And the Slimey to the Moon arc was probably the best storyline in that decade.
ALPHABET JUNGLE WAS A FAVE OF MINE AS A KID. I loved the animation from Klaaky Cspuso..... Whatever it's called. And Slimey to the moon made season 29 awesome.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
*bump*
In my opinion, the 1990s were pretty good for SS. The cast and puppeteers were very seasoned by this point (e.g. Bob McGrath and Caroll Spinney), and there was new talent as well (e.g. Annette Calud and Savion Glover). As mentioned, there was a good blend of modern cartoons and old-school sketches too: viewers were just as likely to see a Sally Cruikshank cartoon or a Wegman dog film as they were to see a classic Guy Smiley game show or a Super Grover segment. In other words, Sesame Street was still in the phase where entire families could watch together and adults could say, "OH! I remember seeing that one on TV when I was a kid!" It still had that multi-generational appeal, which I don't really think the show has as much of as before.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Even though I wasn't born until 2001, my favorite era of SS has to be the mid 80's to the mid 90's.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The drinking game.

Take a drink everytime 90's stuff from Sesame Street is ragged on.