Beaker in progress

Bear Man

Reaction score
How is Sweedy going?
Look! Over there! It's a clumsy attempt to distract you so I can avoid answering your question!

In all seriousness, he's been put on the back burner. Trying to work out exactly how the original Chef's mouth was constructed is not as easy as I'd thought it would be, and since I'd be looking to make him from fleece-covered patterned foam rather than flocked foam latex, there was the added challenge of coming up with the right mix of foam types and densities so that his face would move properly. He's still the next muppet I plan on replicating, but all that foam was getting very expensive!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Look! Over there! It's a clumsy attempt to distract you so I can avoid answering your question!

In all seriousness, he's been put on the back burner. Trying to work out exactly how the original Chef's mouth was constructed is not as easy as I'd thought it would be, and since I'd be looking to make him from fleece-covered patterned foam rather than flocked foam latex, there was the added challenge of coming up with the right mix of foam types and densities so that his face would move properly. He's still the next muppet I plan on replicating, but all that foam was getting very expensive!
So, nothing cookin' ! :hungry: I guess that is why there is no Swedish Chef replicas around (that I know of). But I am sure you can do it, and look forward to one day seeing the finished product. Bunsen has the same style mouth. Maybe ditch the foam and look for a rubber basket ball as the skull. You could then make a slit mouth that would open and close. You would have to make an internal sleeve/grip to operate it. Then you have to find some kind of flexible fleece. Also, you would have to glue wadding onto the head to change the round shape.

Last edited:

Bear Man

Reaction score
So, nothing cookin' ! :hungry: I guess that is why there is no Swedish Chef replicas around (that I know of). But I am sure you can do it, and look forward to one day seeing the finished product. Bunsen has the same style mouth. Maybe ditch the foam and look for a rubber basket ball as the skull. You could then make a slit mouth that would open and close. You would have to make an internal sleeve/grip to operate it. Then you have to find some kind of flexible fleece. Also, you would have to glue wadding onto the head to change the round shape.
The problem is getting the right parts of the skull to flex - the chef's mouth looks like it moves from almost a horizontal slit to a diamond shape. As soon as you add his big lower lip, though, that reinforces the lower lip as a straight line and the mouth no longer wants to flex that way. Still, I'm reasonably sure I've thought through the solution, and with a combination of improved internal supports, a variety of foam types and a completely foam mouth plate, I'd be surprised if my solution failed. Now all I've gotta do is find the time to build it!

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I just wanted to show everybody one of my replicas. This is one character nobody else has made, it's Herry Monster.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I might build Dr Teeth :big_grin: Bunsen :confused: and Beaker:eek: replicas soon. I'm currently finishing some Avenue Q replicas and at some point I will make the fraggles too :smirk::excited::dreamy::coy::sigh: since that's probably my favorite Jim Henson show.