Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I want to make it clear that I have the upmost faith in Matt, and that he will do and do a great job with Kermit. It's just not his time, and Steve should still be the man who is behind the frog. I don't want peole to think I don't support Matt because I do it's just not his time.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Boy, now I feel a little bad about being really angry earlier. That last letter addressing the fans has a point, what Matt needs it support from us fans and we need to thank Steve for his time with the Muppets. I think he understood why we were angry and upset about it, but we probably shouldn't be angry forever. Granted, it'll take lots of time to adjust, but Steve, Matt or any of the other performers wouldn't want us to be angry for long.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
My parents thought Steve was just retiring, and then I told them about Disney's decision on this, and they were pretty surprised. My sister and I told them it had nothing to do with Steve getting "too old" to Muppeteer, because if that were the case, then Dave Goelz would have to go along with Steve (don't get any ideas, Disney!) I don't know if we'll ever know the truth. Even though I'm disappointed, I hope Matt Vogel does a good job.

BertsNose

Reaction score
I have no words. No words at all. I am utterly without speech. I really liked Steve's interpretation of Kermit. I guess you could say I grew up with his Kermit without realizing it as I wasn't born when Jim Henson died. But I remember seeing Jim's Kermit on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and Put Down the Duckie on VHS. I like Jim's Kermit too. Kermit is big flippers to fill and Steve filled them really well. It hurts my heart that he won't be performing Kermit anymore. Kermit has always been one of my favorite Muppets. I'm sure Matt Vogel will do a good job and I find it kind of funny that he is now Kermit since he played his evil counterpart Constantine in Muppets Most Wanted. Also the fact that Disney fired him makes me want to throw something. I know we shouldn't be angry forever but nothing about this is ok. I haven't finished reading the entire thread yet so I guess I missed a lot of conversation though I have already known about Steve for a few days now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My sister and I told them it had nothing to do with Steve getting "too old" to Muppeteer, because if that were the case, then Dave Goelz would have to go along with Steve
Dave, what about Caroll? What about Jerry? Both of them probably would have been dropped looong before now.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Boy, now I feel a little bad about being really angry earlier. That last letter addressing the fans has a point, what Matt needs it support from us fans and we need to thank Steve for his time with the Muppets. I think he understood why we were angry and upset about it, but we probably shouldn't be angry forever. Granted, it'll take lots of time to adjust, but Steve, Matt or any of the other performers wouldn't want us to be angry for long.
No, you weren't wrong to be mad at Disney. Disney made a stupid decision. But we should step away from all the angry ranting a bit, and we need to support the performers that are still there and trust that they know what they're doing.

Last edited:

TheWoodringman

Reaction score
I hate this news....I guess I'll only watch Sesame Street!
(I sort of think Disney should sell The Muppets back to Henson, but since that won't happen, I guess I won't watch any future muppet projects)

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Did Disney actually fire him or is that still a rumour?
According to Steve, Disney called and him and said "they were recasting".. take that info as you will, I suppose.

Sesame is a whole other story for me - I haven't liked how it's been run for quite a while now, bordering a decade now (2009 or so), nor do I really keep up with it. Sesame isn't really for my demographic, but Jim and his team always found a way to make it enjoyable (and going back to watch the stuff before Jim's passing is always a blast).. not sure exactly what's changed, but I'm just not a fan anymore.. and it's definitely not me "getting older", as I still love Blue's Clues.. :stick_out_tongue:

Whatever, getting off topic.. I kinda wonder if perhaps Steve will do some stuff for JHC, a similar vein as Kevin Clash.. guess time will tell.