Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It always takes a while for us to get used to the recasts, but the thing of it is, after quite a bit of time passes, you do get used to it. Took me a few years to get used to Eric's Grover, Bert, and Fozzie, and David's Cookie, but now I'm so used to them that it seems unusual to hear Frank's versions now.

Matt's Count isn't Jerry's Count, that's true, but I've just accepted the fact that Jerry is sadly no longer with us, and Jerry's voice was truly a unique one, so nobody is going to sound just like him. Still, I think Matt has done a great job with Jerry's characters so found.

As for David as Scooter, admittedly, David's vocal range is rather limited, and most of his voices sound like a variation of Baby Bear - that's kind of what Scooter sounds like right now, Baby Bear without the speech impediment.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Apparently, it's being delayed until Thursday.
Thanks for that info, Mo. I asked about that before and no one answered, but I guess I can understand that with all that's been going on. I will check out that
Bert and Ernie video when I get a chance. I'm surprised that they did recast Ernie after they already did recast him recently. Poor Billy, only got two seasons of SS. :frown: Or was it three? It's hard to keep track.

As for David as Scooter, admittedly, David's vocal range is rather limited, and most of his voices sound like a variation of Baby Bear - that's kind of what Scooter sounds like right now, Baby Bear without the speech impediment.
Yeah. I know what you mean. His Janice seemed to always lack the valley girl tone that Richard had given her for many years. (Though he did get a few 'fer sure's' in here and there.)

CBPuppets

Reaction score
The only thing that puzzles me if why would Cheryl say all the stuff just now (I do believe she's a good person don't get me wrong) if you take into consideration that Steve's been doing Kermit for 27 years? Why now?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
[VIDEO OF AGT with ARTIE AS KERMIT]

"It's official, Artie Esposito is now Kermit."

This could very well be a one-time thing. Let's not jump to conclusions.
Yeah, that's true. It's kind of easy to lose you're mind with all that's been going on, so we'll see. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to a more experienced performer like Peter taking over Ernie.

gravy

Reaction score
The only thing that puzzles me if why would Cheryl say all the stuff just now (I do believe she's a good person don't get me wrong) if you take into consideration that Steve's been doing Kermit for 27 years? Why now?
Right. She acts like now that Steve left she can criticize him knowing he's not on Facebook.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
As Jim's DAUGHTER and part of running her father's company (which, ya' know, Steve was initially doing Kermit for), I think she is certainly entitled to an opinion of Steve and the legacy of her father's signature character and legacy. She also has the right to say that Steve may have been putting words in her father's mouth, whether it may be true or not.

Luke

Reaction score
Exactly. Kermit was only bitter and depressed BECAUSE OF HOW HE WAS WRITTEN BY PEOPLE WHO CLEARLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE CHARACTER!
Only to a certain extent. All kinds of emphasis or interpretations can be put on words, that'd why in animation they get the voice actors to do the lines in lots of different styles. But then if Steve (or whoever) is given something so far out of character (Kermit lying etc) there's no way he can save that.

I think we might find that Cheryl probably doesn't like the interpretations of the Muppets at all since Jim died. There's so many people involved in a performance - producers, directors, writers you can't really fault any specific person. There seems to be a lot of internal politics and maybe even cliques between them all given some have come from the Henson days, others brought in from non-puppet sitcom or film backgrounds. Maybe it does just all need a total reset or re-think to again put behind them just a really core, close-knit production and performing team.

I read elsewhere and agree that the person who has really nailed things with the Muppets has been Kirk Thatcher, We'll forgive him for Wizard of Oz but his virals have been awesome and well received - they really do show the IMO right representation of the classic characters but also a good feel for today's audiences. I'd add Matt Vogel too - no disrespect to Steve but I can see why Disney felt Kermit would be safe in his hands, everything he has done has been wonderful and put so much life, energy and love into the characters he has performed thus far.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, that's true. It's kind of easy to lose you're mind with all that's been going on, so we'll see.
This was based more on things I've been hearing from other people with connections to Sesame in the past few weeks, as opposed to "losing my mind," actually. But I know how everyone (myself included) feels about rumors that have no 'official' source.

Basically what I've HEARD is that Billy was indeed let go recently. But let's emphasize the HEARD part for now.

:embarrassed:: "Heard? Heard of cows?"

Luke

Reaction score
Peter Linz does Ernie in this vid.

(Edited to keep people off my back)
I have always loved Peter Linz work, think they are all on top form here - Ryan is an absolute superstar as Elmo and Matt as Count.

I do agree with Steve that it's not just the voice, it's knowing the history and the psyche but thankfully a lot of those who have become Muppet performers were actually hardcore fans

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
As Jim's DAUGHTER and part of running her father's company (which, ya' know, Steve was initially doing Kermit for), I think she is certainly entitled to an opinion of Steve and the legacy of her father's signature character and legacy. She also has the right to say that Steve may have been putting words in her father's mouth, whether it may be true or not.
Everybody's entitled to an opinion. That doesn't mean it should be voiced in a public forum. That is unprofessional, especially when the person being criticized has been part of the working family for almost 40 years.