Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Whataday

Reaction score
I want to say something but am scared of getting some sort of backlash.

Basically, the impression I've always had of the Jim Henson days was that they were all into stuff like marijuana and it was a very VERY easy going work environment. Hope that makes sense.... Just MY opinion, not stating anything as fact.

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Steve was a part of that culture too - and I may be completely wrong - this is complete speculation, but if my perception is true, the behaviour that has been outlined (paranoia, wanting to be in full control) is a classic symptom of it.

I'm not judging but that sort of behaviour would clash with the culture in a corporate environment.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I know it was the 70s but Lew Grade would have taken the Muppets off air if that had happened
I want to say something but am scared of getting some sort of backlash.

Basically, the impression I've always had of the Jim Henson days was that they were all into stuff like marijuana and it was a very VERY easy going work environment. Hope that makes sense.... Just MY opinion, not stating anything as fact.

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Steve was a part of that culture too - and I may be completely wrong - this is complete speculation, but if my perception is true, the behaviour that has been outlined (paranoia, wanting to be in full control) is a classic symptom of it.

I'm not judging but that sort of behaviour would clash with the culture in a corporate environment.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
Like someone else said, even if they have no plans for The Muppets right now, they have to recast Kermit no matter what.

I'm still thinking about their future even with the recast and how changing Kermit's character is somehow going to help. I still have that worry inside that they're gonna change him into a one-dimensional nice guy and nothing else, but again I can't say anything until we get Matt's first performance as Kermit...whenever that will be.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
What worries me is that Whitmire was in charge of Kermit for well over a decade before Disney came along and he had SOME authority over the character by then. Matt doesn't have the experience and clout to say anything to Disney about how the character is handled.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Basically, the impression I've always had of the Jim Henson days was that they were all into stuff like marijuana and it was a very VERY easy going work environment.
Jerry and Richard occasionally smoked doobies, but Jim himself tried LSD approximately once: and apparently, absolutely nothing happened, it had no effect on him whatsoever.

Jim, by his very nature, was just a very easygoing man, and that's the way he liked to do things.
Matt doesn't have the experience and clout to say anything to Disney about how the character is handled.
I don't know, he's been moving up in the ranks with both SST and the Classic Muppets for the past several years or so.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Just to add something civil to the conversation, for those wondering about Dave Goelz's overall take on Steve's performance of Kermit, here is an interview from a few years ago where he broaches the subject.