Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
We're too far from Jim's Kermit to ever get back to that ever again. I'm done expecting anything remotely like the Kermit I grew up with. Although Steve was Kermit for 26 years I can't say I ever warmed up to his portrayal. And the more time passed the more I was getting tired of his Kermit.

So bring on Matt's take on Kermit. And let's see if Eric can bring Fozzie out of the slump he's been in the past few years while we're at it.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
Yeah, me too.

It kinda hit me this morning just how much I'm lacking in enthusiasm for future Muppet projects. If Disney were to announce a new movie tomorrow, I would just yawn in response. I'd still go and see it and join in with the fan speculation, but the hype just wouldn't be there for me.

The most exciting Muppet-related thing happening this year unless you have tickets to the Bowl is that Phantom of the Opera book. Let's face it, the only interesting part about this year was finding out about last October. The year has been boring because of last October.

Until I'm proven wrong, and hopefully I will be soon, I can't be enthusiastic about the Muppets without Steve. Most of you will think I'm being stupid, but I'm simply being honest with myself and everyone here.

EDIT: That certainly doesn't mean that I'm going to stop supporting the franchise. I've made it quite clear on several occasions.
Yeah exactly. I've been having that feeling too for a while.

I don't want to stop supporting the franchise either, and I'm glad they're gonna do the Hollywood Bowl. But that's really it for them this year right??

I mean it would be awesome if they announced a new movie or Netflix show tomorrow, but not until I see Matt's performance of Kermit.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Whitmire wasn't the be-all, end-all Muppet performer. And he DEFINITELY wasn't Jim. The franchise will survive without him.
I suppose that's true, but you have to understand it from my point of view to see where I'm coming from. For me, Steve being gone means there is currently a gaping hole in the scheme of things. Until we finally have all the recasting done and out in the open, there's no way for me to know whether or not I can move forward.

I probably will accept things as they are going to be, I just need a little more time, that's all. I think we all do.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I think what some people have to realize is that outside of there being Muppet fans, there are also fans Muppeteers (is that a word?). Steve has fans in his own right, beyond just being Muppet fans, there are fans of Steve.

Of course, if Steve really is the d**k some say he is, that means that his fans will need to understand he's not the greatest person in history, just another man who happens to do stuff with Muppets.

Still, we have yet to see the true state of affairs, all we've seen yet are two different sides and the line between them is spread out wide.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Of course, if Steve really is the d**k some say he is, that means that his fans will need to understand he's not the greatest person in history, just another man who happens to do stuff with Muppets.
That really is one of the biggest questions in all of this, isn't it? One I've been trying to answer. I've been talking to people who know Steve quite well and I have not heard one negative thing about him or in favour of the accusations made against him.

That fact remains that both the Henson Company, and then Disney had 27 years between them to work out any outstanding issues. That's a very long stretch of time to hang onto someone who was apparently a huge pain in the neck once he walked off the set for the day.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
That really is one of the biggest questions in all of this, isn't it? One I've been trying to answer. I've been talking to people who know Steve quite well and I have not heard one negative thing about him or in favour of the accusations made against him.

That fact remains that both the Henson Company, and then Disney had 27 years between them to work out any outstanding issues. That's a very long stretch of time to hang onto someone who was apparently a huge pain in the neck once he walked off the set for the day.
Yeah I mean..for them to keep him this long and claiming they wanted to fire him years ago still confuses me.

I know we'll never know the true story, but honestly..what exactly happened that finally made them snap?

I know he said they were supposed to be ready for a huge project and that they were gonna make him a Creative Director or Executive. Which would of been amazing for him. Maybe they saw if that happened he'd have too much power then? Again, these are questions we'll never have answered.

AfricAnimalAZ

Reaction score
(I’m sort of catching up in this thread without reading all of it. Sincere apologies).

I’m sure at some point in our lives, we’ve all heard that everything happens for a reason. What happened in this case might not be any different – at least that’s how I want to believe it. We don’t all have to concur. Now, before anyone distorts my words, I’ll let it be known that I’m on Steve’s side. Even now, after almost a month, it’s difficult for me to not feel upset, depressed, or even confused at least once everyday thinking about it. With that, I find it impossible to rid my mind of such thoughts. I agree with some of you – if there really was any ‘unacceptable business conduct’, why did it persist for so long only to be stopped in its tracks last October?

All debate aside, I need to admit – whatever it is the Muppets do next, I’m not sure how I’ll feel about it. I could be indifferent, or I could become less and less passionate about them down the line (maybe up to a point where I don’t follow them anymore). I’m not saying I’m one of those people who clings to the past and won’t move on, however, it’s already hard for me just to think about the Muppets without Steve. Watching them without him? It’s unimaginable, especially since he’s my favorite performer. The way I see it, in his place there will forever be an emptiness which cannot be filled (or maybe not shall he return, I hope). To those who share the same sentiment, think of a fish being deprived of water. True, he wasn’t with Jim and the rest of the group since the very beginning, but I think they only got better once he stepped in. Perhaps, it may take longer for me to adapt. I don’t even know if/when I’ll be able to. Until then, I’ll continue to look for reassurance in the ‘Muppet Pundit’ blog. Hopefully I can give some back to Steve one day when I comment.

Going back to what I said about things happening for a reason, let me clarify by saying that things can happen for both bad and good reasons. An event that initially seems devastating on one end could have a positive outcome on the other. Have any of you ever considered that in Steve’s case? Neither we nor him may know it yet, but he could be going on to tackle bigger and better things. He’s already made an effort to connect with us via his blog. Let’s hope that, while he continues to spread his word virtually, he resurfaces physically as well. And, as much as I like the Muppets, it doesn’t necessarily have to be through them that he comes back. It’s enough that he comes back in general - be it in a new TV series, a YouTube channel, etc. I’d personally love for him to make appearances here and there again (at workshops and cons) , if it’s possible. If you ask me, he doesn’t even need a reason to make appearances. Anyway, I think what I’m trying to convey is that, while I’m still sad about Steve’s departure, I don’t overlook the potential opportunities that it may have opened up for him. For all we know, it’s a blessing in disguise.

Again, please forgive me for rambling. People who read this, what I want you to take from it is that there may be a desirable end result to come. Provide your mind some consolation, try to relieve it if possible of any tension(s), and remember from time to time that Steve can’t/won’t be gone very long. He just needs time to think things through, so let’s (us loyal fans) help and support him in whatever ways we can. Hope (maybe even pray) that he’s out doing what he does best, what he’s dedicated most of his life to, what we respect and appreciate him for, once again in the near future. All the best for a puppeteer, an artist, an inspirational being, and a friend.

*Quick, slightly irrelevant, and weird comment: Within the first two weeks of the ‘firing’ news breaking, there was a ‘war of words’ (mostly from one side) – the various accusations, harsh statements, and other stuff. I have to say, though I don’t know from first-hand experience, it felt like I was in a sense in the middle of a “lion vs. hyena” conflict. I’m sure Disney isn’t unfamiliar with that…well, that was more so “lion vs. lion”, but hopefully, you understand what I’m referring to. Nonetheless, countless thanks for your time and attention.

Peace.