Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how Jim Henson's kids have been talking about Steve Whitmire having these kinds of issues before his termination, something they (and other people who have worked with Whitmire) hadn't publicly said before, and I can't help but wonder if Disney has forced/blackmailed them into saying this stuff about him. Maybe "blackmail" is the wrong word here.

I know that Henson and Disney usually work together when the two need to, particularly when one company needs the other's approval to include certain things, such as when there's a Jim Henson biography, documentary, or exhibit, and of course Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas is getting a new DVD release with Kermit included after all these years. Of course Henson also has most of the pre-2004 physical Muppet items in storage.

gravy

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how Jim Henson's kids have been talking about Steve Whitmire having these kinds of issues before his termination, something they (and other people who have worked with Whitmire) hadn't publicly said before, and I can't help but wonder if Disney has forced/blackmailed them into saying this stuff about him. Maybe "blackmail" is the wrong word here.
I'm not sure... They sounded sincere about their thoughts (except Cheryl's Facebook post, I still haven't gotten over that.)

Randall Flagg

Reaction score

I know that Henson and Disney usually work together when the two need to, particularly when one company needs the other's approval to include certain things, such as when there's a Jim Henson biography, documentary, or exhibit, and of course Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas is getting a new DVD release with Kermit included after all these years. Of course Henson also has most of the pre-2004 physical Muppet items in storage.
I really doubt it. As I said before, I think it's much more likely that the Hensons had issues with Steve for a while, but kept quiet because he was still employed by the Muppets. Aftet he got fired, they may have continued to keep quiet, but when they saw all the fans attacking Disney and acting lile Steve was a saint, they felt the need to speak up and essentially say, "Hey, wait a second... you guys are getting the wrong impression about what just happened." Of course, this is just speculation on my part, but it seems more reasonable than some big black-mail conspiracy and cover-up.