Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I don't know if it's been discussed here (there's so many posts to go through), but I've been thinking about Vogel taking over as Kermit, I wondered if he felt right doing so after how Whitmire was fired, there's a discussion threat at Tough Pigs started by somebody who is disappointed in Vogel over this, but today I started wondering if he knew Whitmire was actually fired at the time he agreed to take over as Kermit. When Whitmire's departure was first announced publicly, it was said that he'd retired, before we learned the truth, and Whitmire said in his Today interview that Disney wanted him to sign a form that stated he retired. Could it be that Vogel thought he left on his own but now doesn't want to take over as Kermit (and could that have a part in that Muppet Thought of the Week video being delayed)?
That's very possible. But if Disney does want him to take over, it will have to happen sooner or later.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Should Kermit have been kept silent too?
No, Kermit should not have stayed silent!

You make this out to be like anyone at anytime could and should be able to pick up A kermit puppet and preform him for anything! Which has been the mindset Disney has had since they bought the Muppets back in 2004. That is what Steve, and the other prefomers have been fighting for. Because with this multi casting it dose not help the characters evolve and grow and keep there integrity.

Please, read my blog post
https://themuppetmovement.wordpress.com/2017/08/12/thoughts-on-the-components-of-the-muppets/

We fans need to understand what is truly at stake here.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Besides, I've heard that the majority of Steve's characters (Statler, Rizzo, Beaker, Link, Lips, Newsman, etc.) are being taken over by Peter Linz. And whenever they decide to bring back Bean, I bet they'd give him to Linz as well.
If true, it makes sense. From day one, I figured Peter would at least take over Rizzo (his vocal range is perfect for the character), and I am sure he could pull off the rest of the characters listed. He is a very talented puppeteer with very few characters, so it's nice to see Disney putting his talent to use.

Censored

Reaction score
No, Kermit should not have stayed silent!

You make this out to be like anyone at anytime could and should be able to pick up A kermit puppet and preform him for anything!

Well, that would make a case for Kermit staying silent. Do I think that would have been a good idea? No, but if there was a case for Rowlf The Dog, Wembley, and all the characters of Richard, and Jerry, and now Steve remaining silent, where do you draw the line?

As I’ve said before, it’s not that anyone can perform Kermit, but as an established character, it’s more about following in the footsteps of Jim instead of trying to invent the character all over again. To me, that is keeping with the integrity of the characters.

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Little late on this, but figured I'd put my thoughts in anyways.

Wembley is a really hard character to truly replicate/recreate, in my opinion... Steve really found a fine line between (in terms of voice, anyway) overly raspy/squeaky, and and almost a childlike sense of whimsy and indecisiveness, which lent itself to a higher voice. To try and redraw that line between the two with another performer, regardless of how talented, will create a hard challenge.

As someone who's attempted (and failed, for the most part) to perform Wembley on seeral ocassions (videos are still on MC in the Fraggle forum, if anyone's interested; they're outdated, but meh), I can verify (at least for me) how difficult finding that line can be. Just a fans perspective on his favorite Henson created character, I suppose. :stick_out_tongue:

I've heard Clash performed him in late 2016, actually, so take that as you will (during a celebration for Dave Goelz).
If your Wembley impression is as good as the one I had while reading your post... :stick_out_tongue:

Also I didn't even intend to start a discussion on Wembley, wow, that's so cool, me! :stick_out_tongue:

Rugratskid

Reaction score
If your Wembley impression is as good as the one I had while reading your post... :stick_out_tongue:
Judge as you please.. did this in May, while fighting a bad cold, and as such, it's outdated in almost every way, lol.

Kermit is an imperative character to The Muppets, and, as much as I found Steve's interpretation of Kermit to be okay, I really feel it's in the best interest of the character to revert somewhat to Jim's original vision.. just my fan preference though, and nothing against Steve.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Judge as you please.. did this in May, while fighting a bad cold, and as such, it's outdated in almost every way, lol.
I'm impressed TBH. There were a couple patches that weren't as good but for the most part you did a pretty great job. If I were a critic I'd dish out a good 7 or 8/10. I don't think you give yourself enough credit.

Powerstars

Reaction score
Well, that would make a case for Kermit staying silent. Do I think that would have been a good idea? No, but if there was a case for Rowlf The Dog, Wembley, and all the characters of Richard, and Jerry, and now Steve remaining silent, where do you draw the line?

As I’ve said before, it’s not that anyone can perform Kermit, but as an established character, it’s more about following in the footsteps of Jim instead of trying to invent the character all over again. To me, that is keeping with the integrity of the characters.
I feel like there's a big difference in a character being recast because the person who originated that character passed away and a character being recast because the person who originated that character was fired.