What sketches scared you as a kid?

WaiterGrover

Reaction score
First of all, Hi... or should I say, "Hello Everybodeeeee!"- First post.
I've read the entire thread, and there's tons of stuff I agree with; the BDM/"B" sound sketch had scared me so bad I'd blocked it out completely- I didn't even remember it, seeing it on YouTube, until right when BDM starts breathing in... when he turned to the camera, some corner of my brain relived the frozen terror I must've felt at 3 or 4. Willie Whimple didn't frighten me, but it did make feel sad and horrible. The Pyramid sketch always spooked me at first, but by the time pharaoh-Ernie was dancing, I was fine.

The armless baby/danger cartoon freaked me out, as did the creepy "V" animation (violin...valentine...etc.). The part where the Viking ship's head snaps off bothered the heck out of me. "The Six Dollar Man" bit would make me run out of the room- the head coming off, and mindless jerking around/lab destruction while the scientist cackles away... SAM the robot, Ernie's zombie eyes... there's plenty more that others have already mentioned.

The one that I was really surprised that NOBODY's mentioned yet was the New Flash with Pinocchio! GAWD did that freak me out... even though as a toddler I had no way of knowing his head was pressed against the wall for the broomstick to go through it, it just looked WRONG, and when Kermit's outside, and you hear Pinocchio's distant voice lying and lying and getting higher and higher? *shiver*

I also voice my solidarity with the poster who would get furious at the adults NEVER seeing Snuffy; I'm an "old-schooler" myself, so I was a little bitter when I heard they FINALLY put and end to that, heh.

Oh yeah- not Muppet-related, but "Interplanet Janet" from Schoolhouse Rock used to upset me, simply because she was a human head and some angel wings grafted onto a rocket. Too much blurring of alive/not alive for my toddler brain... Ah well- that's it for now, see you at the therapist's office ;-)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Hello WaiterGrover! And welcome to repressed memories thread! Just kidding... Sort of.:stick_out_tongue: :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can't believe I never mentioned this! There was one time when Big Bird wanted to spend time with Maria, but she was too busy asnswering phones and doing work. Big Bird is sad and ends up writing a story about a bird superhero (Blue Bird I think) who stops the villian (played by Maria) by burying her in telephones. I just remember Blue Bird being kinda scary looking, all serious and fierce, lol.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Those "Snuffy sighting gone wrong" incidents may not have frightened me as a girl, but they always made me feel sorry for Big Bird. The one where Snuffy wore the striped pajamas (and got the adults confused about his appearance) still stands out in my mind; did anybody else see that as a kid?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I never thought the joke was funny when ever I see it. I feel sorry for him too. It just kind of frustrating to me...

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Those "Snuffy sighting gone wrong" incidents may not have frightened me as a girl, but they always made me feel sorry for Big Bird. The one where Snuffy wore the striped pajamas (and got the adults confused about his appearance) still stands out in my mind; did anybody else see that as a kid?
It was always unfortunate when the grownups kept missing snuffy.

THere was no logic to it.
But If you're referring to the 1 were Snuffy sleeps over and sleepwalks
He probably looked like a ghost to eveyone and Bob reaction was really funny.

Redsonga

Reaction score
THere was no logic to it.
There was, he was suppose to help little ones deal with the issue of having an imaginary friend..but I think it went wrong :frown:.

wwfpooh

Reaction score

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Agreed, it's more upsetting and frustrating than anything else. Plus to me it makes Sesame Street seem more, I don't know, fantasy. Even though Snuffy was real, having him be a big mysterious secret to me contradicted the educational and realistic purpose of the show.

WaiterGrover

Reaction score
The "Snuffy " thread that will never die

Let me just reiterate that YES, I was one those "old-schoolers" frustrated no end by the "unreality" of Mr. Snuffleupagus.
1) I felt bad for Big Bird.
2) If "I" could see him, describe what he looked like, sounded like, etc., though he was on a TV screeen, he was REAL, the same way Big Bird, Oscar, Kermit, Grover, or any of the human cast were REAL to me. In retrospect, SURE it's important to acknowledge the existence and importance of imaginary friends; I would NEVER judge a child as being "less than" for having one... but the only lesson that sank in from those segments for me was "reality and perceived reality are shaky concepts at best; Good Luck, kiddo!" In other words- "I" saw + heard Snuffy; Big Bird did too; but NObody else on Sesame Street ever could? This ****** me off. The overall lesson seemed to be, "Life is unfair. kid- and nobody really knows why, it just is; get used to it." True enough for adults, but YOWCH, that particular life-lesson
could've waited awhile...