Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Before a heated debate gets started again...

Disney is NOT out to get Steve
Hensons are NOT out to get Steve
Steve is NOT out to get Disney
Steve is NOT out to get the Hensons

Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't mean they are wrong. People are allowed to dislike Steve, and people are allowed to dislike Disney.

Let's not go starting rumors and flamewars.

Whataday

Reaction score
Before a heated debate gets started again...

Disney is NOT out to get Steve
Hensons are NOT out to get Steve
Steve is NOT out to get Disney
Steve is NOT out to get the Hensons

Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't mean they are wrong. People are allowed to dislike Steve, and people are allowed to dislike Disney.
A discussion only becomes a heated debate as a result of how it's said, not what is said. It's perfectly reasonable to question the motives of the Hensons for getting so involved. It's also interesting to consider how Disney felt the need to consult them on this decision when they have not played a part in any creative decisions for the best part of a decade.

I work in PR and I get the vibe that there has been some orchestration with the Hensons to defend Disney's decision. That doesn't mean it wasn't justified, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of strategy planned whereby the Hensons agreed to comment once the news went public. It's not like they've mentioned it incidentally as part of an unrelated interview a long time after - they've given specific interviews and quotes to the media.

And in this game, such loyalty doesn't usually go unrewarded. Perhaps I am an old cynic, but I think it's a justified discussion to have.

Censored

Reaction score
A discussion only becomes a heated debate as a result of how it's said, not what is said. It's perfectly reasonable to question the motives of the Hensons for getting so involved. It's also interesting to consider how Disney felt the need to consult them on this decision when they have not played a part in any creative decisions for the best part of a decade.

I work in PR and I get the vibe that there has been some orchestration with the Hensons to defend Disney's decision. That doesn't mean it wasn't justified, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of strategy planned whereby the Hensons agreed to comment once the news went public. It's not like they've mentioned it incidentally as part of an unrelated interview a long time after - they've given specific interviews and quotes to the media.

And in this game, such loyalty doesn't usually go unrewarded. Perhaps I am an old cynic, but I think it's a justified discussion to have.
For that matter, I wonder what’s in it for Steve’s fans to defend the man as if he was God.

Censored

Reaction score

Neither Disney nor the Hensons wanted to mention it at all. Steve made it all public.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Neither Disney nor the Hensons wanted to mention it at all. Steve made it all public.
Steve didn't make it public. It went public as Disney saying he retired, then he came forward to say he didn't retire, they fired him.

Censored

Reaction score
Steve didn't make it public. It went public as Disney saying he retired, then he came forward to say he didn't retire, they fired him.
That’s what I meant. There would have been no statement against Steve by the Hensons or Disney if Steve had not publicly complained.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Oh my garsh, I forgot about Blarney! Lol. Speaking of Dinosaurs, they just put it on Hulu, so i'm gonna definitely watch that today. :smile:
If we're going by favorite Steve moments overall and not just Muppets:
SST: The sketch where Ernie sings "Wake Up", Steve's energy in this is just so infectious. Also the "Lights, Camera, Bert!" episode where his comedic timing is spot on as well as his chemistry with Eric. I also thought he was really funny in those Dr. Feel sketches.
Fraggle Rock: Basically any episode about Wembley, and all of the scenes with Doc and Sprocket.
Dinosaurs: The above mentioned Blarney cameo.
Muppets: Bean Bunny in Muppets Christmas Carol.
His performance as Kermit in The Muppets (2011) was really the first time I excepted him as not just an imitator of Jim.
Also, his performances as Kermit on the TV show. Now, I know the writing for him in it wasn't always great, but I feel like this was Steve at the top of his game. Kermit really felt like a real breathing actor in it. And the ways Kermit emoted, Steve's hand must've been getting contorted in all sorts of unnatural ways. It was amazing. He definitely deserved in Emmy.

Least favorite: Kermit's depression in that TV Christmas movie.
My favorite Steve moments are the following:
Sesame Street: His performance as Dr. Feel, a member of The Frosty Four in “Ernie and Bert’s Word Play”, and his performances as Ernie in “I Wonder”, his duet with Shawn Colvin in Elmopalooza and in the skit where Bert wants Ernie to be quiet and when Ernie starts barking like a dog, he slips into the bark he used for Sprocket! I think Steve realized it and quickly changed the bark.
Dinosaurs: As Mason-Dixon in the trial for Al ‘Sexual’ Harris as well as Blarney and Woody in the same episode “Into the Woods”. Can’t forget the son of the blues player in “Swamp Music”. Can’t get enough of Steve singing.
The Muppets: Kermit’s performance in “A Muppet Christmas Carol”. Also anytime Rizzo gets to shine. I like Rizzo, he’s not my favorite, but Steve’s performance of him makes it hilarious!
Fraggle Rock: Anytime Wembley gets to shine, be it in an episode or a song. I love Sprocket, too, especially when he imitates the Swedish Chef!

Least favorite: same as mentioned above