Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
True, but I just don't like to blame Steve on the personality change. It's not he's telling them he wants Kermit to be quote on quote "depressed".

Honestly to me, it's more like he was trying to make Kermit tired and stressed. I mean give the Frog a break, he's been dealing with these guys for 40+ years (even more than that), so as a leader character I can understand the stress Kermit has. Give him a break 2k17.

But anyway, it's just writers who don't understand Kermit's character or maybe Steve had a certain line but didn't know how to deliver it in a way that would come out right.

Also it's kind of important to change up a character. We were talking about in Fundamentals of Acting (for example), that when you're performing as a character from a piece of work, it's not your right to copy said character and be exactly like them. I never cared if Steve's performance wasn't like Jim's nor do I care if Matt's isn't either. So that's what I liked about it. Also there was some good character development and I want them to progress the character then starting backwards ya know.
As far as TM2015 goes, I always figured that Kermit's story arc was going to be finding himself again in a world that is so different from the way things were when he was running The Muppet Show. So I accepted his 'bitterness' because I honestly thought the writers were going to take him through a genuine process.

As for outside of the show, I never found Steve's performance of Kermit to be depressing. He was always fun in guest appearances and the like, and if Kermit was in fact annoyed or otherwise, it was generally justified.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I can imagine Kermit being a little more beat down in M15. On TMS, he was pretty much dealing with these crazies for the first time. Now, he's got 40+ years of dealing with them. He's naturally gonna be a little more weary of their antics.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
As far as TM2015 goes, I always figured that Kermit's story arc was going to be finding himself again in a world that is so different from the way things were when he was running The Muppet Show. So I accepted his 'bitterness' because I honestly thought the writers were going to take him through a genuine process.
Well, I guess they didn't want to reuse the same storyline from VMX though I have noticed both plots did seem quite similar.

Censored

Reaction score
True, but I just don't like to blame Steve on the personality change. It's not he's telling them he wants Kermit to be quote on quote "depressed".

Honestly to me, it's more like he was trying to make Kermit tired and stressed. I mean give the Frog a break, he's been dealing with these guys for 40+ years (even more than that), so as a leader character I can understand the stress Kermit has. Give him a break 2k17.
I always thought the cool thing about Muppets is that they don't get burnt out like people.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
It's pretty interesting how Peter linz Took over Robin but I'm curious to Here Eric's performance as the Newsman

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
It's pretty interesting how Peter linz Took over Robin but I'm curious to Here Eric's performance as the Newsman
He did perform The Newsman during the Hollywood Bowl and there was a clip but I couldn't find anywhere.

It's okay, but it's basically Guy Smiley.

I'm not a fan of Peter's Robin because it kind of sounded like Robin had a bad cold or was going through puberty lol.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
An excerpt from an interview with Frank Oz:
The recent blowup over Steve Whitmire being replaced as Kermit has made me wonder, as somebody who grew up with the Muppets and loves them, whether the Muppets can really continue without the people who created them. Should the characters evolve in different directions? Do you feel that’s even possible?

With Stevie it’s so sad, because the situation with Stevie was a pure business situation, as I understand it. I’d worked with Stevie since he was 18 years old, and on the floor he’s terrific. We had a lot of fun. So when he’s actually on the floor — I think it was something outside that. And it’s very sad.