And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Don't let it become about the flag.
My question is, why do we play the national anthem or raise the flag during a football game at all? I can understand at a military funeral or something similar. But a football game? With people sitting around guzzling beer and players suffering brain damage for money? How is that respectful in the first place?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Saying it all just sucks is an easier path to go
For me it's quite difficult feeling so isolated from...everyone.

He just relocated many of the folks out of the city.
Fair enough, it's not that I idolize the guy, believe me, lol. I know it seems like I'm just complaining but it's important not to get complicit. I mean like this New York Times article that outlines the problems with de Blasio's plan. Yes, it is a form of complaining, but it is also keeping politicians honest: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/22/nyregion/nyc-homeless-shelter-maps.html

jvcarroll

Reaction score
For me it's quite difficult feeling so isolated from...everyone.

Fair enough, it's not that I idolize the guy, believe me, lol. I know it seems like I'm just complaining but it's important not to get complicit. I mean like this New York Times article that outlines the problems with de Blasio's plan. Yes, it is a form of complaining, but it is also keeping politicians honest: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/22/nyregion/nyc-homeless-shelter-maps.html
I feel for you. I have many friends who feel the same way. I also agree with a lot of what you say, but not all the way to the final conclusion. For me, the glass isn't half empty or half full. It's just half and if there's any complaining, I'll be the one to go get more, if I'm able. Proactive, I guess, is the term for that. But it all has to start from somewhere. A desire to make things even microscopically better. Sometimes that's the best we can do and hope that enough other people do the same so that it finally tips the scales so that we, as a species, can move forward.

Yeah. I agree with just how tough it is to even deal with the homeless crisis. It's touched me personally through a lot of friends who were kicked out of their houses as teenagers once they came out to their parents. That's since I was a teen myself. Looong time ago. I've seen the places that are supposed to help them. I get their challenges and I understand why a lot of my friends would rather wind up dead than go there. I also live across from a shelter where people play boomboxes (yes, even today) and scream at each other at all hours of the day and night. I've even called the cops on them from time to time. Sometimes for safety reasons of the folk on the sidewalk and sometimes just to get a good night's sleep so that I won't end up fired from my job and homeless myself.

I think a living wage is a good place to start that would help prevent people becoming homeless in the first place. And that's one of many reasons why I choose to be progressive. I know the reality doesn't always (or even often, sometimes) work out that way. But I'd rather try to hold my representatives accountable than to break away from the party. That's just how I see it. Again, I'm a proactive pragmatist (with a bit more optimism than most folk).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
To no one in particular. I've just noticed something around many political conversations. Even though I'm quite energetic and outgoing most of the time, I'm no stranger to isolation and depression. I also respect that some people are using all the energy they have to simply get up in the morning and face the new day. A lot of times that means they don't have much left for active social or political change and that doesn't make their opinions on the matter any less important. It also doesn't mean that their ideas are not thought-through. Peoples is peoples.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow. Even my own state's Senator (who is a staunch Republican, mind you) is making national headlines right now for his current on-going feud with Trump . . . it's really quite an amusing thing to take in.

Senator Corker does have an interesting point though; the White House pretty much has become a combination of a reality show and an adult day care.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
On the flipside, I live on the Eastern Shore of VA and there's an island called Tangier near it. Its mayor is now in the international scene for two reasons: his support of Trump (apparently most people from the island support Trump) and his thoughts on the erosion of Tangier VS global warming.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Wow. Even my own state's Senator (who is a staunch Republican, mind you) is making national headlines right now for his current on-going feud with Trump . . . it's really quite an amusing thing to take in.

Senator Corker does have an interesting point though; the White House pretty much has become a combination of a reality show and an adult day care.
Not a Corker fan, but I'm am enjoying his brave tweets. Ha! Also, it seems Meuler is slowly composing a solid case against the Trump administration. These are troubling times.

cjd874

Reaction score
Not a Corker fan, but I'm am enjoying his brave tweets. Ha! Also, it seems Meuler is slowly composing a solid case against the Trump administration. These are troubling times.
Honestly, I love how Trump is resorting to desperate measures: he's calling for an IQ face-off against Rex Tillerson, who can obviously beat him. (Only Betsy DeVos might lose to Trump in an IQ test.) Obama never challenged anyone to an IQ battle. JFK never did that. Not even Bush 43 did that! Shows you how unfit DT is to be our leader.

I'm not up to date with the Mueller situation, but I do appreciate that he's trying his darnedest to find evidence of Russian collusion with the Trump campaign. It's clear that support for Trump is dwindling, but it's only a matter of time before things really get ugly. As in, they could name a hurricane after Trump because he's gonna try to destroy anyone and anything in his way.