Pet Peeves

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Society, in general, has a very anti-book mentality anymore. Heck, I remember Kayne Pest hates books so much that when he wrote his autobiography and had it published, it was only 52 pages long - an egomaniac like him, you'd think his autobiography would be a never-ending story. :stick_out_tongue:
Just another degree in the decline of civilization. People can't read, let alone write, or even spell. I'm a stickler for grammar, and in the last 15 years or more, seeing all the poorly written replies or posts on any website (even a few here) make me cringe.
There is something I've come to love about reading, that engages your mind and imagination that television just can't compare with. You're actively engaged, as opposed to passively staring at a screen. And it does take a fair degree of concentration to read. Maybe that's why it's such a chore for anyone with only a 2nd-grade reading level, like the celebrated Mr. Pest.

I'm with Drtooth, in grade school I loved reading, hated book reports. That's why I had a rotation of my five favorite books, so every few months just rehash an old report, easy B+, minimum effort. Now that my school days are long behind me,
reading has become a much more enjoyable way to spend time.

I was so lucky to grow up in the 70's with Sesame Street, and especially the Electric Company, that got our generation fired up to WANT to read. Thank you, Morgan Freeman/Easy Reader. You're still da bomb.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There is something I've come to love about reading, that engages your mind and imagination that television just can't compare with.
I know a lot of people - including Caroll Spinney - have said the same about radio back in the days when TV was first coming into vogue, in that when listen to a story on the radio, your imagination creates the visuals in your head for you, as opposed to seeing incredibly fake looking mock-ups of sets on a TV screen. And I suppose I can agree with that . . . maybe that has something to do with why it seems like whenever a movie is adapted from a book, it never can quite measure up to the book.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yes indeed. Case in point, Roald Dahl, one of my top three favorite authors of all time- responsible for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

All decent movies, but the books are still much better.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This only relates to those of you who drive.

Like clockwork, when I'm driving at night, some yahoo in a pickup truck not only tailgates me, but feels the need to put on his hi-beams, making the night as bright as daytime.

Great amount of light if you want to read, or get a tan, but NOT WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING!!!!

His hi-beams blind you, and then you can't see the road in front of you, making it easier for an accident to happen.

I need to invent some silver mirror reflecting plate or something, that comes out of my trunk, to shine his lights back at him and see how much he likes it. This sounds like a job for MacGuyver.

Second driving peeve. Relates only to those of you who drive. Same d-bag pickup truck. Crowded mall parking lot. Everybody trying to get a space, you know the deal.
Once this pickup was parked taking up FOUR spots. One spot for each wheel. So now because of this guy's arrogance, three other people can't park.

Apparently this ticked off enough people, this guy had about fifty shopping carts surrounding his truck, so it'll take a little time before he can leave.
His precious monster truck, engulfed in shopping carts five deep.

Rude drivers, beware. Your lack of courtesy makes others touchy.
Be a d-bag at your own risk.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
This only relates to those of you who drive.

Like clockwork, when I'm driving at night, some yahoo in a pickup truck not only tailgates me, but feels the need to put on his hi-beams, making the night as bright as daytime.

Great amount of light if you want to read, or get a tan, but NOT WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING!!!!

His hi-beams blind you, and then you can't see the road in front of you, making it easier for an accident to happen.

I need to invent some silver mirror reflecting plate or something, that comes out of my trunk, to shine his lights back at him and see how much he likes it. This sounds like a job for MacGuyver.

Second driving peeve. Relates only to those of you who drive. Same d-bag pickup truck. Crowded mall parking lot. Everybody trying to get a space, you know the deal.
Once this pickup was parked taking up FOUR spots. One spot for each wheel. So now because of this guy's arrogance, three other people can't park.

Apparently this ticked off enough people, this guy had about fifty shopping carts surrounding his truck, so it'll take a little time before he can leave.
His precious monster truck, engulfed in shopping carts five deep.

Rude drivers, beware. Your lack of courtesy makes others touchy.
Be a d-bag at your own risk.
Shopping carts... hilarious. I'd have been tempted to gently, thoughtfully release all that poor trapped air in his tires...

Re: brights. Adjust your side mirrors so they throw the light back in the driver's face.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Morning shows. I just cannot stand them at all, except for maybe a few. All the shows just seem to do is just talk and not play any music at all. It's annoying.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Morning shows. I just cannot stand them at all, except for maybe a few. All the shows just seem to do is just talk and not play any music at all. It's annoying.
i don't like live with Kelly and Ryan, i can't stand Kelly ripa , she is such a egotistic, petty, overbearing parasite.