And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Here's a fantastic speech by John McCain about the rise of Trump/Bannon branded nationalism that has taken over the Republican party. This will be the Senator's legacy. As an American, I'm proud of that and proud of his military service.

Here's a better Facebook clip, but one has to have Facebook to see it:

CLIP

Trump's response to this was to threaten McCain that he will "fight back". He's not going to do any soul searching or listen to reason. He's just going to react in the most vicious way possible to a man who's given his entire life to the service of America.

Trump supporters, you have little, if any, moral ground left to stand on. This has nothing to do with being a progressive or a conservative. This has to do with following a leader with absolutely no moral compass. A leader who tells you that those here, but legally and illegally, who pick fruit for cents on the dollar are somehow here to rape and pillage and to ruin America. This is not just wrong, it isn't supported by any legitimate statistics. This is just shameful.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
While McCain continues to earn more and more respect for me, I still reserve a level of apprehension, because he's still conservative, and I know how often conservatives will say what they have to when they have to in order to gain what they want . . . don't forget, yeah, he eventually jumped on board and voted against Trumpcare, but he was still not only supporting it but also supporting the repeal of ACA after he had been diagonsed with and treated for brain cancer.

At the same time, I'm also having an incredibly hard time swallowing George W. Bush of all people speaking out against how bigotry has become emboldened in America because of Trump. I remember what it was like during the Bush Administration: he often openly spoke out against "them evil homosexters," not to mention anyone who wasn't wealthy, white, and conservative pretty much was regarded as nothing more than a second or even lower class citizen; religious and parental groups were trying to shut down PBS for "promoting tolerance and acceptance towards homosexuals" all because one episode of one show featured a character with "two mommies" (that and the "We Are Family" music video with characters from PBS, Nickelodeon, and Disney was somehow promoting homosexuality, according to them); parents were burning Harry Potter books for "trying to brainwash our children into an evil cult" because J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore. Oh, and lest we forget Kanye West's infamous, "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People" rant on live TV that left Mike Myers looking like a deer in the headlights.

Of course, I suppose I could somehow be optimisitic and look at this as these people finally receiving the wake-up they've desperately been needing to see how it's actually their party responsible for the problems in this country, not the other way around.

In fact, I'm currently sitting alone in my room right now: I'm weathering a possible combination of Hand Foot and Mouth Disease and a secondary bacterial infection; whenever I look in the mirror, I almost look like a leper. I think about how Jesus not only had compassion on lepers, but also healed them . . . I feel like Jesus would still love me, but then I also think of how conservatives would probably tell me Jesus hates me because I'm liberal, and that my disease is punishment from God for not supporting Trump.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
While McCain continues to earn more and more respect for me, I still reserve a level of apprehension, because he's still conservative, and I know how often conservatives will say what they have to when they have to in order to gain what they want . . . don't forget, yeah, he eventually jumped on board and voted against Trumpcare, but he was still not only supporting it but also supporting the repeal of ACA after he had been diagonsed with and treated for brain cancer.

At the same time, I'm also having an incredibly hard time swallowing George W. Bush of all people speaking out against how bigotry has become emboldened in America because of Trump. I remember what it was like during the Bush Administration: he often openly spoke out against "them evil homosexters," not to mention anyone who wasn't wealthy, white, and conservative pretty much was regarded as nothing more than a second or even lower class citizen; religious and parental groups were trying to shut down PBS for "promoting tolerance and acceptance towards homosexuals" all because one episode of one show featured a character with "two mommies" (that and the "We Are Family" music video with characters from PBS, Nickelodeon, and Disney was somehow promoting homosexuality, according to them); parents were burning Harry Potter books for "trying to brainwash our children into an evil cult" because J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore. Oh, and lest we forget Kanye West's infamous, "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People" rant on live TV that left Mike Myers looking like a deer in the headlights.

Of course, I suppose I could somehow be optimisitic and look at this as these people finally receiving the wake-up they've desperately been needing to see how it's actually their party responsible for the problems in this country, not the other way around.

In fact, I'm currently sitting alone in my room right now: I'm weathering a possible combination of Hand Foot and Mouth Disease and a secondary bacterial infection; whenever I look in the mirror, I almost look like a leper. I think about how Jesus not only had compassion on lepers, but also healed them . . . I feel like Jesus would still love me, but then I also think of how conservatives would probably tell me Jesus hates me because I'm liberal, and that my disease is punishment from God for not supporting Trump.
It was Karl Rove that got GW Bush to run as an Evangelical. That's not something his father really ever did. GHW Bush felt that religion was best left as a private matter. Part of the Evangelical platform was to scapegoat LGBT people. People like me are treated like the "Religious Right's" whipping boy. I'm encouraged that you see how GWB tried to scapegoat us for the downfall of civilization as the same thing that Trump used against Mexican immigrants. These people are not a menace. They don't contribute any more to crime than any other group of people, but Trump plays off that perception because people are frustrated and they want someone to blame for their ills. They blame LGBT people for feeling uncomfortable, having to think about people that they'd rather not see and that Christians are reducing in numbers. They blame immigrants for creating crime and taking jobs and healhcare from other Americans. None of this is true. It's all distraction and deflection. It's all terrible. And the fact that simple things like two members of the same sex wanting to get married or actually even having the right to be with one another is still seen as upholding some sort of moral code while these same people support the debauchery of Trump with no issue is the ultimate hypocrisy.

As for the recent callous phone call Trump placed to the widow of fallen soldier, La David Johnson, we now have a clearer picture as to what happened. Here's how the responsibility is shared.

Gen. Kelly - informed Trump that few Presidents actually place a phone call to the families of the fallen because that's not really who they want to hear from. A letter, and often some sort of other contact, is usually the route the President goes. Trump wanted to call anyway, a noble thing, so Kelly told him that soldiers know the hazards of war when they enlist and bravely go forward anyway out of a sense of duty and honor.

Trump - places the call and garbles this message into something like, "Your husband knew what he was getting into, but that probably doesn't make you feel better." The intent was the same, but Trump lacks verbal skills and doesn't have the best track record with empathy, so it came out all wonky. Instead of trying to clear this up with the family, he goes on the warpath blaming everybody and lying and stating that Obama and GWB never called the families etc. Both Presidents always wrote letters, often met with the widows and even met the caskets as they arrived in America. Trump was also weeks late in doing much of anything about the fallen soldiers, including even mentioning them, for weeks until now. That's not okay! If you can tweet about slights from other politicians, you can honor fallen soldiers. He also mentioned Gen. Kelly's fallen son without permission from Kelly. Tacky.

Congresswoman Wilson - was so mad about Trump's callous nature that she chose to politicize something very private. Even though the soldier's mother and wife backed up her claims, it doesn't mean they wanted to publicize this because it eclipses the honor of La David Johnson. That was tacky and uncalled for.

This, I believe, is a completely fair assessment of what happened.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Why? Just why is Barack Obama going back on the campaign trail again?

Who will be next? Hillary Clinton?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since Trump is so reluctant to help anybody he perceives has brought misfortune on themselves, I can only imagine he'll refuse to help California's wildfire devastation, considering they're a very liberal state, and one of his most vocal opponents, he'll probably blame them for bringing their wildfires on themselves for being a liberal state. :stick_out_tongue:
I CALLED IT!

No actual statement from Trump, but this is pretty much what his supporters are actually saying about the wildfires and the cleanup efforts being made.