Where are the older humans?

Censored

Reaction score
I want to clarify my comment. My main problem is that there was no official good-bye or send off. Others (and you are clearly passionate about this) may have different views. I did not intend to speak for all.
That's like saying it's ok for employers to racially discriminate as long as they're nice about it.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
That's like saying it's ok for employers to racially discriminate as long as they're nice about it.
Fair point. If I were fired from my job, it would be hard to come back the next day if I were asked to finish out the week. Still, I'm glad they are being included in the anniversary. I don't think it was a malicious dismissal. I mean, it sucked, but the Workshop understands and appreciates and knows how important they are to the legacy. Again just moving in a new direction, i guess. I dunno... I am surprised that they had Gordon go. He seemed to be the most prominant out of the originals at the end there. He was very active.

jobi71

Reaction score
I was not going to respond to this, but you are so far off the mark it is insulting. It is nothing like that. They had contracts. They chose not to renew the contracts. This happens all the time in every industry especially film and television. None of these performers were guaranteed jobs. It may have been shocking or disappointing to find these characters gone, but that is the business of show. Those there the longest generally make the most money. Do you protest when a corporate/government entity lets go of employees to cut payroll and hire new people at a lower rate? How exactly were all these characters going to fit into the new formula? There are dozens/hundreds of cases of characters being dropped from shows. I have never seen you speak up for them. I am very angry and offended with your comment, but I still respect your commitment to these performers, but how DARE you associate my post with racism. What an easy cop-out. You are despicable. (Respond if you want - I will never respond back).

Censored

Reaction score
I was not going to respond to this, but you are so far off the mark it is insulting. It is nothing like that. They had contracts. They chose not to renew the contracts. This happens all the time in every industry especially film and television. None of these performers were guaranteed jobs. It may have been shocking or disappointing to find these characters gone, but that is the business of show. Those there the longest generally make the most money. Do you protest when a corporate/government entity lets go of employees to cut payroll and hire new people at a lower rate? How exactly were all these characters going to fit into the new formula? There are dozens/hundreds of cases of characters being dropped from shows. I have never seen you speak up for them. I am very angry and offended with your comment, but I still respect your commitment to these performers, but how DARE you associate my post with racism. What an easy cop-out. You are despicable. (Respond if you want - I will never respond back).
If they were fired because of their age, it is the same as if someone is fired because of their race. It makes no difference HOW it's done. It's still bigotry and discrimination. That was my only point.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that is not quite the same thing, race and age in this situation. It's really not.

Censored

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that is not quite the same thing, race and age in this situation. It's really not.
Of course it's not. Age discrimination is still more socially acceptable and it's done overtly. Race discrimination is frowned upon, so it's done covertly. Justifying discriminating against someone simply because they're elderly reminds me of how some justify gender discrimination. They might say, "Well, racism is one thing, but let's face it, men and women are different and there are certain jobs women should never be considered for." BALONEY! Find out what someone is capable of and qualified for before making a determination. The same goes for the elderly. Any opportunity that is limited because of what someone is instead of what someone can do is bigotry. Period.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
Of course it's not. Age discrimination is still more socially acceptable and it's done overtly. Race discrimination is frowned upon, so it's done covertly. Justifying discriminating against someone simply because they're elderly reminds me of how some justify gender discrimination. They might say, "Well, racism is one thing, but let's face it, men and women are different and there are certain jobs women should never be considered for." BALONEY! Find out what someone is capable of and qualified for before making a determination. The same goes for the elderly. Any opportunity that is limited because of what someone is instead of what someone can do is bigotry. Period.
I don't believe any sort of descrimination is okay. Someone should be hired or fired based on their ability to do a job based on what the producers are looking for (I'm specifically referring to showbiz right now but it can really be applied to any job. It seems as though when they moved to HBO, a lot of change came with it. They cut back its cast. Maybe you could say they went younger but they kept Allen and let go Gina. Aren't they around the same age? Remember when they decided to get rid of Around the Corner? Half the cast went with it. That was just because they weren't needed anymore. I guess they just felt that way with the recent "let go". I just think it's sad because those folks are part of the fabric that created this legendary show. So it's disappointing. I don't know what kind of descrimination you'd call it. I think it's simply that they are revamping the whole concept of the show...like they did when Elmo became such a star and so many of the other core characters became secondary.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
HBO has had nothing to do with the creative decisions of the show or whatever directions they are going in - all that HBO is air the show and provide financial stability; other than that, Sesame Workshop still makes all of the creative decisions themselves.

Unfortunately, in recent years, SW has brought on a lot of new employees that previously worked for Viacom, so there's a much more "corporate" approach to handling the show these days, hence many of the changes we've seen in recent years.

Censored

Reaction score
HBO has had nothing to do with the creative decisions of the show or whatever directions they are going in - all that HBO is air the show and provide financial stability; other than that, Sesame Workshop still makes all of the creative decisions themselves.

Unfortunately, in recent years, SW has brought on a lot of new employees that previously worked for Viacom, so there's a much more "corporate" approach to handling the show these days, hence many of the changes we've seen in recent years.
Be that as it may, I won't be subscribing to HBO anytime soon.