And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Also, when I call out words, terms and wordplay, I've gotta say where I'm coming from. Little personal history. However passionate I may be, and usually it's a lot, I'm not very cynical. I was raised by an attorney. I know the tricks people use to get out of stuff in court and in life.

I know this because when I got in trouble as a kid, my dad would get out his yellow legal pad with not just notes, but an entirely outlined argument with roman numerals and subsections. It's one of those "choose your adventures" books. He had a path to travel for whatever answer I gave. I'm sure there was always something I did wrong. I was a kid and that's what kids do. Our language is how we obscure that. You'll see how I list and outline a lot of my ideas and statements. That is where it comes from. Well, that and research papers I used to do. But mostly that.

If I ever encourage any of you to use a different term, phrase or that a particular part of an argument is probably a dead end, I'm actually not being snarky. I'm trying to help. I know it's strange that I'd be helping someone argue against my point, but that's actually completely accurate. If you can successfully make a point with me, it's likely you can reach people who are at all reachable. While I'm wrong a lot, I'm not about this. My siblings never learned how make a case against my parents. While I didn't always win, how I defended myself was always appreciated.

So, when stating a point of view to me, hyperbole, overused phrases or branded language that's usually some sort of hashtag on Twitter will always be weak tea to me and likely that to other people who don't already somewhat agree with y'all. Do what you want and post what you want. Just leaving this here in case anyone really cares. None of us really knows much in the world. I'm certainly on that boat. But I do know a lot about this.

Also, my point when discussing these things isn't to win. It's always to find the truth that helps people. Not just my people, but most people. That means even if it shoots my initial view to pieces. I don't want to be on a horrible side of anything. As a younger person, I was in several cases and I'm kind of ashamed of that. However, that's how we grow. I also never liked to talk to kids when I was a kid. I admire adults and adult discussions. That's now changing that I have 6 nieces and nephews. They're all so funny and cute and how they think is amazing to me now. Anyway, you know more about stuff that probably doesn't interest you. My point was made a few paragraphs ago. I respect you guys. Even those of you with whom I disagree at times. That's what I'm saying.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Saw an interesting point on another thread and thought it was kind of interesting. Well, at least to me. I'd like to hear other viewpoints.

Basically the point was regarding all the sexual abuse allegations that have come forward lately whether it's been politics or Hollywood. Why now? The poster's point was that we've reached a tipping point. President Trump's defeat of Hillary Clinton has led to a lot of women saying “I don’t care anymore, these ###holes don’t get to get away with it.” When a sexual predator gets elected to the White House it's clear there are plenty of women who have decided it's time to rise up. Trump's victory played a key role in this.

So I guess that's an accomplishment :wink:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Saw an interesting point on another thread and thought it was kind of interesting. Well, at least to me. I'd like to hear other viewpoints.

Basically the point was regarding all the sexual abuse allegations that have come forward lately whether it's been politics or Hollywood. Why now? The poster's point was that we've reached a tipping point. President Trump's defeat of Hillary Clinton has led to a lot of women saying “I don’t care anymore, these ###holes don’t get to get away with it.” When a sexual predator gets elected to the White House it's clear there are plenty of women who have decided it's time to rise up. Trump's victory played a key role in this.

So I guess that's an accomplishment :wink:
I think you're on to something. The tipping point was that Access Hollywood tape. With any other candidate in any other year, they'd be toast. Instead of running from it, he pretended to be a "locker room jock" (as if he's ever exercised a day in his privileged life) and turned what is actually sexual assault into bragging rights. That's a bridge too far for many people. Women make up half the country and world in general. The fact that they're still seen as submissive to men is something I've never understood. But enough became enough and they stopped taking guff from the powerful men in their lives and stopped settling. It's not just Trump. It's the entire Fox News lineup of, I guess it's now 5 different people, 3 of them hosts, one the CEO of the network and another a powerful producer. This is not really hyperbole. Fox News should be called the Grab-a$$ Network. When enough confront powerful people, others gain strength and realize that they can find some of that too. That's what I think happened. Trump played a roll, but the ball was already rolling. How's that for mixed metaphors?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I think you're on to something. The tipping point was that Access Hollywood tape. With any other candidate in any other year, they'd be toast. Instead of running from it, he pretended to be a "locker room jock" (as if he's ever exercised a day in his privileged life) and turned what is actually sexual assault into bragging rights. That's a bridge too far for many people. Women make up half the country and world in general. The fact that they're still seen as submissive to men is something I've never understood. But enough became enough and they stopped taking guff from the powerful men in their lives and stopped settling. It's not just Trump. It's the entire Fox News lineup of, I guess it's now 5 different people, 3 of them hosts, one the CEO of the network and another a powerful producer. This is not really hyperbole. Fox News should be called the Grab-a$$ Network. When enough confront powerful people, others gain strength and realize that they can find some of that too. That's what I think happened. Trump played a roll, but the ball was already rolling. How's that for mixed metaphors?
But it's much bigger than President Trump or Fox news. It's Harvey Weinstein. It's Kevin Spacey. It's Bill Cosby. The list goes on and on and on. I'm not sure we've even seen the tip of the tip of the iceberg which isn't cool. And that doesn't even touch the private sector.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The fact that they're still seen as submissive to men is something I've never understood.
I agree 100% here. Some of my best friends are women and I'd take them over another guy any day. Like I said earlier, I say a lot of things to get reactions, which is why it's surprising for some people that I'm something of a feminist in my own right. But yeah, it's not cool and should end ASAP.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Also, when I call out words, terms and wordplay, I've gotta say where I'm coming from. Little personal history. However passionate I may be, and usually it's a lot, I'm not very cynical. I was raised by an attorney. I know the tricks people use to get out of stuff in court and in life.

I know this because when I got in trouble as a kid, my dad would get out his yellow legal pad with not just notes, but an entirely outlined argument with roman numerals and subsections. It's one of those "choose your adventures" books. He had a path to travel for whatever answer I gave. I'm sure there was always something I did wrong. I was a kid and that's what kids do. Our language is how we obscure that. You'll see how I list and outline a lot of my ideas and statements. That is where it comes from. Well, that and research papers I used to do. But mostly that.

If I ever encourage any of you to use a different term, phrase or that a particular part of an argument is probably a dead end, I'm actually not being snarky. I'm trying to help. I know it's strange that I'd be helping someone argue against my point, but that's actually completely accurate. If you can successfully make a point with me, it's likely you can reach people who are at all reachable. While I'm wrong a lot, I'm not about this. My siblings never learned how make a case against my parents. While I didn't always win, how I defended myself was always appreciated.

So, when stating a point of view to me, hyperbole, overused phrases or branded language that's usually some sort of hashtag on Twitter will always be weak tea to me and likely that to other people who don't already somewhat agree with y'all. Do what you want and post what you want. Just leaving this here in case anyone really cares. None of us really knows much in the world. I'm certainly on that boat. But I do know a lot about this.

Also, my point when discussing these things isn't to win. It's always to find the truth that helps people. Not just my people, but most people. That means even if it shoots my initial view to pieces. I don't want to be on a horrible side of anything. As a younger person, I was in several cases and I'm kind of ashamed of that. However, that's how we grow. I also never liked to talk to kids when I was a kid. I admire adults and adult discussions. That's now changing that I have 6 nieces and nephews. They're all so funny and cute and how they think is amazing to me now. Anyway, you know more about stuff that probably doesn't interest you. My point was made a few paragraphs ago. I respect you guys. Even those of you with whom I disagree at times. That's what I'm saying.
Reading a lot of your posts in this thread, I really appreciate your candor. Even if our views might not always align with each other, you still earned my respect.
I wish Drtooth could have taken a page from your book. There were times he was passionate on a subject, but rather than getting an open exchange of ideas, sometimes he'd resort to shouting people down. Once about five years ago, we had some disagreement over something (can't be too important, I can't remember what it was), but it ended along the lines of him saying "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, I'M RIGHT, YOU'RE WRONG, AND I'M A VERY OPEN MINDED PERSON!!!!!!!!"
The whole episode left a bad taste in my mouth, no matter how many benefits of the doubt I gave him.
While no less passionate, you've conducted yourself with great dignity. And you got my respect for that. Thank you.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You sure that's not a certain Disneyphile you're thinking of?