Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know a lot of people feel the same way about the Cadbury Bunny try-outs commercial that's been around about as long as I have, and I'm almost thirty!

At the same time, what about some of those other commercials that never go away year after year? The M&Ms bumping into Santa? The snowman who comes in and eats chicken noodle soup and melts to reveal a kid was frozen out in the snow?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Already, two local stations close to where I live have switched to Christmas music.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Can we go one year without people wigging out over the designs of Starbucks' holiday cups for a change? Granted, I don't even drink coffee, but this is becoming an every year thing, and frankly, it's just plain rote at this point.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
If there's one thing that bugs me every single year, it's that horrible cover of "Winter Wonderland" and I still don't know who's responsible for it. It's the most offensive sounding 90's synthpop soundtrack I've ever heard. And you know me, I love my 80's synth pop, but 90's synth pop sounds like a Casio Keyboard sample if it's done lazily... which this totally is. At least they play the edited version that doesn't have the terrible serial killer movie sounding opening. Really. I wish I knew who's responsible for this dreck. It's awful. And the pathetic attempt at scatting. The end just repeats long with bad scatting over and over to the point that the ending is longer than the song itself. I swear the artist behind this even says "I'm tellin' it like it is!" at one point. Yeah, like this song was always some big, profound statement or something. That was the most pathetic attempt to be hip I've ever heard, and brother I've heard and seen some pathetic attempts.

Long story short, would it kill them to play "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron Christmas" just freaking once?
The station that used to play Christmas music (an Oldies Station) went all sell out to Top 40 hits (like every other station that isn't sports or talk) a couple years ago, and I really miss the variety of songs they play. This crappier, soft rock (which shouldn't be a term anyway) is doing it, but with all the gusto of a kid going "Awwwwww....do I have to?" and replay the same songs on a loop as they usually do with their usual music. It's not the same, and I've heard that horrendous Winter Wonderland cover pop up all the time. Still, I'm more annoyed that just as they dropped the Oldies format, they added 80's music to the line up. Like I said, I love me some 80's synth pop. 90's synth pop not so much.
You’re thinking of Winter Wonderland by Eurythmics, which is one of my favorites.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I see the Grinch was on TV today already - may be the earliest in the year I've seen it so far.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I don't mind Christmas but when other places start putting out stuff or even singing Christmas way before Thanksgiving.....IT JUST MAKES ME SO MAD! Yeah I know it's been like that for quite a few years but to me it makes me really angry cause I would like everyone to just wait till Thanksgiving is over then start playing or putting up decorations but I know for a lot of people that's just how it's been. Putting up the Tree before Thanksgiving, putting lights out and other little things. We always waited till after Thanksgiving day or even that Weekend to start getting all the decorations down. We have never put the tree up early. Now I wouldn't mind having a tree up for Halloween with Halloween decorations on it then having Thanksgiving ornaments and then on to Christmas but we don't. But hey that's my opinion and every one else has theirs so I just let it go and let everyone go on their merry little way. Cause we don't like to stir up things with our fellow woman or men. Once again it's that time year to EAT A TURKEY!
Sam Turkey: HEY!
Oh sorry Sam. I forget that your one my characters who doesn't care for Thanksgiving. I know I wouldn't want my relatives hunted, killed and then deep fried, roasted or oven cooked.
Sam Turkey: *evil eyes*
Sorry. I get hungry when I talk about food. Don't worry I'll fend of anyone who tries their best to hunt you. Remember I gave you that costume. Just use that.
Sam Turkey: Yeah but I look ridiculous as a rabbit.
Yeah but it did save you from that Hunter, remember?
Sam Turkey: Yeah it did. Thanks a Giving me that. See what I did there? Huh? Huh?
Yeah I see. Stick to your job as a character who I drew.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As I always say, each holiday generally has a period to be celebrated, and that's usually the month it's in: Halloween is October, so it has the entire month of October to be celebrated; Christmas is December, so it has the entire month of December to be celebrated; Thanksgiving is November, so it should have the entire month of November to be celebrated, but it never does.

It also doesn't help that this is one of those years where's an extra week after Thanksgiving, so of course that means that many people are going to want to get to Christmas decorations and putting up the tree and stuff extra early this year.

Erine81981

Reaction score
As I always say, each holiday generally has a period to be celebrated, and that's usually the month it's in: Halloween is October, so it has the entire month of October to be celebrated; Christmas is December, so it has the entire month of December to be celebrated; Thanksgiving is November, so it should have the entire month of November to be celebrated, but it never does.

It also doesn't help that this is one of those years where's an extra week after Thanksgiving, so of course that means that many people are going to want to get to Christmas decorations and putting up the tree and stuff extra early this year.
I agree no matter what but like you said everyone or so gets ready to start decorating or buying presents during that time. I can understand that but why not just wait till after Thanksgiving not before or right after Halloween too. That's just too early to put your tree up but to each their own.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, our radio has begun with the Christmas already this year. Couldn't even wait till after Thanksgiving this year.